Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 01:14 AM   #31
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevarela View Post
Boowork_girl is right. I was actualy gonna post this but forgot.

I've been using a free app for mac (though it's windows too) to convert PDF to epub. The files stay in pdf, but a secondary epub book is created. So far this works well for using the book viewer and not quickoffice, however the software kinda breaks format of the page and though not a huge issue, it's not liek having a copy of the pdf. Words are still there and everything, but formatting is a little off. I think i should play a little more with it before I draw my conclusions, but it appears that this is the way to go for reading. Then is in the future an app comes along, or the OS is updated, then at least I still have the PDF's

The software is called CALIBRE
Thanks for posting your solution. That's the software I use too. It's fantastic! I agree that the PDF conversions don't always work so cleanly. Have you discovered Sigil yet? It's a free WYSIWYG editor for EPUB files. You might want to try it to fix your minor format issues. I use Sigil to build a Table of Contents and also to insert any important images that were lost during the PDF conversion process. There are separate forums on MobileRead for both calibre and Sigil if you want to learn more about how to use these programs.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #32
gatorman
gatorman began at the beginning.

Device: none
Does anyone know if a pdf has a video in it will it play on nook color? thanks,
gatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 01:39 AM   #33
vitalichka
Enthusiast
vitalichka began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Personally I find it odd that the original nook would remember the last page read and the new nook color does not. This just seems backwards to me.

Also how does one tell if they are viewing a pdf in one software over the other. As far as viewer or office quick viewer? Odd. I read the whole thread here and didn't find the answer except for the comments on differences in software performance.

Thanks.
vitalichka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:39 AM   #34
vitalichka
Enthusiast

Personally I find it odd that the original nook would remember the last page read and the new nook color does not. This just seems backwards to me.

Also how does one tell if they are viewing a pdf in one software over the other. As far as viewer or office quick viewer? Odd. I read the whole thread here and didn't find the answer except for the comments on differences in software performance.

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #35
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
In simplistic terms, the book viewer swipes left/right to turn a page. The QuickOffice viewer swipes up/down to turn a page. It seems that PDF's with Adobe DRM open in the book viewer. All other sideloaded PDFs open with QuickOffice.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #36
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is there any way to alter the specs on a sideloaded PDF so they'll open in the reader and not QuickOffice, either before or after you sideload it?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #37
vitalichka
Enthusiast

Awesome, thanks.
I thought all of my sideloaded books were non DRM.
They are all in the same directory.

Kinda sucks though. Especially since the original Nook was able to remember the last page read. This is really odd. Seems like a step back.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #38
JHawk
JHawk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Question. For my work I read techical articles from our community web database (in PDF) and also have many scanned PDF books. Nook Color seemed as a good solution, so I got one a couple of days ago. Several PDF books that I side-loaded to the "Books" folder opened well.

But I do have problems reading the PDF articles. After the downloading it gave me a choice of Quickoffice or Reader to open the file. The Reader opened it fine, but it does not have a Landscape and a Zoom options so reading is difficult. On the other hand, the Quickoffice does have those options, but the text became gibberish (every other letter replaced by a weird character). Moreover, when I later tried to open one of the downloaded articles from "My Downloads" it didn't give me any choice and openned them with Quickoffice, i.e. completely unreadable.

Does anyone know how to solve this?
Thanks for the help.
JHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #39
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ezPDF Reader is now in the Nook app store. Download and try that, and you might have better luck.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #40
vitalichka
Enthusiast

JHawk, saw your message yesterday but couldn't reply. I couldn't remember the app I so often. Anyway, you cannot go wrong with Aldiko! Even the free edition will do it all for you.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #41
JHawk

Thanks

Thank you guys.
Will try the Aldiko and/or ezReader. Although the latter might be tricky -- I went to B&N store yesterday and they suggested ezReader as well, but they were unable to make it work on the store Nooks.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #42
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawk View Post
Thank you guys.
Will try the Aldiko and/or ezReader. Although the latter might be tricky -- I went to B&N store yesterday and they suggested ezReader as well, but they were unable to make it work on the store Nooks.
They probably had problems because the store nooks likely wouldn't have had sd cards in them which the NC needs to install ez PDF.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:48 PM   #43
vitalichka
Enthusiast

JHawk, is your Nook Color rooted?
If not, I don't think you'll be able to install any of these apps.
And I doubt that B&N store people will help you with anything on a rooted Nook since that basically voids the warranty. I mean you can reverse the root but that defeats the purpose.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #44
magall
magall began at the beginning.

Quick questiom on the ezpdf app. At the bottom of the screen when a pdf is open, there is a bar at the bottom that goes away after a few seconds. How do you get that bar back or even keep it visable always?

Thank you
magall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #45
JHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalichka View Post
JHawk, is your Nook Color rooted?
If not, I don't think you'll be able to install any of these apps.
And I doubt that B&N store people will help you with anything on a rooted Nook since that basically voids the warranty. I mean you can reverse the root but that defeats the purpose.
No, it is not rooted. I bought it under the 30-day trial program from BestBuy and rooting would void it.
As I recall ezReader at B&N store was complaining about lack of SD card. Will buy one and try to install then.