Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
darius
darius began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
JooJoo

There seems to be a lot of hullaballoo going on about new products next year. Especially in the tablet market. First out of the gates, or rather first unveiling before CES is the joojoo tablet. 12" of colorful tabletting glory. This would undoubtly have no problems display full pdfs and possibly even bigger. Because of it's size, it can handle the full web with ease. And a lot of apps are being developed for it.

link

Personally I'm looking at what apple have in store. 2010 is going to be the year of the ebook reader... again
darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:00 PM   #2
Alslayer
Alslayer began at the beginning.

Eh, the price is too high for something that can't do as much as a netbook.
Alslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
crlock
crlock began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ V7
at first it's an awesome device, but then you realize that this is a web based device, meaning what you say? meaning that you don't have an OS, you have a browser like interface where you find diferent aplications, you have limited storagwe space, you have only wifi conection, so you are tied to your home/office/local starbucks, IT COSTS 500 DOLLARS!!! oh and did i mention that if you don't have internet acces, it's a usseles pice of very expensive plastic?
crlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
Blackranger3d
Blackranger3d began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ V7
Quote:
Originally Posted by darius View Post
There seems to be a lot of hullaballoo going on about new products next year. Especially in the tablet market. First out of the gates, or rather first unveiling before CES is the joojoo tablet. 12" of colorful tabletting glory. This would undoubtly have no problems display full pdfs and possibly even bigger. Because of it's size, it can handle the full web with ease. And a lot of apps are being developed for it.

link

Personally I'm looking at what apple have in store. 2010 is going to be the year of the ebook reader... again
The problem I have with apple stuff is that they charge WAY too much for the cool factor. And I'm afraid to even think of what they will do to lock down the file types (only ebooks from itunes )
Blackranger3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
If the Joojoo could run local applications instead of just web apps, I'd totally buy it. I think the price is more than justified by the 12" capacitive multitouch screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackranger3d View Post
(only ebooks from itunes )
That's a good point, since the iPod Touch is incompatible to music from anywhere else than the iTunes Store and doesn't support Kindle or eReader eBooks. Oh wait
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
If it would run XP or W7, I'd be interested...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:23 PM   #7
celtica96
Zealot
celtica96 began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N800, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, SmartQ 5 & 7, Mirus CT9W7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
If it would run XP or W7, I'd be interested...
I second that.

Folks may want to consider a Mirus CT9W7 instead--a Windows 7 convertible netbook for $500.
celtica96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:52 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtica96 View Post
I second that.

Folks may want to consider a Mirus CT9W7 instead--a Windows 7 convertible netbook for $500.
Can't even find one page on google if I search for that (ok, I got 2 hits back, both from mobileread...)... Let alone a shop that sells it.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:04 AM   #9
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Can't even find one page on google if I search for that (ok, I got 2 hits back, both from mobileread...)... Let alone a shop that sells it.
Try here http://www.mirusinnovations.com/
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #10
celtica96
Zealot
celtica96 began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N800, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, SmartQ 5 & 7, Mirus CT9W7
Where To Buy

Quote:
Folks may want to use this link to find where to buy one internationally: http://www.classmatepc.com/where-to-buy/.
celtica96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:43 PM   #11
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
The JooJoo does look like an interesting device to me. Seems it has an Atom processor, and possibly an ION for graphics. It appears they left of the SDHC card reader, that is a show stopper for me. It also needs XP or W7 for the price they quoted ($500). It is a good start but is not what I have been waiting for...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:05 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

If it has XP or W7 it is exactly what I'm searching for...
Old 12-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #13
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
That is damn impressive! It is a bit larger than I would want, but it really looks nice.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #14
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
Needs to be confirmed as multitouch, have at least a 32gb ssd and take sdhc. I had read somewhere that it could run w7 but I don't see how that's possible with the 4gb ssd unless they used external storage - which doesn't count imho.

I'd also like to maybe see a 10" version that weighs quite a bit less.

edit: oh, and the price needs to be no more than $399

Last edited by Houndx; 12-12-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #15
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
Yes, and it should have built-in wireless HDMI and a coffee machine and it should be able to beam me anywhere I want (at least 3 beams per charge!!)!

Seriously, considering that an iPod Touch with 32GB costs almost 300$ makes your wishlist pretty unrealistic. Flash storage is expensive, big capacitive displays are expensive. And everything is even more expensive for a small company like Fusion Garage.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote