Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
EricDP
Groupie
EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, BlackBerry
Tablet computers: Will devices like the iPad replace paper?

Interesting quotes from a Saskatchewan government official about using iPads in place of paper:

Quote:
"In my office alone, as this gets rolled out, I will save 68 boxes of paper in my office a year," deputy cabinet secretary Rick Mantey told CBC News. "We're [also] saving on courier costs. That's going to go down, from my office, by $8,000, $9,000 a year."

Mantey said that in a typical week, a single cabinet minister could be loaded down with six to 10 kilograms of documents.
There's also a poll with question: "Do you think Tablets will replace paper?"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/pointofview/2...ace-paper.html
EricDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricDP View Post
Interesting quotes from a Saskatchewan government official about using iPads in place of paper:

There's also a poll with question: "Do you think Tablets will replace paper?"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/pointofview/2...ace-paper.html

Xerox was worried about this in the 1970s and 1980s when they were inventing the technology that would drive Windows and Mac computers for the next 30 years and counting. It was dubbed the Paperless office and as a result, Xerox did not pursue the technology for fear that it would undermine their copying business. Anyone who lived before computers became necessary in business and after can tell you computers multiplied office paper use.

While, it is conceivable that tablets will replace some paper, I doubt that it will ever completely eliminate paper for business. Sometimes nothing substitutes for scribbling tons of notes when brainstorming ideas and then spreading them out next to each other to see what floats.... Giving each worker 5-6 tablets to do this sort of thing is probably impractical .

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I'm holding out for the Christmas when I get given a pair of socks wrapped in six iPads.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Tablet computers: Will devices like the iPad replace paper? I hope not! Touch screens and I have a love/hate relationship; we love to hate each other. For some odd reason, touch screens do not always respond to my touch.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
While, it is conceivable that tablets will replace some paper, I doubt that it will ever completely eliminate paper for business. Sometimes nothing substitutes for scribbling tons of notes when brainstorming ideas and then spreading them out next to each other to see what floats.... Giving each worker 5-6 tablets to do this sort of thing is probably impractical .
Maybe... but whiteboards can handle quite a bit of that load, and future tablets could be connected to a LAN, allowing them to share notes. Offices routinely give employees electronic equipment, or instruct them that it is part of their job requirement to bring such gear to work. Strictly speaking, there's no reason it can't happen.

As someone who worked in business actively converting blunt, manual copying of paper-based systems to electronic systems and digital documents (including working with networked printers from Xerox, Kodak, Sharp and Oce), I can say with confidence that there is nothing paper can do in the office that cannot be replaced by digital systems, and save a boatload of cash besides. Most resistance to the idea had been purely subjective, lead by those who simply did not want to try something different. But in offices where change was more aggressively pursued, workers eventually got used to the new systems, then embraced them.

I should point out that, although electronic devices can replace paper, touch tablets won't be the best choice for every task. Many office tasks are better suited by keyboards and mice than touchscreens, at least with today's technology.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 09-27-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
EricDP
Groupie
EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, BlackBerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
While, it is conceivable that tablets will replace some paper, I doubt that it will ever completely eliminate paper for business.
I somewhat agree, although it's a matter of degree. I don't think paper will ever go completely away - there will always be some purpose. But there will be much much less paper.

From what I've seen lately (laptops moreso than tablets), people are taking notes, scribbling, carrying all their important documents, etc. on something that is < 5 pounds and can run for a full business day without plugging in. The difference between today and the 1980's is wireless networking: you are always connected and have everything at your fingertips in the meeting rooms now, which you didn't have before. The ability to pull an email from six months ago, or reference a document out of a stack of hundreds without having to wait for the meeting next week so that you can go find it - to do it now, in the meeting today - is a huge difference. I've stopped carrying paper documents, and I've stopped "writing" notes. I don't even carry a pen anymore.

I do print out some things. Like you said, sometimes you need to put things side-by-side to see them clearly. Although, bigger screens and screens built into tables might meet that need too one day... Never say never.
EricDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #7
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Have you ever seen Jean-Luc Picard read or write on a piece of paper? Except of course antique pbooks.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I somewhat agree, although it's a matter of degree. I don't think paper will ever go completely away - there will always be some purpose.
No doubt about that. The fine art of origami, for example...
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:50 PM   #9
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Supplement, yes. Displace to some extent, yes. Replace, no.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:12 PM   #10
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
No the battery life just isn't long enough for tablets. If we ever get good quality color e-ink then yes, that might work.

Quote:
Have you ever seen Jean-Luc Picard read or write on a piece of paper? Except of course antique pbooks.
What's funny is watching them gather up a whole stack of Padds, just like they were books. What's the point of having massive portable storage if you're just going to treat them like a stack of books anyway?
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:44 PM   #11
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
I somewhat agree, although it's a matter of degree. I don't think paper will ever go completely away - there will always be some purpose. But there will be much much less paper.

Nope, not practical. Not until the bidet is perfected.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:21 AM   #12
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Let me try that again.

Quote:
Do you think Tablets will replace paper?
Nope, not practical. Not until the Bidet app is approved.

Better.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:44 AM   #13
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Computers in general have helped cut down the use of paper in office environments. I think Tablet computers will help this trend even more. But it's a big call to say that it will ever replace paper completely.
For example, in my office I don't even have a connection to a printer. Never needed it!
For taking notes however (meetings, training, etc.), I am still waiting for the "real thing", not gimmicks. In the meantime I'll stick to my legal pad.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:45 AM   #14
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Let me try that again.

Nope, not practical. Not until the Bidet app is approved.

Better.

I'm glad you edited that! Bidet is not a right bidet unless it's approved by SB.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:01 AM   #15
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
I am still waiting for the "real thing", not gimmicks. In the meantime I'll stick to my legal pad.
But, man, isn't that a little abrasive?

And anyway, you shouldn't need a whole legal pad. That is why the traditional paper is perforated into tiny squares.

OK, I apologize.