Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-29-2010, 08:10 AM   #1
FGFuzax
FGFuzax began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad Book Edition
Welcome back - small(?) Problem

Hi All,

a few years back when Irex was in the process of starting up I took part in the forum, but susequently got out of it as the reader itself was too expensive and I didnt want any other and so on.

Now after Irex in its old form shut down I am back

And I have just recently bought an Iliad Book Edition for a reasonable price (I thought). Now to my problem. I try to carge the device since yesterday, but it always shows an empty symbol. The red light (the charge indicator) is switching off after a 1 / 2 Minutes and no charging is happening. I was able to aparently fill up the battery accidentially (it seems) - the Iliad started from battery and I was using it for a few minutes. But then it got worse, the battery symbol is now geyed out. And resets and switch on/off did not help.

Software Version is 2.12.1, shell-access is switched on, geyed symbol with and without CF card inserted.

Any suggestions from anybody what can be done?

Greets,
FG
FGFuzax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, FGFuzax.

Someone should step in soon with suggestions.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #3
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
dead battery?
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
FGFuzax

Quote:
Originally Posted by dima_tr View Post
dead battery?
Hopefully not...

Could it be something different - worse? Like, broken load circuit on board or broken travel hub?

Otherwise, if the battery is broken, can it be replaced by the methods described here in the forum? Is the battery type available in Germany?

Greets
FG
Old 09-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by dima_tr View Post
dead battery?
That would be my first guess. Does it run OK as long as it's plugged in (besides having a greyed out battery icon)?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 05:08 PM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGFuzax View Post
Could it be something different - worse? Like, broken load circuit on board or broken travel hub?
It could be, but I think as long as it can run fine while plugged in, that should mean that the board and hub are OK. That would be something to check.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #7
pwarren
Connoisseur
pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Irex Iliad (Dead), EcoReader (Smashed screen), Kobo Touch
I've found that quite often the battery icon is greyed out for quite some time after booting up.

My iliad charges up in only a few hours, I've not actually timed it, but it seems quite rapid, but certainly not minutes. But your battery may be full, and the iliad software hasn't yet realised it, whereas the hardware does and doesn't charge it up.
pwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwarren View Post
I've found that quite often the battery icon is greyed out for quite some time after booting up.
Unfortunately with their forum gone I can't go look things up anymore, but there was some discussion about that way back. I'm not 100% sure, but something in my mind says it's related to also having a CF card installed. The basic gist of it was that there was something that interfered with the ability of the OS to pull valid battery information from the IC immediately after a boot. At one point people were noticing that the battery levels were incorrect during this time, so iRex made an update that greyed out the icon to prevent the impression of false readings. It's been a while since I booted mine, but I seem to remember that the icon is greyed out for about 30 seconds after a boot, or something like that. I don't usually have any cards in it though, so it may be longer for others.

This goes back quite a while, and my memory is kind of hazy, but I think that's the general idea.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:14 PM   #9
FGFuzax

Thanks for your answers!

The device is functioning well when attaced to the power supply => neiter charger nor board should be fried then.

I have a CF card inserted, but tried it with and without card, with and without parallel PC connection - nothing to gain...

And anybody near a battery for iliad book edition?

BTW, what about warranty? The device is just under 2 Years and was bought by justread (which is obviously quite known in this board).

Greets,
FG
Old 09-30-2010, 03:30 PM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
BTW, what about warranty?
The company went Bankrupt, so warranties are all nullified. The iLiad warranty was only for 1 year anyway.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #11
FGFuzax

That is for sure, but the european(?, at least german) law gives a two year warranty (not Guarantee form the manufactorer but so called Gewährleistung from the seller). If the Object was used properly, and the fault is not related to misuse, the seller has to give this warranty.

Greets FG
Old 09-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
That is for sure, but the european(?, at least german) law gives a two year warranty (not Guarantee form the manufactorer but so called Gewährleistung from the seller). If the Object was used properly, and the fault is not related to misuse, the seller has to give this warranty.
I guess the seller could refund the purchase. There's really nowhere that you can get it repaired (unless you can do it yourself).
Old 10-01-2010, 01:52 AM   #13
FGFuzax

Hmm, but where in Germany to get a battery?

The battery hacks are all for the iliad v2 if I remember, or is a forum discussion about changing the battery fro the book edition somewhere (searched for, but found only the V2-Discussion)?

Greets, FG
Old 10-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #14
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Hmm, but where in Germany to get a battery?

The battery hacks are all for the iliad v2 if I remember, or is a forum discussion about changing the battery fro the book edition somewhere (searched for, but found only the V2-Discussion)?

Greets, FG
The same procedure should work. The iLiad v1, v2, and book edition are all identical as far as the battery hack goes. Internally they're all basically the same device, identical firmware, etc. The v2 came with a slightly larger battery than the v1, but most people who do the hack upgrade to an even larger battery anyway. The book edition is the same as a v2, just without the wifi and a different color case.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:29 PM   #15
FGFuzax

Ah ok, thanks - good to know.

So - just where to get a battery - I have only found something in the US. But anyway, will have a look and read again the Battery upgrade hack carefully.

Greets, FG