Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #91
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
There are actually three different actions with the slider for the Kindle Keyboard:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200505460
I stand corrected. Sevenseconds to power of and the display goes blank.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #92
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
There are actually three different actions with the slider for the Kindle Keyboard:

I stand corrected. Seven seconds to power off and the display goes blank. I actually do this occasionally.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #93
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:

Thanks for that, Synamon. I was just looking for that page.

Rather than projecting a mood of disappointment and irritation with humanity, perhaps other posters can try to understand why an intelligent user (which Harry certainly is) might think there wasn't a way to power off the Kindle: Most companies reserve their longest button-holding times for powering a device down. Logically, many users wouldn't expect a device to power off in mid-hold (without their continuing to hold a given button or switch). Reset is usually assigned to a different button or set of buttons.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-14-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #94
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:

To turn your Kindle off: Slide and hold the power switch for seven seconds until the screen goes blank and then release.
The thing is, although that does state you are turning it off, it appears you are really just putting it into sleep mode with the screensaver off. Because when you turn it back on, it comes on immediately (the same speed from which it wakes up from sleep mode), and doesn't go through the boot-up sequence that it goes through when you reset it.

A bit like turning your computer back on when it's sleeping, compared to turning it on when it's been fully switched off. A better comparison is my MP3 player, when you turn it off it just goes into sleep mode, and it comes back on straight away. The difference is that after a set period of time it does fully switch off, and when you turn it back on it takes a bit longer to come to life.

If the Kindle really was switched off, perhaps it wouldn't necessarily need to go through the entire boot-up sequence, but wouldn't you expect it to take a little longer to come on than when it's just been in sleep mode?

Last edited by soulfuldog; 04-14-2012 at 04:02 PM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #95
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

l_macd: Have you tested the result of powering down with a blank screen and leaving the screen saver on, say over a period of a few weeks? Is there an appreciable increase in battery life?

I see your point about the Kindle appearing only to sleep, since Sony Readers take a lot longer to restart.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-14-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Advert
Old 04-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #96
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
The thing is, although that does state you are turning it off, it appears you are really just putting it into sleep mode with the screensaver off. Because when you turn it back on, it comes on immediately (the same speed from which it wakes up from sleep mode), and doesn't go through the boot-up sequence that it goes through when you reset it.

A bit like turning your computer back on when it's sleeping, compared to turning it on when it's been fully switched off. A better comparison is my MP3 player, when you turn it off it just goes into sleep mode, and it comes back on straight away. The difference is that after a set period of time it does fully switch off, and when you turn it back on it takes a bit longer to come to life.

If the Kindle really was switched off, perhaps it wouldn't necessarily need to go through the entire boot-up sequence, but wouldn't you expect it to take a little longer to come on than when it's just been in sleep mode?
We are miles off topic in this thread, but the difference appears to be that when powered off the wifi is disconnected and when sleeping the Kindle is still connected by wifi and can download stuff sent to it (if wifi was connected when the slider was used of course). Which is why Amazon suggests turning wifi off when putting it to sleep to conserve battery and doesn't suggest this when powering off.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #97
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Precisely - that's exactly my point. The "hold the power switch in for 7 seconds until the screen goes blank" operation puts the Kindle to sleep; it's NOT powered off. Press the power switch again and the Kindle wakes up again immediately; it doesn't go through the "boy sitting under a tree" boot sequence.

That's why I made the statement (which I believe is absolutely correct) that there's no way to power off a Kindle. You can put it to sleep, or you can reboot it, but you can't shut it down.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #98
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Rather than projecting a mood of disappointment and irritation with humanity, perhaps other posters can try to understand why an intelligent user (which Harry certainly is) might think there wasn't a way to power off the Kindle
My guess would be that it's because there really ISN'T a way.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:36 PM   #99
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My guess would be that it's because there really ISN'T a way.
My apologies. It took the last page of this discussion for some of us (me included) to see your telegraphed point.

