Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Looking for MP3 Player + eReader

My wife performs with the Native American flute. At gigs, she often uses backtracks burned to CD. The CD player just died and I suggested she move to an MP3 player so she could create different playlists.

I thought it would also be nice to have another ereader in the house. I have a 7" Android Tablet and like it, but we are looking for something more affordable since the main focus is an mp3 player. The cost of an iPod (about $250 is too high).

Any thoughts?

Here are the features we need:
  • ability to play mp3s
  • ability to create and edit playlists

Please note that the mp3 playlist handling is more important than the ereader function. I don't care if it is eink or lcd. For ebooks, epub is the format we would be using. No need for pdfs.

Small screen size is fine - even the size of android cell phones would be ok. But not as small as the ipod nano.

Oh, and I am boycotting Sony products, so please don't suggest any.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
If your wife's primary use is for backing music at gigs, then I suggest that sound quality and battery life are paramount and neither will be served with an ereader. I would be looking towards dedicated MP3 players from Sandisk (the Sansa Clip is awesome for the money), Creative or my personal favourite Cowon.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I agree with TedJ. With your wishlist and constraints, there really isn't any ereader product that will meet your needs. I would look at dedicated MP3 players. If you still want an EPUB ereader, then check out Kobo (either Wi-fi or Touch). You could probably get both products for less than $250. Maybe even less than $200.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:35 AM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Talking

Clip+ and bask in the glow of happiness at how little you've spent for such a great result.
( And if you're tech-friendly, look into rockbox for it...)

Then write a nasty letter to Sony 'cos you can.

( Enjoyable, but you'll be missing a great reader with OK mp3 ......... )

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:37 AM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
he best player i've owned has far as creating playlist goes, is the samsung P3. But it don't read e-book. (only txt files).

An android thingy with powerAmp would probably do the trick.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2011, 08:20 AM   #6
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'll echo the recommendation to get a Sansa Clip+. It's an awesome little player, lots of bang for the buck.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
If i may:

go to anything but ipod dot com

and read the forums there. I am a long time poster there - AFAIK, there is no ebook reader that can do what you need done in terms of mp3 playlists [unless you look at Android tablets possibly but then you are cracking the 400USD barrier].

Quite frankly, to my ears and to my headphones, nothing beats a dedicated mp3 player/DAP/PMP in terms of sheer audio fidelity.

The Clip+ is an excellent player, probably ounce of ounce, the "best" sounding audio player around. And it is cheap as hell, is extremely durable and takes microSD cards for near limitless expansion of your library.

If you install the opensource replacement firmware called Rockbox on the Clip+ you will be able to have on-device playlist management.

The Clip+ is not the fanciest player out there and battery life is limited to around 12+ hours real world usage. But it is an excellent device to consider.

MODS: Apologies if the referral to another site is inappropriate. I will edit and remove and contact the OP via PM if necessary with the suggestion to the other site.

cheers,
-les
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #8
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Went on a shopping trip yesterday to several electronics stores.

After my review of several ereaders, I came to the same conclusion everyone here did. eReaders suck at music. Yes, they can play some background music while you read, but none of them can do the simplest playlist functions.

Ended up buying a Coby $30 mp3 player. Has physical controls which are probably easier for her in a performance environment.

Yes, a tablet could do both ebooks and music, but much pricier. For 30 bucks. this is a great solution for her for now.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader, mp3