Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Strange library behavior

I sideload another batch of 38 books the other day (using Calibre 'send to device'), and then realized about 9 or 10 of them were missing the cover art. Went back to Calibre and did the epub to epub conversion to fix the cover art issue mentioned in another thread.

Now for the funny thing: those books no longer show up at the top of the library when I sort by most recent. If I search for any of them, do a long press and review details, they have today's date on them. If I open any of of the books and go back to the library that book does show up first.

Tried a sort by author, then resort my most recent without any change. I even did a reboot to see if that refreshed something but still no change. For grins, I sideloaded the books again with Calibre and they still don't show up first in the library.

Calibre shows the reconverted books with today's date, and if I sort by date those books are on top.

So any ideas what gives in my poor little NC's confused library?
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Have you tried rebooting?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmwrite View Post
I even did a reboot to see if that refreshed something but still no change.
Yup, sure did...
Old 01-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yup, sure did...
Obviously I'm not reading carefully.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant

Sometimes I have to delete the books manually from within the directory (not using calibre). Then reboot. Then resend the books.
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
jlmwrite
Zealot

Just did some more digging (which takes a bit with the roughly 800 books on here so far) and realized that every one of that last batch of books is at tne very end of the library.

Either the latest Calibre upgrade (installed this morning) broke the dates somewhere/somehow, or else the NC library is showing the most recent books in reverse date order (except for the ones that are opened). Again, the 'details' in the library show the correct date, so it would have to be something internal that is messing with the dates.

I s'pose I could always delete the entire library on the NC and let Calibre reload everything. Maybe later this evening...
Old 01-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant

Just out of curiosity... Are you using the library shelves in the reader? Wondering how you're making the most out of the stock library with your large collection.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
jlmwrite
Zealot

I'm using the stock library (installed Aldiko, but haven't really used it yet) but have only made limited use of shelves with its time-intensive one-book-at-a-time method.

Since I typically add 5-10 books per week or batch 20-30 every few weeks -- and then usually read most of them -- the 'most recent' function in the stock library does fairly well for me.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
I'm using the stock library (installed Aldiko, but haven't really used it yet) but have only made limited use of shelves with its time-intensive one-book-at-a-time method.

Since I typically add 5-10 books per week or batch 20-30 every few weeks -- and then usually read most of them -- the 'most recent' function in the stock library does fairly well for me.
Oh, OK, didn't realize you rooted. I didn't think you were shelving your books. Yeah, makes sense to go the route of Most Recent.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
jlmwrite
Zealot

Talking Problem resolved!

I've been home the past few days with a nasty upper respiratory infection, so in between reading and blowing my nose incessantly, I decided to lick this problem.

Short answer: I deleted my entire library off the NC from inside Calibre, rebooted, then reinstalled my entire library to the NCs main memory. Every cover shows properly, and books added after that are all where they should be.

Long answer: Whatever indexing/caching method the NC uses was getting confused with the additions/deletions, plus the multiple copies of that last batch of books I'd installed to test Aldiko were affecting things. Some of the problems that cropped up -- Some covers were showing in certain library views but not in others. The books that I had added weren't showing as 'most recent' but instead were showing up at the very end of the library, and being marked by the library as "unknown date" even though the books themselves had the proper date in them. The more I deleted and added those books, the worse the problems.

My assumption is that the multiple copies of that last batch of books on my SD card (from using Aldiko) confused the NC. I used Calibre to delete all copies from the SD card and deleted my entire library from the NC's memory. I rebooted for good measure, reinstalled all my books, and every one of my issues disappeared -- including the few sideloaded covers that sometimes showed and sometimes didn't.

FYI -- When I reloaded all 786 books, it only took the NC a few minutes to repopulate the library. I did have to press the refresh button inside the library four or five times yet it took less than 3 minutes for all my books to show. Compare that to when I sideloaded 400 books onto my Kindle 3, and it indexed overnight.

Since I reloaded my library, I've not had a single problem. I've purchased two more books, and sideloaded another 6 or 7 older books on two separate days. I'm happy again!