Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: WHAT DEVICE HAVE YOU BOUGHT *THIS* YEAR?
Kindle 230 35.49%
Sony 210 32.41%
Nook 77 11.88%
Kobo 70 10.80%
Backlit LED (incl iPad) 108 16.67%
Other 104 16.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 648. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2010, 07:10 AM   #91
Debi
Connoisseur
Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Ipad Mini 2, Ipad Air 2
I haven't voted yet because I don't think I can vote multiple times.

How can I vote for Sony 3 times?

Bought the 900 in April
Got the 600 in August
And hopefully will have the 350 on the 17th.
Debi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:55 AM   #92
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi View Post
I haven't voted yet because I don't think I can vote multiple times.

How can I vote for Sony 3 times?

Bought the 900 in April
Got the 600 in August
And hopefully will have the 350 on the 17th.
Some will accuse you for working for Sony
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #93
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I bought two DXG's this year but could only vote for one. (shrugs)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:48 AM   #94
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I used to read on netbook, before Kindle, iPad and Touch. I'd read Gutenberg books. The screen didn't bother me, but I hated the weight, form factor and heat. I read on netbook because I was away from home for months and couldn't reasonably carry all I wanted to read. Kindle was freeing, and iPad and Touch even more so, for me.

I don't have problems concentrating on books while on Touch or iPad, but if that were a concern -- if I worried about someone e-mailing, Skype-ing, IM-ing, etc., while I read -- I would just turn on the airplane mode. That cuts off communication and Internet.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:57 AM   #95
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
My apologies for so blatantly bumping this thread. I know that practice is frowned upon and I understand why it should be.

I think, though, that this poll will only provide an interesting result if it's allowed to roll over the Christmas gifting season when we see new members whose gifted devices are likely to have been chosen at random and purely by media hype and can compare that to what more selective reader users have chosen this year after some research.

If I'm wrong about this and you feel we should let this thread die a natural death, please say so, and I'll humbly withdraw from attempting to keep it live.

Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #96
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
I think, though, that this poll will only provide an interesting result if it's allowed to roll over the Christmas gifting season when we see new members whose gifted devices are likely to have been chosen at random and purely by media hype and can compare that to what more selective reader users have chosen this year after some research.
so while we wait for Christmas , let me add my vote: other, Pocketbook 903, though still waiting for it to be delivered.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:47 PM   #97
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Bought the PRS-900 in January and just bought the PRS-950 2 days ago using the B&H special. Of course it's in back order so hopefully B&H will ship it soon.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:37 PM   #98
Kiwiscott
eReader Noob
Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Sony PRS 300, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Kobo Mini
I've bought 2 Sony 300s this year, mine 6 months ago, and one for my wife 2 weeks ago. So add an extra vote for Sony!
Kiwiscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:10 AM   #99
Selcien
Enthusiast
Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook color
I'm not sure how to vote here. I've bought a Sony PRS-350 and I'll be getting a Nook Color for Christmas. I didn't buy the Nook Color, although I did select it (it wasn't chosen for me), it hasn't shipped yet, and when it does I still will not have it until Christmas.
Selcien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:33 AM   #100
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Thanks for the interesting poll. I'd also like to know what the crossover is (within the same generation of technology). For example, how many people who have bought Kindle 3, subsequently go on to buy a Sony 650, or vice versa?
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:59 AM   #101
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting to see that Kindle is currently running neck-and-neck with Sony as top buy among members here so far this year (115 for Kindle -- 116 for Sony).

Although I'm a Sony fan, I think we'll see Kindle leap ahead over the holiday more on hype than any more selective comparison between the two ranges.

Thanks to all pals here who are heling keep this thread alive long enough to see what happens over the net couple of months.

Another prediction is ... a whole bunch of new MobileRead members after December 25 when we're joined by those many, many new ebook-reading devices thrilled to bits and/or looking for advice.

Best wishes. Neil
Old 11-25-2010, 11:11 AM   #102
neilmarr
neilmarr

PLEASE: If anyone objects to my bumping this thread, let me know and I won't do so again. I do realise that bumping is frowned upon in most forums -- and especially here.

It's just that I feel that any value this poll might have is to see buying trends this year and -- especially -- how they might swing over the gifting period between Thanksgiving and Christmmas/New Year when the non-ebook-savvy but generous buy devices for family and friends, perhaps based more on hype than research.

I hope nobody minds too much.

Happy Thanksgiving to those over the Shining Big Sea Water. Love and peace to all around your tables. Best wishes. Neil
Old 11-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #103
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I bought a PocketBook 301+ and an IQ this year.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:23 AM   #104
neilmarr
neilmarr

I was just running a wee freebie in another thread here where MR pals could choose two or three titles from our bookstore (linked below) and email me their choices and preferred format.

Must admit that I thought I'd see a great demand for Mobi, but the overwhelmingly most popular choice was ePub (probably around 80%). Of well over a hundred free books I sent out nobody at all asked for PDF.

That offer's open for the weekend now, by the way, if you want to take advantage of it. The Black Friday thing, though, meant that with other stuff on the go, I worked a straight forty hours without so much as a beer break, so please forgive me if I'm a bit slower off the mark sending out books over the weekend.

Cheers, folks. Neil -- ntmarrATbewrite.net (but use the @ sign)
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #105
Clancy_s
Zealot
Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Sony x2 - one in January, one in September
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote