Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 12-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #76
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
yes power control or stock settings. does not work. looks i have to reflash and start again app by app.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #77
coleoptera1
coleoptera1 began at the beginning.

Device: PE (ermine)
Virgin PE - Update to Allmine??

Hi guys, thanks for all the hard work. I have a PE that I updated to Ermine a while ago, and things are fine. I also purchased a new PE from the last Woot sale, that I'm going to give as a CMas present. I was going to update to Ermine, but have been waiting as long as possible to see what new developments the wonderful user community could come up with. This Allmine looks terrific. I've read this entire post, but being rather inexperienced with all the lingo I thought I'd see if I could get some "basic" help.

1 - This is a brand-new, not even powered-up PE. Can I install Allmine immediately, or do I need to do any prep work? (Install Ermine, create a library on an SD card (do I even need an SD card to start), anything else???)

2- Does it matter that I'm doing this for someone else? I'd prefer not to use my gmail or other personal information.

3 - Does Allmine fix the app to sdcard issue? That is the major issue I have with my current PE. The amazon app store works well for me, but I do find myself running out of space on the internal storage. I tried to follow the threads on how to fix it, but the reprogramming was intimidating for me.

4 - Is there a consolidated place with all the install directions? If not, could you put it as an answer to this message or update the UPDATE sticky? I'm afraid there are lots of bits and pieces of instructions all over this board and I'm worried about skipping a step.

5 - Once updated to Allmine, what else should I do to get this new PE ready to give as a gift? (If Allmine didn't fix the app to sd card, how can that be done? Should I preload Amazon market or other apps? If I include an SD card as part of the gift is there anything that I could/should do to make that better? Keep in mind that this PE won't be mine, so I would like to only install things that don't require an account to get them)

Thanks again to everyone who has worked so hard to keeping the PE's so great! Merry Christmas!
coleoptera1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #78
pablob
Connoisseur
pablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheese

Device: OnyxBook M96, enTourage Pocket eDGe (retired)
I will try to answer your questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleoptera1 View Post
1 - This is a brand-new, not even powered-up PE. Can I install Allmine immediately, or do I need to do any prep work? (Install Ermine, create a library on an SD card (do I even need an SD card to start), anything else???)
I would suggest that you turn it on and use the tricks to get around the registration. I'm not sure how, but after re-flashing there no need to go through the registration again (I don't understand that completely). Then, the next step would depend on what kind of usage do you envision for the gift (if you know the person, that'd help ).

If it's going to be used mainly as an e-reader by a non-tech-savvy person, I would leave the standard Ermine there and nothing else.

If the person will want to use the tablet side more, install apps from the Market and more, I would recommend installing the Golden Allmine (after getting around the registration). If you're adding an SD card to the package, I would move the library to SD before flashing the Golden Allmine.

Quote:
2- Does it matter that I'm doing this for someone else? I'd prefer not to use my gmail or other personal information.
I don't think it does, but that means you should not link the device to any Google accounts after installing Allmine. When the person receives it, she/he can go to the Accounts option in the Settings to link it to their account.

Quote:
3 - Does Allmine fix the app to sdcard issue? That is the major issue I have with my current PE. The amazon app store works well for me, but I do find myself running out of space on the internal storage. I tried to follow the threads on how to fix it, but the reprogramming was intimidating for me.
In theory, the Golden Allmine ROM should fix the issue since it repartitions the PE flash so the apps partitions is larger than 2 GiB. There has been a report that after installing more than 322 MiB of apps the Market refuses to install more, but sideloading is still possible.

Quote:
4 - Is there a consolidated place with all the install directions? If not, could you put it as an answer to this message or update the UPDATE sticky? I'm afraid there are lots of bits and pieces of instructions all over this board and I'm worried about skipping a step.
For flashing the Golden Allmine ROM, go to the first post in this thread, get the rc3 zipfile (the one at the bottom), and read the instructions in the README.txt file. That should have everything you need to do to update the PE.

Quote:
5 - Once updated to Allmine, what else should I do to get this new PE ready to give as a gift? (If Allmine didn't fix the app to sd card, how can that be done? Should I preload Amazon market or other apps? If I include an SD card as part of the gift is there anything that I could/should do to make that better? Keep in mind that this PE won't be mine, so I would like to only install things that don't require an account to get them)
That's a lot of questions, so I'll answer the ones I have an answer to.
As I said before, if you are including an SD card, move the library to it before installing the Golden Allmine ROM. The rest, I would say is a matter of personal preference...

I hope I have clarified at least some of your doubts, and that the person receiving the PE will enjoy it!
pablob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #79
coleoptera1

Thank you! I'm glad you said something about doing the registration stuff first. I'm not sure if it would have let me do anything without that done first, but just in case, it's good to know. It's also good to know to move the library before installing Golden Allmine.

The user is my 17 year-old nephew, so I'm betting the tablet will get more use than the ereader. With that said, I'll give it a go tonight.

Also, thank you for mentioning that there is a readme in the zipfile. I thought it was only the update. I will certainly read that before I begin.

I'll let you know how things went when it is all completed.
Merry Christmas!
Old 12-19-2011, 10:51 PM   #80
coleoptera1

Well, I'm having a lot of trouble getting the .zip file. First I almost got a nasty virus from the hosting site (thankfully Norton saved me from my foolishness). THen I waited almost 2 hours for the first download and it went bad, so am not trying to download again. It says I have 47 min to go. We'll see if I'm still awake to do the install tonight. Otherwise it'll be tomorrow before I can give you my results.
Advert
Old 12-20-2011, 01:00 AM   #81
Jeff Butler
Jeff Butler began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Here you go:

http://www.jlbutler.net/Allmine/Pock...update-rc3.zip

Jeff
Jeff Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #82
coleoptera1

Thanks! I have all the files now. Do I load gapps.zip first and then update.zip? Or do I put them both on my usb stick and then just run update.zip?
Old 12-20-2011, 08:40 AM   #83
Richard443
Member Retired
Richard443 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Richard443 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Richard443 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket eDGe
coleoptera1 - thanks for asking the question and sharing your experience> I am thinking of updating PE with allmine too.

pablob - Your answers are very understandable. Thank you.

Jeff - thanks for the link.

All - Questions: a) Does a backup need to be done before proceeding with Allmine? b) Will a sticky be created with all of this information?

Richard
Richard443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #84
Jeff Butler
Jeff Butler began at the beginning.

FYI, pablob has graciously included a readme inside of the main zip file. Please read through it several times. Take the "PE-GA-update.zip" file inside of the main zip and rename it to update.zip and put it AND the gapps.zip on your microSD (or USB). Follow the readme... Remember this WILL WIPE ALL DATA FROM THE PE...

Jeff
Jeff Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #85
JRANGER
Connoisseur
JRANGER began at the beginning.

Device: Edgejr
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
I going to flash it now and report, this is the first PE that ever travelled to Transylvania where I am with business, left my nook home and took the PE with me. Jranger are you sure you used second version that I linked in my post and also the gapps I linked and renamed them to gapps.zip?

sorry been MIA i used the 2nd download in the main thread....

As far as using Market I ONLY could get market working using the Titanium backup way...
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:52 PM   #86
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: enTourage eDGe Pocket
I have some files hosted on my server now too.

edge.ympsa.com
MasterTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #87
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

with RC3 and gapps from cyanogen mode HDPI version 6 you get full market no need for Titanium
Old 12-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #88
vicinc
Guru

http://www.edge.ympsa.com/PE-GA-README.html
this is all you need to install full golden Ermine with market. golden ermine is hosted on MasterTec site as well
Old 12-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #89
Panhandler
Panhandler began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
RC3 works!

I bought my PE from Woot in September. For the last six weeks I've tried to access Google Market without success. I tried every approach. But I used a usb drive exclusively.

Last night I downloaded rc3. I put it and gapps on a micro drive and did an update. The update went perfectly. I followed the directions to the letter and now have full access to Google Market and I suspect other Google-related sites as well.

I don't know if the micro drive made a difference, and I don't want to see if I can do a successful update from a usb drive.

Thanks to everyone for their hard work.
Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:23 PM   #90
stevesr0
Connoisseur
stevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheese

Didn't brick, didn't work, did zero <sigh>

I have tried flashing from my ermined PE directly with the rc3 version of the golden allmine, using 2 different brands of sd card and one USB card.

The device only reacts by rebooting once with the card or usb drive in place, but never shows the "updating software" screen.

I have tried holding down the rotate and menu buttons for more than 10 seconds before sliding the power button and keeping it in for 20 seconds or as long as 2 minutes but it doesn't matter.

It is nice that the device doesn't get bricked, but I am unhappy that it doesn't go into flash mode.

Since I did upgrade previously from 1.6 to 2.2 with (I think) a USB, I believe the menu and rotate buttons worked for me then.

I looked in both the extsdcard directory and the usb0 directory and don't see a log file.

Appreciate advice, recommendations and questions.

Thanks

Steve
stevesr0 is offline   Reply With Quote