Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2007, 09:44 PM   #1
dunster
dunster began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader
A bookstore for people who like the books at the grocery store shelf

I am not one of the people who complains because the reader does not play dvds and retrieve my golf balls. But I would like to be able to get books that I want to read that I can get at the local library. The Sony ebookstore has a limited collection of "classics" and a large collection of popular trash, the latter for about the same price as the real books. It does not appear to have an English Dictionary of ANY kind on its site! Wouldn't it be nice to be able to look up a word while you were reading? It does, however, have "Jeff Foxworthy's Redneck Dictionary II". The perfect device and ebookstore for Americans today.
dunster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:24 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Most books at the checkout are romance trash. The best use for romance pbooks is to recycle it into toilet paper. I saw on TV the other day (in HD 1080i) how they make toilet paper from recycled paper.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2007, 11:07 PM   #3
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I am not one of the people who complains because the reader does not play dvds and retrieve my golf balls. But I would like to be able to get books that I want to read that I can get at the local library. The Sony ebookstore has a limited collection of "classics" and a large collection of popular trash, the latter for about the same price as the real books. It does not appear to have an English Dictionary of ANY kind on its site! Wouldn't it be nice to be able to look up a word while you were reading? It does, however, have "Jeff Foxworthy's Redneck Dictionary II". The perfect device and ebookstore for Americans today.
A dictionary for the Sony Reader does not makes much sense to me. I can not imagine leaving a book that I am reading, just to open up an ebook dictionary and try and find the word I do not know. A built in dictionary like the Kindle would be nice though.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:45 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'd agree, if a dictionary is a big deal, look toward the Kindle or the Cybook Gen3. Possibly the iLiad if you want to invest that much money.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:56 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Lack of dictionary lookup is a major shortcoming of the Sony Reader. Perhaps you should have bought a CyBook Gen3 instead . The MobiPocket store sells close to 200 different dictionaries, and they work GREAT on the Gen3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2007, 11:44 AM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
We have romance fans around here, some of them have high standards and I respect that but I guess what they like would not be on grocery store check out shelves. That shelf is usually a preselected range of popular books and I don't understand what criteriae those books are chosen from and who does that selection. Some places have better judgement as to include HP or something as good but it usually stops there.

Does anyone know how it works in that industry?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:49 AM   #7
Astropin
Connoisseur
Astropin is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505, N800
Quote:

I found over 1800 classics on Connect. That might be "limited" to some, but not to me.
Astropin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:41 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Any number of titles is limited if measured against the list you want to read and found lacking.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:31 PM   #9
dunster

My main point about the dictionary was that any bookstore that does not have a single dictionary available for purchase is not much of a bookstore. As for the "classics", the collection is oddly limited. Many of the books are not necessarily classics, just what they appear to have obtained from some sort of collection. For example, they have every single thing George Bernard Shaw ever wrote, many of which were hardly classics, but nothing written by William Faulkner!
Old 11-30-2007, 03:37 PM   #10
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
I think your being a bit unfair dunster, a dictionary isnt something people read! and its a sony reader! it would be impossible to use a dictionary as a dictionary so why put one in their store.

If you really want one, buy one in html or LIT?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:15 PM   #11
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
For example, they have every single thing George Bernard Shaw ever wrote, many of which were hardly classics, but nothing written by William Faulkner!
William Faulkner died in 1962. His first book was published in something like 1926. I seriously doubt any of his books are in the public domain. I don't know who actually holds the e-rights to his various books, but whoever it is obviously hasn't made them readily available. I found no Kindle editions of Faulkner's books either.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:32 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And they sell the Soap Opera magazines and trashy gossip rags at the checkouts too.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:39 PM   #13
dunster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
William Faulkner died in 1962. His first book was published in something like 1926. I seriously doubt any of his books are in the public domain. I don't know who actually holds the e-rights to his various books, but whoever it is obviously hasn't made them readily available. I found no Kindle editions of Faulkner's books either.
I guess I have not realized the complexities of getting stuff out in electronic form. I can't really blame Sony for not having something no one can get. However, I still cannot believe that they do not have an English dictionary available. Perhaps I just can't find it on their site.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:16 PM   #14
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
I guess I have not realized the complexities of getting stuff out in electronic form. I can't really blame Sony for not having something no one can get. However, I still cannot believe that they do not have an English dictionary available. Perhaps I just can't find it on their site.
They probably don't sell a dictionary because it wouldn't be of much use on the Sony. Also, at one page at a time, it would be really difficult to use, as was mentioned upthread. I don't, however, think selling a dictionary is the sine qua non of being a "real" bookstore. There are a lot of "real" specialty booksellers around that don't sell dictionaries because they aren't part of the specialty, unless you count things like "So-and-so's Dictionary of [Insert Genre Here] Trivia".

As an aside. Faulkner remains one of my all time favorite authors. The Sound and the Fury is pure genius.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote