Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
jagtor58
jagtor58 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jagtor58 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jagtor58 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jagtor58 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jagtor58 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jagtor58 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jagtor58 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jagtor58 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jagtor58 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jagtor58 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jagtor58 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
A ?

I have a friend who reads romance novels, she reads extremely fast, but she does not have alot of money to buy new books so she goes to a used book store to trade them in. My ? is...............

Does the kindle store have alot of free or under $2 books........I want to buy her this for her to save money and be able to load as many books her little heart desires and enjoy them without spending alot and without having to go to the store. I am going to buy her the kindle dx in white and just want someone's opinion that reads alot and has been using a kindle.
jagtor58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagtor58 View Post
Does the kindle store have alot of free or under $2 books........
Short answer: Yes.
Long answer:
http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12819216...011&sort=price

1- Go to Kindle Store. On the left, click on KINDLE books.
2- Then, same area, click on Romance (or any other genre).
3- On the upper right hand side, sort by Price: Low to High

As you can see, there are a lot.

Just be careful on the cheaper books and check the copyright; some of the listed "cheap" books are actually out of copyright and can be had free from Mobileread, Munseys, Feedbooks, etc.

If she likes classics, there are literally tens of thousands that can be had for free. If she likes SF/Fantasy she might want to check out the BAEN Free Library.

Hope you get at least a honking big ATTABOY out of it.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
jagtor58
jagtor58 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jagtor58 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jagtor58 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jagtor58 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jagtor58 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jagtor58 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jagtor58 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jagtor58 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jagtor58 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jagtor58 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jagtor58 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Thanks fjtorres

I really never asked her what kind of books as far as romance......but I am guessing she like all because she reads so fast that I bought her 3 books once and one was 700 pages long and she had them all read in a couple of days............and she even tells me she reads constantley........so being she is a wonderful person and very will liked by all.......I just thought that she would really like this type of electronic device..........thanks for the advice.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Yes there are a lot of low cost books, and romance books in particular tend to be free or very low priced.

In fact, on Amazon, there is a Paid Top 100 Bestsellers list and a Free Top 100 Bestsellers that are updated every few days. You can find a lot of free books there, too, in addition to many other places across the web.

I think it's great that you're thinking of giving a gift to your friend. My only question is why are you getting them a DX in particular?

I would only recommend the DX is your friend might also use the ereader to load up PDF's or other documents (or things like manga) that would benefit from a larger screen. If she has bad eyesight, the DX is better because you can put the text size REALLY BIG and still have a lot of text on a single page.

But the DX is heavier so if your friend has some sort of disability that would make holding the device difficult, the K3 might be a better fit for her because it's lighter and thinner, and has page turn buttons on both sides of the device.

Hope this helped!
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:22 AM   #5
jagtor58

Thanks Anarel

The reason I am buying the DX is because ..............
1.) If I buy the DX and she wants to excange it for the K3 then she can within that 30 day period.
2.) She reads at home most of the time .......at least that is what she tells me............so I bought her the stand to go along with it so if she is reading it she can either sit at a table and use the stand or if sitting up in bed or on the couch she can put a flat surface down and use the stand that way, but she can also hold it if sitting up.
3.) I am guessing she has dreamed about this for a long time.......don't know for sure but you would have to be living under a rock not to hear about the ereaders available ..............so if I buy the DX and she knows once she opens it that she wants the K3 ..........then at that moment she can exchange it for the K3 and buy either books with the rest of the money or more accessories..........or both....................

The plan is to give her as much options possible...............and with the money I will spend on the DX ...........if she does decide to get something different she will be able to do so...................

To be honest the reasons I decided to go with the DX other then above..................is because if she does read at home...........and does not travel with it.............then the screen being so much bigger........I think will be more user friendly...............and she is in good health and wears glasses so she sees well.....she can put it on the smaller font size and not have to turn the page so often...............just trying to think of the best situation for her...........I could be wrong but with the DX she will have options........
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Ah, ok. I say go for it then ^^
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."

Go for it!

And, in that spirit, check this out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DVD-25-000-class...efaultDomain_3
Old 08-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
jagtor58

Yea that is the way I am unfortunately, spending this kind of money on a none family member is a little crazy..........but the truth of the matter is .......this woman and I will always be friends..............and probably nothing more............but it is hard for me not to do this because I know how much she will enjoy it................not everyday you get a chance to make a real difference in someone's life........................this DX is something she will get yrs. of enjoyment out of and plus help her save $.......so even though it is probably something I should not do and would be justified not to............I do have the money ............not a rich man mind you........but if I do this it is not going to hurt me in anyway and it will make her daily life so much more enjoyable ..............so I think I will go for it and make this happen thanks for the advice it is what I needed to feel comfortable ....................
Old 08-16-2010, 08:04 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Don't sweat it jagtor; it comes with the y-chromosome.
We've all done it at one time or another.
And it's usually worth it.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:02 AM   #10
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I remember sweet-talking a girl talking with her about a book which I hadn't read at the time. In fact, I still haven't finished said book. And in fact, I didn't get the girl.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:55 AM   #11
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:

The plan is to give her as much options possible...............and with the money I will spend on the DX ...........if she does decide to get something different she will be able to do so...................

Brilliant idea.

Quote:
Yea that is the way I am unfortunately, spending this kind of money on a none family member is a little crazy..........but the truth of the matter is .......this woman and I will always be friends..............and probably nothing more............but it is hard for me not to do this because I know how much she will enjoy it................not everyday you get a chance to make a real difference in someone's life........................this DX is something she will get yrs. of enjoyment out of and plus help her save $.......so even though it is probably something I should not do and would be justified not to............I do have the money ............not a rich man mind you........but if I do this it is not going to hurt me in anyway and it will make her daily life so much more enjoyable ..............so I think I will go for it and make this happen thanks for the advice it is what I needed to feel comfortable ....................
I really hope she'll like it. It's a very kind and thoughtful gift. Karma coming your way

Last edited by Ea; 08-17-2010 at 06:00 AM. Reason: typo
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:45 AM   #12
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Wow, what a great gift. I think she will be very happy, especially if she's an avid reader. Amazon frequently comes out with new freebies every month so there should be plenty of reading material for her to choose from.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote