Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
For those of you that like the PW

For those of you that like the paperwhite, what do you like most about it? The light? The software? Screen Clarity?
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:19 AM   #2
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I only like the PW mainly for one reason: it lets me read under much wider variety of conditions. I'm no longer wedded to a good light source.

In pretty much all other ways, I prefer the k3. The pw is more compact and sexier but k3 is easier for me to hold. (I don't have normal hand so it's peculiar to me.) I like having the page turn buttons and home and back buttons. I like audio and TTS. The wifi toggle. The "ink" is darker, background is lighter than the pw unlit.

The new features that the pw has I don't really care about. I turned off cover view after 15 mins because I found it is easier to read the titles than to figure out what they are from the covers. Maybe cover view is good for the last 5 books opened but when scrolling through my largish library it's not so hot. Time remaining in chapter doesn't seem too accurate. For ex I open a chapter it says 1 min left. Ooh short chapter. Next page 1min left. Next 3 pages still 1 min left. How long is this freaking minute? I think it's messing with me. Just tell me how many more pages, ok?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I like it because...

-When adding items in collections, there is now an option to add all items on the page, a time saver when you've added a lot of books that need to go into coll
ections. I managed to update 634 books into 17 collections in less than 2 hours.
-Adding multiple books to collections is more responsive than it was with the Touch.
-The text is clear and nice to read to. Though I haven't played with any of the other fonts yet.
-So far I have not seen any of the ghosting that the Touch was plagued with.
-Viewing Collections/Books - you can now view in List mode or Cover mode. Too bad there is no way to give the collections more attractive photos.
-Scrolling through books is quick and seamless.
-The Backlight, this alone makes the PW worth keeping. Now I can comfortably read in low light settings without having to switch to my tablet. Luckily I am not plagued with any of the screen issues many users are experiencing. Though I have those four tiny light blurs at the bottom of the screen, they do not bother me because they are in the margin.
-Time to Read feature - I like this, it comes in very handy when I am ending for the evening. Though I do wish there was an option to pick time to read to the end of the chapter and the book at the same time.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I like it because...

-When adding items in collections, there is now an option to add all items on the page, a time saver when you've added a lot of books that need to go into collections.
I can do that on my K3... Open collection, press Menu key > select Add/Remove items > press Menu key again > select Add all items on this page
So maybe they've just made the option easier to get to on the PW?
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Time to read?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
-Time to Read feature - I like this, it comes in very handy when I am ending for the evening. Though I do wish there was an option to pick time to read to the end of the chapter and the book at the same time.
Is "Time to Read feature" the Chapter and Book time left at the bottom of the screen or something else?
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
ddoyle777
ddoyle777 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
I think the light makes all the difference. On my previous Kindles I used clip on lights and they threw off the balance - I was always dropping them. The cover for the previous Touch shone in my eyes when I was in bed. So, the new Paperwhite, is the Kindle I've always wanted. It's light in weight, balanced, and I can read in total darkness as the range of brightness goes low enough for me.
Either I've got a "good one" or the small area of unbalanced light at the bottom doesn't bother me.
ddoyle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
(I don't and have never had the Kindle Touch to compare).

I like the PW better than the K3 for many reasons.

It has a faster processor. It is faster in all things. Just waking it from sleep is faster. On the K3 there is always a delay while the wheel at the top spins, whether wifi/3G is on or not. There is no delay on the PW.

All operations, such as browsing through collections, are faster also.

Wifi connects faster, too. Even sending a book wirelessly from my PC to the PW is almost instantaneous.

I love the new software that allows cover or list view. (Hate the collection folder pic).

I was testing the web browser over wifi the other night. It was a lot faster. But it also crashed several times. As I didn't get it for web browsing, no matter.

The "time left in chapter" doesn't work for me. I leave it set on "time left in book." I like it! Would prefer the progress bar in addition.

I love the light. There are many, many times it will come in handy. No more worrying about grabbing a book light for a ride in the car, or carrying the Fire (SO much heavier). (Had to take the Fire last night in the car, as my daughter wanted to use the PW. Not so fun lugging it around at a football game).

I love that it is smaller, lighter, thinner, too. I have mine in the official Amazon case. Fantastic.

Last edited by booklover6; 10-13-2012 at 09:06 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
I'm loving the Paperwhite - mainly because of the light. I like that the screen is easily readable in any light condition. Which means, I can sit at the opposite end of the sofa, away from the lamp, without having to strain to see the letters (or attach some book light that never seemed to work).

I didn't have a Touch before the PW, I had a non-touch K4. To be honest, I wasn't reading on it as much as I was the Kindle app on my phone. The screen was just too dark in comparison to the phone. Now? I can't wait to read on the PW and reading on the phone has been relegated to when I'm out of the house.

So, my answer to the original question is yes. I like the light, the screen clarity and the software. The page turns are quick with a simple touch of either thumb. I like the way Collections are now alphabetized, the ease with which I can put books into collections and the overall ease of use with the touch screen.

So, IMHO, Amazon hit it out of the ball park with this e-reader and I count myself as one extremely happy customer. Of course, and as always, YMMV.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I like the touch screen and, of course, the light. The light is useful not only for reading in bed but for when I need a little more light for my aging eyes. I usually set it so that it helps the contrast but low enough that it doesn't glow and attract attention.

The time left to read is nice but it uses an average until you read enough for it to compute your reading speed.

If you're reading in a situation where you frequently have to stop reading to attend to something and you leave the reader on, will it throw off the reading time?

Also, you can toggle between "time left in book", "time left in chapter" and locations by tapping on it.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #10
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
I switched to the Kindle Paperwhite from a Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight and these are the features I most like:
  • Light allows me to read in any lighting situation
  • Higher screen resolution
  • Capacitive touch screen (it's more responsive, no accidental page turns, and those waterproof bags are now an option)
  • Time to read feature (I like to end on new chapters, now I know how long this will take me)
  • Being able to e-mail or "send to Kindle" and receive documents over Wifi instead of having to hook up to the computer every time
  • Being able to delete documents from the device without hooking up to a computer
  • Looking up words simpler (just press and hold), and the dictionary feature is leaps and bounds above the Nook's
  • Highlighting is easier
  • Automatic text justification means less time spent editing and converting files in Calibre
  • Collections
  • Being able to get suduko and a couple small games on there
  • Cover that automatically puts you back to where you left off (okay, so that's extra but the NSTWGL didn't have it)

Things I kind of miss from the Nook are custom screensavers (but this isn't really an issue with the cover I have) and the way the Nook handled PDF files (flowing the text out so you could change the font size and read instead of having to always pan/zoom). I'm also still not used to having no physical buttons, and having to touch all the way over on the left margin to go back a page, but I will adapt.

Basically, if I could just get a Paperwhite that has a single-color screen (instead of technicolor shadows), I'd be vastly happy with the device.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #11
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
The major ones:
- Time to read
- book covers
- access to cloud library
- higher screen resolution
- the wake function of the Amazon cases, though at an additional $40

I wish the contrast was as high as on the K4B, though.

I also hope to get two devices with non-defective screens at some point. As long as there aRe no color blotches, dead pixel type holes and things stuck below the screen that make it shine white in some spots, I'll be good. I also wish it had page turn buttons.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #12
wynand32
Enthusiast
wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 505
I'm coming from Nook, and what I like so far about the PW (which is likely not specific to the PW itself) is that sync works and that Amazon fixed it quickly when it didn't work. I struggled with an original Nook 3G that stopped syncing about a year ago, and B&N simply ignored the issue and recently suggested I upgrade to a newer Nook device as a solution.

Otherwise, I think the PW is a nice device and I like the onscreen keyboard for taking notes. I'm not terribly bothered by the inconsistencies in the light, although I'm awaiting a replacement today to see if I can get one that's a touch better.

Overall, I'm liking the Kindle ecosystem because the Android and iPad apps are very good and, again, everything syncs as it should. I never did experience consistent and reliable sync with the Nook ecosystem, and so I'm therefore very pleased to this point.

Update: Also, I just read outside in direct sunlight for the first time since I received my PW, and that's really where I use an e-ink reader the most. When I'm not in direct sunlight, I tend to use one of my other readers (iPad, Nexus 7, smartphone). And I have to say: wow, the PW is excellent in direct sunlight. Contrast is great, text is sharp, and it's a pleasure to read. Much better than the Nook 3G that it replaces. And of course in this environment, there's zero inconsistency to the screen.

So, add in the nice touch UI, good keyboard, and great syncing, and the PW is a nearly perfect device for me. Since I bought it mainly to use at the beach and other times when the family is spending time outside, I expect to be very happy with it.

Last edited by wynand32; 10-13-2012 at 01:22 PM.
wynand32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #13
Carmelreader
Groupie
Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, kindle HDX 8.9, ipad pro, ipad mini 2, Voyage, Oasis 2
I love the screen during the day and in dim lighting. Wonderful! In a pitch black room, my new one is pretty good too. Better than a book light or even than the lighted cover of the KK, which I have really liked.

I love the covers, the different fonts (would love more of those), the resolution, how responsive the touch is and easy to use. I like the time to read.

And I also love the new Amazon cover. It not only wakes it up etc, but it feels good in the hand and is nicely compact.
Carmelreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #14
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I love the screen light, I like the smaller form factor (vs. Touch). I like that its a smaller package with the Amazon cover than the Touch with lighted cover I had previously.

Screen contrast and fonts are a bonus as I was just fine with the resolution and contrast on the Touch.

I like the fact that the screen is much less "sunken in" than on the Touch.

I prefer the darker color to the silver of the Touch.

I like the magentic clasp that turns the Kindle on (with the cover)

I like Whispersync between my phone and PW.

I do kinda like the "time left in chapter".

One thing I would like to see implemented in future software:

On the Kindle app for phones, two finger swipe up increases brightness. Two fingers down decreases brightness.

Overall, very happy with my PW.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #15
Dropout
Enthusiast
Dropout began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Kindle 8th Gen
The screen is what makes the whole thing worth it. It looks crisp, it's very responsive when navigating, and the light is brilliant. Coming from a K2i there is nothing I miss. Page turn buttons are nothing to me. It's much lighter and the compact size makes it much easier to bring along with me. It fits perfectly in my suits' inside pockets.
Dropout is offline   Reply With Quote