Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-11-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
traffordcentre
traffordcentre began at the beginning.

Device: sony e reader
Confused over product codes - please help : )

Hello
I am really wanting to buy a sony e reader and like another poster on here, I was planning to buy it from play.com because, as of yesterday it was £179.99.

I went on today to buy it to find it has gone back up to £199.99 so I started to check web prices all over again. And this time, I noticed that each shop gave the sony 505s a slightly different product code.

For example, the sony e reader on play is called PRS - 505 - SC and the spec says it has a battery life of 6800 page turns.

Whereas on the sony site, its e reader code is PRS 505 S - CEW with a battery life of 7500 page turns.

So this has totally confused me! Can anyone tell me:

Is the model sold on play (which provides a free accessory) an older model? Is the one on Sony is an updated version with longer battery life?

Or are they one and the same?

Can anyone please advise?

Thanks so much
traffordcentre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
There are 3 colors for the Sony PRS-505

PRS-505SC (Silver Color)
PRS-505RC (Red Color)
PRS-505LC (Dark Blue Color)

The Sony site may have special edition readers but those will either come with a special cover/case or a special skin overlay.

Sony has changed the page turn battery life over the last 1.5 years, but they don't have different batteries.

If you see a PRS-505SC, it is the same reader regardless of store it is purchased from. Maybe a way for that website to internally identify the products.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Please don't post the same message several times.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #4
traffordcentre
traffordcentre began at the beginning.

Device: sony e reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Please don't post the same message several times.
Thanks for making a first time poster feel so welcome. I did explain in my second post that I had posted this thread twice (because I had put my first post in the wrong thread by mistake). I dont know how to remove my initial post so in my second post, I also asked mods to remove if they felt it appropriate. What more can I do?
traffordcentre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
recharged

I think with the Sony 505 you will finish reading your book before you need to recharge it. The e-ink screens don't use that much power and so in theory you should not need to recharge it often.

Actual life of the battery before the battery needs to be replaced? Not sure, it seems most lithum batteries last for 1.5 to 2 years of heavy use (think cell phones)? I don't know that I would consider a ereader as heavy use.

Don't mind Igor he is just a grumpy pants.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote