Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-13-2019, 05:02 AM   #1
Erlend
Erlend began at the beginning.

Device: Android phone, Icarus eReader
Android 7" eReader recommendations? (And possible with Moon+ Pro on Kindle?)

Hi there!

I'm currently reading my books using Moon+ on my smart phone and on an older Icarus eReader device. The Icarus' screen has gotten some weird artifacts, so I'm considering buying something new.

I recently discovered Calibre, and migrated all my books from Google Play and Amazon to epubs, which I read using Moon+ (since that was the first app I found that advertised that they had reading statistics).

As I love statistics, I've made a system for aggregating reading data from the Moon+ backup files from both my devices. This makes me dependent on using Moon+ for reading, and as the Dropbox API (which Moon+ uses for syncing reading positions and backup files) doesn't support Android 4.2, I would like something newer than that.

Can anyone recommend a good 7" eReader, preferable with an Android version newer than 4.2 and (of course) as good battery life as possible?

I have considered the 7" Kindle, but I am unsure if I can install other apps on those (I need Moon+ and Calibre Companion, at least).

EDIT: Oops, my post evolved, so I had to change the title.
EDIT 2: Oh, I realize that my evolved post probably is more suitable for the "Which one should I buy" forum. Since I need an Android eReader, I think this thread may be suitable here, but if any mods disagree, feel free to move it. Thanks!

Last edited by Erlend; 03-13-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Erlend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:13 AM   #2
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 4, 5, 7 & 8, Nook ST, Glo, HD+, Echos
I have Moon Reader Pro on my Fire. You have to Google how to install Google Play and can then download on to a Fire. I have no need for Dropbox on my tablets, so I have no advice there.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:26 PM   #3
Erlend

Thanks! Are you otherwise happy with your Fire?
Old 03-13-2019, 08:17 PM   #4
kyrilson
Groupie
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
I also have moon+ reader on my Kindle fire and my Android phone. They synch up seamlessly and it's a great system for me.

I am curious about culling statistics from the backup files, as I love that kind of stuff. How do you do that?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:43 PM   #5
Erlend

Thanks, I'll have to check out the Fire, then!

The Moon+ backup files are "hidden" zip archives, that contain (among other stuff) database files with the reading statistics Moon+ stores for each of your books. I wrote a quick Python script that reads these statistics from all my backup files, aggregates them, and generates a visualization. If you're interested, I'm planning to put it on Github so that everybody can use it when I'm happy with it. Here's an example: https://erlenddahl.net/etc/books/ (looks very ugly on tiny screens yet, so I recommend using a computer).
Old 03-14-2019, 08:04 PM   #6
kyrilson
Groupie
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erlend View Post

The Moon+ backup files are "hidden" zip archives, that contain (among other stuff) database files with the reading statistics Moon+ stores for each of your books. I wrote a quick Python script that reads these statistics from all my backup files, aggregates them, and generates a visualization. If you're interested, I'm planning to put it on Github so that everybody can use it when I'm happy with it. Here's an example: https://erlenddahl.net/etc/books/ (looks very ugly on tiny screens yet, so I recommend using a computer).

That is super cool!! You have good taste in books too.

I’ll have to take a look myself, my python is rusty, used it in my last job, but now I’m mostly using sas/sql/hql
Old 03-14-2019, 09:17 PM   #7
kyrilson
Groupie

Quote:

Hmm, I poked around in the folders on my phone but couldn’t find the backup files. Can you point me to them (without revealing anything about your personal folders)?
Old 03-15-2019, 01:41 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung tab s , fire HDX 8.9, fire hd 8
maybe you have to tell moon+ to create a backup, via its menus, THEN look for where it puts them ?
i have it create occasional backups to my dropbox, in case i need to re-install. not sure if those are the backups referred to previously, or if there are others, e.g. in the folder where the app itself is installed . you should be able to find the main .db database folder that it creates and uses, on your device.
i can take a look at what is on my fire tablet if you are stuck

Last edited by stumped; 03-15-2019 at 01:45 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:07 AM   #9
Erlend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
That is super cool!! You have good taste in books too.

I’ll have to take a look myself, my python is rusty, used it in my last job, but now I’m mostly using sas/sql/hql
Thank you!

As for the backup file, you need to go to Misc options, and click Backup (at the bottom). The easiest (for me, at least) is to pick "Dropbox", but you can also put it on the SD card and locate it yourself. I don't know where it's stored then, as I always use the Dropbox option.

I put the code on Bitbucket with a short explanation of how it works if anybody wants to try it out or collaborate on it.
https://bitbucket.org/erlenddahl/bookstatistics

Last edited by Erlend; 03-15-2019 at 05:27 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:33 AM   #10
kyrilson
Groupie

Quote:
Thank you!

As for the backup file, you need to go to Misc options, and click Backup (at the bottom). The easiest (for me, at least) is to pick "Dropbox", but you can also put it on the SD card and locate it yourself. I don't know where it's stored then, as I always use the Dropbox option.

I put the code on Bitbucket with a short explanation of how it works if anybody wants to try it out or collaborate on it.
https://bitbucket.org/erlenddahl/bookstatistics
Thanks! I'll give it a whirl this weekend.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:23 AM   #11
maximus83
Addict
maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, PW4, Android
OP, to your question about a 7" reader: check out Google Nexus 7. You can still get them used on flea bay, or new or refurbished on Big River. Really amazing specs and screen for a now 6 year old piece of hardware. But you can update them with a custom ROM to Android 8.1, and run Moon+ perfectly. See my post on how I updated my Nexus 7.
maximus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:27 PM   #12
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks! Are you otherwise happy with your Fire?
I like the Fire for its versatility, but I don't do most of my reading on it. Due to vision problems, I've upgraded to an 8 inch, but still use the 7 inch when I go to the ER with family member (or on the rare instance, myself). I can play audiobooks, read books, watch Netflix, send text messages via Textfree. I don't have a Smartphone, so this is the next best thing. Just need a plug in to add power if needed and ear phones. When my bro was hospitalized, they didn't want him have a dangling line, so I brought power bricks from home. Worked slick.

Last edited by Tarana; 03-16-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:10 PM   #13
Erlend

Thanks, guys! I think I found that the Fire is more or less a regular tablet, right? I forgot to specify, but I'm primarily interested in a device with an e-ink screen. I read a lot before going to bed, and I think those screens are nicer to my eyes.

However, if I don't find any good options with an e-ink screen, I'll keep the Fire and Nexus 7 in mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
Thanks! I'll give it a whirl this weekend.
Great! Let me know if it works!

Last edited by Erlend; 03-16-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:48 PM   #14
Tarana
Wizard

I personally don't know of any e-ink reader that lets you install apps such as Moon Reader. You need some kind of Android device that has been hacked. I know someone mentioned somewhere that one of the ereaders is based on an android device, but alas, I don't remember which one.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:35 PM   #15
Erlend

My current Icarus eReader is actually like that; it's an open Android OS that lets me install anything I want. The only issue with it is that it has Android 4.2, is quite slow, and now the display is starting to die. And it looks like Icarus has gone out of business (their web page has been down for months).