Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-04-2019, 02:05 PM   #91
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
You da man
Actually, I'm da woman
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:57 PM   #92
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Actually, I'm da woman
The uber geeky one!
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2019, 09:03 AM   #93
yalp
yalp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura & Kobo Aura HD
Hi all,

I got the same problem of the reading position getting lost when the device stops with my Calibre sideloaded epubs... This makes the reader unusable for me. This is the first time I downgrade the Kobo's firmware in 6 years of using and updating my 1rst gen Aura (that's not that bad after all...).
yalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:04 PM   #94
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The problem you're seeing is entirely due to the differences in the default override CSS used by the two different Kobo reading apps used for kepub and standard epub.

For text alignment, the Adobe app, used for standard epub, uses
Code:
body {text-align: %1 !important;}
as it's override CSS, where %1 is the value you choose in the Kobo's [Aa] font menu (if it's not set to 'Off').

On the other hand, for the kepub reading app, the default override CSS used is
Code:
div, p { text-align: %1 !important;}
This is why setting the alignment to anything other than 'Off' changes your kepub centred styles for <div>s and <p>s to left/justify depending on which alignment you selected.

You have 2 choices to change this inconvenient behaviour:
  • set the Justification button to 'Off' and leave it there. You will then be reliant on each of your epubs/kepubs containing your text-align value(s) of choice.
  • use a kobo patch to change the override CSS for kepubs to match that for standard epubs. I don't remember whether you're a user of the kobopatch system but if you are the one you need to enable is called 'Un-Force user text-align in div,p tags in KePubs'
I forgot to respond about another idea I had about this. I was thinking that what's wanted is to only override the justified/left align for top level paragraphs; e.g.,
Code:
body > p, section > p { text-align: %1 !important; }
Although I'm not sure if that would match all top level paragraphs; what a top level paragraph is might be different for various scenarios. The other alternative, which I suspect CSS may not have is to only change text-align when it's set to justify or left. But even that would need tweaking if it's displaying a right-to-left language.

Last edited by lumpynose; 07-10-2019 at 02:06 PM.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:12 PM   #95
TheMgnt
TheMgnt began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeiGuddet View Post
My reader is a Kobo Aura 1st generation which is running a patched firmware 4.15.12920. When switching the Kobo on, the backlight is always on, but the backlight icon is not shown. In order to switch the light off I need to press the button 2 times: first to show the backlight icon (and also light gets a bit more brighter) and then a second press which turns the light off. Did anybody else notice this? And is there a fix for this?
I, too, am having this problem. Aura HD 1st gen. I am not using patched firmware.

The light comes on at it's lowest setting so in normal lighting conditions it may not be noticeable. I was thinking of rolling back to the last firmware but thought I'd check to see if anyone else was having this problem.
TheMgnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2019, 02:10 PM   #96
teapotz
teapotz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I have a new Clara HD and an Aura HD. Since the update, with sideloaded epubs the Clara mostly does not remember annotations or bookmarks and does not save notes even though it says they were saved successfully. It saves the odd bookmark or highlight but mostly not and I am not sure why some work and others don't. My Aura HD on the other hand works perfectly since the update so I've switched back to using it for now. I contacted Kobo, told them my problems after the update and that I had tried the factory reset and it did nothing to fix it. They told me they were aware of some issues with this update including those I mentioned. If you are having issues, report it. If you don't complain they don't know how many people are affected. I received a thank you from them saying the info I provided was helpful and they said that most people affected by these kinds of problems don't bother to report them and they thanked me for taking the time to do so. I'm sure my info was not that helpful, but at least there is another report in the pile telling them about a problem with the update.
teapotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:32 AM   #97
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@teapotz: Are you seeing these problems for the same books on the two different devices? There is a know problem with epubs that would explain what you are seeing. It has been discussed earlier in the thread. It is related to the structure of the books, and specifically the way the ToC is constructed. But, it should affect all the devices in the same way.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:31 PM   #98
teapotz
teapotz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
@teapotz: Are you seeing these problems for the same books on the two different devices? There is a know problem with epubs that would explain what you are seeing. It has been discussed earlier in the thread. It is related to the structure of the books, and specifically the way the ToC is constructed. But, it should affect all the devices in the same way.
I see the problems only with the Clara HD, everything is normal on my Aura HD. Both are updated with this firmware. I had the same books loaded on both. I had the Clara for about 4 weeks prior to the update and it worked fine, then the update and the problems started.
teapotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:04 PM   #99
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by teapotz View Post
I see the problems only with the Clara HD, everything is normal on my Aura HD. Both are updated with this firmware. I had the same books loaded on both. I had the Clara for about 4 weeks prior to the update and it worked fine, then the update and the problems started.
Can you check the firmware version on the Aura HD? From your description of what you are seeing on the Clara HD, there are only two causes I can think. One is the new problem with firmware 4.15.12920 which is related to the ToC construction. If this is the problem, then you will see it on all devices running this firmware version. I have definitely reproduced it on all of my Kobo devices. And, the differences between the firmware versions on the devices is the kernel and drivers. The application code is identical.

The other way this could happen is with a corrupt database. The factory reset should have fixed that. It should have rebuilt the database on the device which would remove that problem. Then, unless whatever caused the database corruption happened again, it should have the same behaviour. If it is a database problem, you can check the state of the database using any SQLite database manager. Or if you are a calibre user, it is likely to show errors when the device is connected. But, a more thorough check can be done using my Kobo Utilities plugin.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:34 PM   #100
drawson1
Connoisseur
drawson1 began at the beginning.

Device: Libra H20, Clara 2E
Remove "tiles" on 4.15.12920???

Is it possible to remove Home screen elements on 4.15.12920??

Thanks!
drawson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:00 AM   #101
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by drawson1 View Post

Thanks!
No, as far as I know, the homescreen is the same as it has been for a while now.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:31 AM   #102
Nemo1984
Connoisseur
Nemo1984 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by drawson1 View Post

Thanks!
It is possible via the patches. I removed suggestions, kobo store and increased cover size for the homescreen.
Nemo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:16 PM   #103
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo1984 View Post
It is possible via the patches. I removed suggestions, kobo store and increased cover size for the homescreen.
So just the text ones at the bottom?
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:23 PM   #104
Nemo1984
Connoisseur
Nemo1984 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
So just the text ones at the bottom?
Like this. My books only.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190715_181002.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	332.7 KB
ID:	172414  
Nemo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:42 PM   #105
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Hardly worth doing. The earlier kind of home screen had smaller book covers and allowed the entire screen to be the Most Recently accessed List. Now it's about 1/3rd of the screen and only four books. The two lower tiles are pointless compared to the Menu. The Advertising on ereaders that HAD NO ADVERTS when bought is an insult. Also they removed number of annotations info from the long press to get book details.

They went from better than the Kindle homescreen to worse. The Kindle at least lets you have a homescreen with no marketing and only subsidized models have the bottom banner add, which you can get turned off.

I paid more than the price of an unsubsidised Kindle PW3 for my H2O. They've degraded the home screen, only fixed a couple of bugs and the long standing bugs not fixed and new bugs are hardly out weighed by the couple of "features" added.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote