Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
Wazle
Wazle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch
Kindle 4 Touch "write-protected"

Hey,

I am using my Kindle with Calibre on Linux (Ubuntu). Everything started great. Now the second day I am not longer able to load my Kindle with books. It says it is "write-protected". This is the failure message:

Code:
calibre, version 0.8.61
FEHLER: Fehler: Fehler bei der Kommunikation mit dem Gerät
(Error cummunicating with device)
[Errno 30] Das Dateisystem ist nur lesbar: u'/media/Kindle/metadata.calibre'
(Datasystem read-only)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 82, in run
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 339, in _books
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kindle/driver.py", line 335, in books
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 246, in books
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 391, in sync_booklists
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 389, in write_prefix
IOError: [Errno 30] Das Dateisystem ist nur lesbar(Datasystem read-only): u'/media/Kindle/metadata.calibre'
The italic bold in bracelets is the translation of my german system message.

I hope you guys are able to help me. I need this sweet machine to be filled with new books.

Thank you!
Wazle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Try to unmount & unplug, then re-plug the device, while looking at the log file (sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog).

Chances are that it gets mounted read-only because of potential errors on the file system, but this is all speculation. Only the log file will reveal the reason.

Side note: you did unmount ("Auswerfen") the device before unplugging it, right? Unplugging USB devices without unmounting them first is one of the most promising and easy ways to screw them up
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert