Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 01-20-2024, 04:15 AM   #1
diniamo
diniamo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
What to use as a pacer

Hello, I finally got a Kobo and installed KOReader on it. It's pretty awesome, but also somewhat overwhelming, because I want to try out its every feature.

But that's not the topic of the post. The problem I ran into is that I use my finger as a pacer, which doesn't work for a few reasons:
- While I could disable page turns by swiping, the top menu would still appear if I lifted my finger after the first few lines
- My finger is too sticky unless I clean it after every page, which is very annoying
- Lifting my finger slightly above the screen is way too tedious, that's what I've been doing, but I won't be able to keep it up for long

So with that said, what do you suggest I use as a pacer?
diniamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 08:12 AM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by diniamo View Post
Hello, I finally got a Kobo and installed KOReader on it. It's pretty awesome, but also somewhat overwhelming, because I want to try out its every feature.

But that's not the topic of the post. The problem I ran into is that I use my finger as a pacer, which doesn't work for a few reasons:
- While I could disable page turns by swiping, the top menu would still appear if I lifted my finger after the first few lines
- My finger is too sticky unless I clean it after every page, which is very annoying
- Lifting my finger slightly above the screen is way too tedious, that's what I've been doing, but I won't be able to keep it up for long

So with that said, what do you suggest I use as a pacer?
I guess you inherited the pacer requirement from physical books, where it doesn't interact with the UI.

Ebooks are tricky to use with your finger as a pacer. Hopefully you'll be able to get rid of it in a couple of hours.

You can start by increasing font size, line height and other natural limiters available on your page, so they work as hints to help you keeping track of your progress.

Like in mechanography reeducation most people struggle a bit as they try to change to a more ergonomic typing while keeping the speed they're used to with their current approach.

It is almost mandatory to start with a low speed, until you feel confortable enough, and never increase the speed until you're able to get rid of the acommodations you did. Also, when confortable, try to migrate to a physical book without fingers.

It is usually a matter of 10-20 hours to get rid of bad habits and that's applicable to 99% of the general population. If you're in the 1% then please consider to get an ebook with page buttons, where you can disable the touchscreen entirely while you're reading.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2024, 08:32 AM   #3
diniamo
diniamo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Huhm, using pacers is a bad habit? I thought it helped with smoother eye movement
diniamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 09:07 AM   #4
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
In the Settings - Taps and gestures - Gestures manager you can:
- disable the touch screen totally
- assign new gestures (eg tap at the bottom left/right corners) to turn pages, and force them to be active when the touch screen is disabled
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 09:45 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Use a (physical) bookmark?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert