Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-09-2012, 12:57 AM   #151
qtybest
qtybest began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtybest View Post
after flashing it I still have 007 error...maybe I should give up trying to update my kindle....
Is it necessary to flash the origional mmcblk0p2 in order to make a successful update to 5.0.4?
qtybest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:09 AM   #152
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Is it necessary to flash the origional mmcblk0p2 in order to make a successful update to 5.0.4?
I do not think that the update changes (or cares about) mmcblk0p2. The version with SSH does not have any changes except adding missing files, so should not be a problem.

It is possible that the previous update attempt failed because the partition and kernel did not match, but left the partition in an unstable condition. This latest failed update may have changed the kernel and/or main partition, so you should flash a new 5.0.0 kernel, and use "dd" to copy a new 5.0.0 main partition to /dev/mmcblk0p1. Then perhaps run a "factory_reset" script to erase any residual /var/local settings that might interfere with an update.

In my case, I was able to successfully update to 5.0.4 after flashing a fresh 5.0.0 kernel and using "dd" to copy the "forensic" 5.0.0 main partition image, so you should be able to do that too...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:33 AM   #153
qtybest

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I do not think that the update changes (or cares about) mmcblk0p2. The version with SSH does not have any changes except adding missing files, so should not be a problem.

It is possible that the previous update attempt failed because the partition and kernel did not match, but left the partition in an unstable condition. This latest failed update may have changed the kernel and/or main partition, so you should flash a new 5.0.0 kernel, and use "dd" to copy a new 5.0.0 main partition to /dev/mmcblk0p1. Then perhaps run a "factory_reset" script to erase any residual /var/local settings that might interfere with an update.

In my case, I was able to successfully update to 5.0.4 after flashing a fresh 5.0.0 kernel and using "dd" to copy the "forensic" 5.0.0 main partition image, so you should be able to do that too...
can the factory_reset be done by dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K count=8184 ?
Old 04-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #154
qtybest

Quote:

I just don't know what had happend...after following your step again and again,the update still has the error007.....
Old 04-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #155
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
can the factory_reset be done by dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K count=8184 ?
Perhaps your count="8184" value is too high (but it *should* work anyway). You only need enough to make the partition unmountable. Try "count=1024" instead. That is what I used.

Test your kindle with a fresh 5.0.0 kernel and main partition. Reboot multiple times BEFORE trying to install the update.

If that does not work, perhaps your update file is damaged. Try downloading it from amazon again and install the new update file. It worked for me, so it should work for you.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-09-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #156
qtybest

Smile

Quote:
Perhaps your count="8184" value is too high (but it *should* work anyway). You only need enough to make the partition unmountable. Try "count=1024" instead. That is what I used.

Test your kindle with a fresh 5.0.0 kernel and main partition. Reboot multiple times BEFORE trying to install the update.

If that does not work, perhaps your update file is damaged. Try downloading it from amazon again and install the new update file. It worked for me, so it should work for you.

after several reboot it succeed!!!Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #157
tamerlaha
tamerlaha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi.
I try to unbrick my Touch, i flash diag partition by fastboot

C:\kindle\restore>fastboot flash diags mmcblk0p2_ssh.img
downloading 'diags'...
OKAY [ 2.712s]
writing 'diags'...
OKAY [ 5.816s]
finished. total time: 8.530s

C:\kindle\restore>fastboot setvar bootmode diags
setting 'bootmode' to 'diags'...
bootmode diags:
finished. total time: 0.014s

C:\kindle\restore>fastboot reboot
rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.004s

, but my book doesnt boot at diag mode - freez at "kindle tree". I try different *.img, and nothing help me to boot dfag mode any suggestions?

Last edited by tamerlaha; 04-16-2012 at 08:25 AM.
tamerlaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:57 AM   #158
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
After 3 efforts getting my KT unbricked, I have to ask ...

Got it in diags mode
all commands done and I got back to 5.0, so far fine

but:
restart causes the KT being bricked again ...

as mentioned, three times, any hints?
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:17 AM   #159
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
After 3 efforts getting my KT unbricked, I have to ask ...

Got it in diags mode
all commands done and I got back to 5.0, so far fine

but:
restart causes the KT being bricked again ...

as mentioned, three times, any hints?
Did you flash the 5.0.0 linux kernel using fastboot? You may need matching kernel and partition.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #160
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Not yet, is this to be done in fastboot or is ssh possible as well?

Have read through a hell of post, don't want to annoye you by being lazy, but could not find the commands to flash the kernel ...

BTW, factory reset from 5.0 went through, restarted, but a follow on restart led to the same situation, sitting under a tree ...

UPDATE: should have gone reading backwards ... on page 10 it is, fastboot is missing libusb0.dll to run, make.bat does not solve it .. continue to learn

Last edited by diba; 04-17-2012 at 06:29 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #161
tamerlaha

Finally i have start a diag mode, dd'ed partition 1 to 5.0.0 and how after reboot i have a same problem like diba, is it necessary to update kernel to 5.0.0 if i has a 5.0.1 before? and which metod i must use "fastboot flash" or dd? if a set by "idme -d --bootmode ..."which boot mode must be set "normal" or "main"?

update: diba looks like we must use

fastboot flash kernel kernel-5.0.0.img

but i stiil looking how to backup it before flash

Last edited by tamerlaha; 04-17-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:52 AM   #162
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamerlaha View Post
but i stiil looking how to backup it before flash
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=174674
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:53 AM   #163
diba
Addict

Obviously.
I had to stop now, had the mmcblk0p1 on my mnt/us ... and was stupid enough to go to factory reset without having a copy on my laptop. My 3G is too slow and has only 500 MB / p / month so no use trying it via HotSpot now.

So I will continue later on back home ...
Old 04-17-2012, 06:55 AM   #164
diba
Addict

@Geekmaster: loading kernel and mmcblk0p1 from the pastebin page makes sure, I have the correct versions for both, I assume .
Old 04-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #165
tamerlaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostar View Post

is it enough for kernel backup:
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0_7688.dmp bs=512 count=7688

?

Tags