Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
AZW3 font size help & Identifier question

I have two questions, too, so I should be on topic, right?

1) For most of my books, I just open them up and read them and everything's fine with a default font size of 2 (of 8). I now have about 4 or 5 books with font sizes that range from too small to MUCH MUCH too small. Setting the font size up to 5 (of 8) changes it to bearable, but still a little small. How do I go about changing the font size so I can go back to my lazy way of just reading? I tried converting from AZW3 to AZW3 while changing the Base Font from the default of 0.0 up to 14.0, but with no effect.

2) When I first started using calibre, I took the lazy way out and just typed "a:B0084AXZRI" into the ID field. Then, at some point an upgrade started filling in the full data, so it comes in as "mobi-asin:B0084AXZRI" instead. Is there a way to replace all instances of "a:" with "mobi-asin:"? It looks to me like these strings are recognized as Identifier types, instead of data stored in the field. I'd really hate to have to go in and edit 184+ records just cause I did something stoopid.

Thanks for reading.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleAndy View Post
Moderator Notice
No you are not on topic. Moved post to its own thread.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleAndy View Post

1) For most of my books, I just open them up and read them and everything's fine with a default font size of 2 (of 8). I now have about 4 or 5 books with font sizes that range from too small to MUCH MUCH too small. Setting the font size up to 5 (of 8) changes it to bearable, but still a little small. How do I go about changing the font size so I can go back to my lazy way of just reading? I tried converting from AZW3 to AZW3 while changing the Base Font from the default of 0.0 up to 14.0, but with no effect.

2) When I first started using calibre, I took the lazy way out and just typed "a:B0084AXZRI" into the ID field. Then, at some point an upgrade started filling in the full data, so it comes in as "mobi-asin:B0084AXZRI" instead. Is there a way to replace all instances of "a:" with "mobi-asin:"? It looks to me like these strings are recognized as Identifier types, instead of data stored in the field. I'd really hate to have to go in and edit 184+ records just cause I did something stoopid.

Thanks for reading.
Look at Bulk (mode) Metadata editor: Search and replace

Hope your REGEX fu is strong
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Look at Bulk (mode) Metadata editor: Search and replace

Hope your REGEX fu is strong
Thanks theducks, but that's why I was asking for help. When you start out, there's one choice for Search field, one for Search for and one for Replace with. Once you pick the identifier field, you also get two Identifier type choices.

Well, Trial & Error has always been my strong point, so... I thought maybe I was over-complicating it, and I think I was. I picked a for my first identifier type, and mobi-asin for my second and it kinda sorta worked... The only thing is that it didn't REPLACE the text, it ADDED it. So if I started with a:B008491POO instead of getting mobi-asin:B008491POO as I'd hoped (and expected) I got a:B008491POO, mobi-asin:B008491POO.

So... IS there a way to do what I want to do, or... ?

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
SampleAndy
Addict

Actually, the identifier type isn't any kind of problem I'm concerned with, but I'd REALly like some advice on the font size issue. Is there a solution just using calibre, or do I need to convert to epub and use Sigil to edit the source files?

I know SOMEbody has to know how this can be done.

Thanks.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I don't think you need to convert to epub to edit an azw3 CSS file. As long as you know what you're doing with CSS, you can just use calibre's 'Tweak ebook' feature to
- explode the azw3
- locate the .css file and manually edit it in any plain text editor
- rebuild the azw3
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
SampleAndy
Addict

Smile Tweak ebook... I've heard of that somewhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
... As long as you know what you're doing with CSS...

I'm probably closer to an HTML 3.0 level. I don't think they had CSS back when I "learned" it. Still by comparing the CSS from a book I like and the CSS from the book with a problem, I'm sure I can draw some parallels.

I don't think Tweak ebook existed back when I downloaded my copy of the calibre manual. I think this will be an ideal solution for the fixes I made worse by converting, editing and reconverting. Now all I need to do is find copies of the books before I started hacking them apart.

It's not the nice easy answer I'd hoped for, but I'm liking it. Thanks!

Old 10-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
SampleAndy
Addict

Well, THAT was fun.

I found one of my problem books, and selected Tweak ebook. When I clicked Explode, I got the message, "This MOBI file contains both KF8 and older Mobi6 data. Tweaking it will remove the Mobi6 data, which means the file will not be usable on older Kindles. Are you sure?"

(shrugs) Sure, what the hell. I don't really READ on them that much, they're just around to see the history of the Kindle, how we got to where we were and how it all started... Plus, how old IS older, anyway? So I went in and edited the 20 HTML files that had the random line breaks and Rebuilt the book. It looked pretty good in the E-book Viewer, but it does seem to have picked up some blank pages at some chapter breaks. In the title bar, the original shows up as [KF8:joint] and the edited book is [KF8].

The problem comes when I try to open the book on either my Touch or my Paperwhite. I get a message that "The selected item could not be opened. If you purchased this item from Amazon... etc." However, it DOES open correctly on my 1st gen Fire, and the blank pages aren't there, either. So the question arises... How old IS older? The Fire came out before the Paperwhite, didn't it? I was thinking maybe K2, K3...

Should I try exploding the book AFTER converting to AZW3? I'm guessing that anything to do with the existing, rebuilt book should not be trusted. Does anybody have a link to some guidelines as to the requirements and process of tweaking a book? I tried searching in my 2011 copy of the manual, the current online manual and searching the calibre forum but found nothing in the manuals, and lots and lots of hits on tweaks and ebooks, but nothing appropriate.

As always, thanks for any and all help. I'm done for the day, but I'll be experimenting again on the morrow.