Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 09-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
wss
wss began at the beginning.

Device: none
Bebook Loyalty

Most of the functions/features on the upcoming devices (inc. Bebook 2) are all the average reader will ever really need to enjoy a good book.. and at the end of the day, thats all the average reader, like me, is asking for - a good reading experience.

So whats going to determine my purchasing decisions, if im satisfied with Wifi, Battery Life, Touchscreen, Accessibility to ebooks?

The answer is how much does the company care about me, the reader?

Using Sony as an example, I looked over their most recent Annual Report (Aug/09).
It is clear that ebook devices are NOT a high priority for the company, now or in the near future. Why?

1. Not one mention of ebook devices in their annual reports. Rightly so, their other divisions are more profitable and their competitive advantage is not in ebooks.
What does this mean?
Sony have less to lose than other company's like Amazon, Astak and Bebook if they decide to reduce their resources on developments in the ebook market. Sony can afford to stop uploading ebooks on their website or have bad customer service,tech support, software, firmware upgrades, etc because thats little skin of their back.

2. Also, the CEO makes it no secret that they do not care about SOFTWARE. Their focus is on networking and hardware innovation.
What does this mean?
If i wanted to buy a stereo or any other product that does not rely on software, then get a SONY. Unfortunately, Ebook readers rely on software as much as hardware.

And whilst I have some reservations about Bebook as a company, they have a greater focus on the reader than most other ereader companies.
EG: http://tinyurl.com/y9gt4w5 This story on their twitter page is what really won me over to their company!

Sure, they havn't got the aesthetics as all the upcoming devices, but its got everything most devices have PLUS the added bonus of looking at the company's name on the ereader and being proud to support a company that supports its readers.

My advice to Bebook is not to forget their competitive advantage over its bigger players in the ebook market.

Keep us posted on Bebook 2, Pete!
wss is offline   Reply With Quote