However, I still wouldn't slap my head with annoyance at anyone who failed to notice how to shut down their Kindle (or, if you prefer, turn off the screensaver and Wifi). Amazon's implementation does seem counter-intuitive and battery-life-unkind.

And beyond that, any forum dedicated to e-readers should be the last place people go to voice their displeasure with other members' levels of technical experience -- let alone, a forum like Mobile Read, which reaches out to new users and dares advertise itself as friendly.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-15-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #100
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
I was glad when people began to mention the PRS-700 four pages in.

My first thought at seeing the ST Glow: How are B&N going to fix the clarity issue encountered in the 700 if even Sony abandoned that idea?
Can you tell me more about this clarity issue? I am already considering getting one of these glow-thingees. I won't use the glow function often but I would very much like it. What are the issues?

Quote:
I realize that e-ink workarounds have progressed since the 700, but isn't adding front lighting a job for a company that creates panels and film, not a one that repackages preexisting tech with budget-friendly specs and smart industrial design?
A difference without a distinction, IMO. Where the technology originates, how it comes to be packaged, and who does the packaging is moot. Life-cycle-management is a concern but seems tangential to the issue. The final product is really all that matters. Or what am I missing?

Quote:
The issue which B&N should be addressing is tighter case design and light implementation. Their hard cases make the Nook ST far larger than it needs to be, and the case mechanism is often arbitrary and too easy to unattach.
I agree with that but it doesn't have much to do with glowing e-readers. I finally found a nook case I can live with. I took several months. I had a m-cover cover which I hated. The one I have now came from B&N and is pretty good...though I could do without the chalkboard texture (the same texture the ST case has).

As an aside, I'm waiting for them to coat the e-ink screen with a think layer radium paint; glows in the dark with 0 battery drain. EPA is holding us back.

Last edited by Rob Lister; 04-15-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #101
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
I'm waiting for them to coat the e-ink screen with a think layer radium paint; glows in the dark with 0 battery drain. EPA is holding us back.
Would that not have an adverse impact on image quality? How "transparent" is radium paint?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #102
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Would that not have an adverse impact on image quality? How "transparent" is radium paint?
I suppose it depends on what you combine it with; copper/zinc was used on watch dials. Probably not suitable for this application. I'm sure the chemists can come up with something.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #103
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I suppose it depends on what you combine it with; copper/zinc was used on watch dials. Probably not suitable for this application. I'm sure the chemists can come up with something.
But - please correct me if I'm wrong - wasn't the radium used to paint the numbers on the dial and the hands of the watch? It wasn't used as a transparent coating on "top" of something else.

Your idea is an interesting one, but I do have doubts about its practicality, unfortunately.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #104
Rob Lister
Fanatic

Quote:
But - please correct me if I'm wrong - wasn't the radium used to paint the numbers on the dial and the hands of the watch? It wasn't used as a transparent coating on "top" of something else.
Yes. That's where the "probably not suitable for this application" part kicks in. Perhaps you could combine the radium with the e-ink dye itself rather than over-top of it.

Quote:
Your idea is an interesting one, ...
Not so much really. It was written in jest. The EPA would have a conniption were someone to actually try to produce this on a commercial scale. Tritium is another possibility but the half-life is too short.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #105
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Can you tell me more about this clarity issue? I am already considering getting one of these glow-thingees. I won't use the glow function often but I would very much like it. What are the issues?
Here is a link to picture comparisons of the PRS-700 vs. the PRS-505.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32038

The touch screen of the PRS-700 here adds to the blurriness and lowered contrast. Here is another link which compares the PRS-700 vs. the PRS-600:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54728

The PRS-505, 600 and 700 all have the same Vizplex eink screen. The 600 and 700 have an added touch layer (this was before the IR touch screens of the PRS-x50 series), and the PRS-700 has built in side lighting to light up the screen. It seems that the built in lights led to less contrast and perhaps an extra bit of glossiness on the screen. Mind you, there were people who loved the PRS-700 and the built in lights, so your mileage may vary on whether or not the light is worth the loss of contrast and added glare or not. It could be that these problems have been solved with the new Nook.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote