Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 04:59 AM   #1
thebelljar
thebelljar began at the beginning.

Device: None
Online Libraries on a Reader

So, I'll be getting an eBook reader soon. It's a toss up between the PRS600/K3/Nook for various reasons. One thing that can swing my decision one way or the other is the access to online libraries. I have an account with Ebrary, you cannot download books from there but can view them. Any of these readers capable of doing that? Nook is based on Android, is there any Ebrary reader app or something that will allow me to view these files, not necessarily download them..?!

Apart from that, I would prefer a touch screen so that I can take notes and stuff but then the Sony doesn't have Wifi. Can the Nook support Note-taking with a firmware update? And the landscape mode?

Some help please.
thebelljar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:37 AM   #2
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Before you dismiss the Sony for its lack of Wifi, consider exactly why it is you want wifi for. I've got the PRS600 and I bought it particularly for its lack of Wifi.

For me, it's no hardship to connect the Reader with a cable to download newspaper and magazine sites now and than, in large part because that charges the thing at the same time - and I have a tendency to let my electronic gadgets run out of charge. Used with Calibre, it's also the easiest way to rearrange my sorts and tags and download purchased books to my computer for safekeeping and storage. Then again, I spend a good part of most days on my computer so I like using the Reader as a genuine book, without the distraction of Internet connectivity. Your mileage will vary according to your habits and preferences.

Can't really help you on the library issues. I'm not located anywhere near a library with e-books and for the time being I'm well stocked with reading material between purchases and free material from Gutenberg.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevdeforges View Post
Can't really help you on the library issues. I'm not located anywhere near a library with e-books and for the time being I'm well stocked with reading material between purchases and free material from Gutenberg.
If you're interested, the Free Library of Philadelphia offers access to their ebook collection to out-of-state residents for $15 per year.

FLP Library Card

FLP Digital Collection
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, thebelljar
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
You should go for the Sony PRS-650 (not the 600).
It's so much better even without Wifi. And it works well with public libraries.
Doin't know about Ebrary
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
thebelljar
thebelljar began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, thebelljar

Excuse the manner less bypassing of salutations.

Quote:
Before you dismiss the Sony for its lack of Wifi, consider exactly why it is you want wifi for. I've got the PRS600 and I bought it particularly for its lack of Wifi.
WiFi is needed to access Ebrary, if there is no device that works with it then I will consider the Sony.

Quote:
You should go for the Sony PRS-650 (not the 600).
It's so much better even without Wifi. And it works well with public libraries.
Doin't know about Ebrary
See above, you can only access Ebrary content online, it's not downloadable.

I contacted them asking them about it, this is the reply I got

Quote:
Hello there,

ebrary content is streamed and is not available for direct download. This means
that ebook readers that require a downloadable file will not be able to access
ebrary content. However, devices that have a built in web browser that has
JavaScript enabled will be able to view ebrary content using ebrary’s
QuickView. iPhones/iPads/iPods will work just fine. We are working on improving
our User Interface for mobile devices.

Kind regards,
So what I need to know is:

Does the Nook browser support Javascript?

Are the people at NookDev working towards another way of softrooting it?

If I order one now, will I get the version that cannot be softrooted?

Will I have to settle for a Kindle?

Oh yea, another thing..Does it come with a wall charger?

Last edited by thebelljar; 09-27-2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Added Question
thebelljar is offline   Reply With Quote