Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
iolusia
iolusia began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505 and PRS500
using calibre as library database. Doc are not handled

Hello,

I have about 40Gb of ebooks in my computer. Most of them in several kind of files: doc, pdf, lrf, rtf, becouse I had a PRS500 and I had to try several times which kind of file worked better in the ereader.

The question is that I use Calibre, not only for convert to lrf, but mostly to keep a database of all the ebooks. I've made this choice because I haven't to write one by one all the data of every one single book, but add the book or the directory and Calibre makes more than the 80% of the whole work.

The "problem" is that calibre doesn't manage .doc files, so it doesn't recognize them. I have read some posts explaining the extra-job that will be that calibre will convert from doc. I understand that and I am not asking for the conversion. The question is:

There will be any possibility that Calibre can manage .doc files just to arrange them in the library as all the other files it can manage? Just for its use as a book manager?

Thanks and best regards.
iolusia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
Rafardeon
Enthusiast
Rafardeon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Why don't you convert these .doc files to .rtf? Are they too many? Maybe there's somewhere a batch converter?
Rafardeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I personally have no interest in the .doc format, but if someone were to write a metadata reader/writer plugin for the .doc format, I'd be happy to add it to calibre.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
I'd just like to add another vote to this enhancement. I - too - have a lot of doc files for various reasons. It would be nice not to have to convert them.
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Saving DOC to HTML is actually better if you want to convert them with Calibre to something else.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
iolusia

about converting .doc to another else:
the matter is that i also read in the pc with a program that i like a lot and reads .doc files.
Although sometimes I have converted from doc to rtf or lrf to have the book available to be read in the PRS505, for this purpose I don't want to convert files nor to html or rtf or lrf (i thought this was clear). In fact, usually I keep the same book in three or four kind of files.
I love Calibre because with it I can keep my book collection in track in a very easy way. I love the way it copies the books in a directory for each single author... and vanishes the terrible mess i have inside My books directory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I personally have no interest in the .doc format, but if someone were to write a metadata reader/writer plugin for the .doc format, I'd be happy to add it to calibre.
I hope there will be someone who could do that. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaase!!!

Thanks a lot and regards
Old 06-03-2009, 07:04 AM   #7
carrie
Enthusiast
carrie doesn't littercarrie doesn't littercarrie doesn't litter

Device: BeBook
iolusia

If you want to use it just to organise your .doc files you can.

When you go to 'add a book', you have noticed it only shows lit, pdf ect

Go to the little drop down menu above open and cancel. In the drop down menu choose 'all files'. Your .doc files will now appear and you can add them to calibre.

That's all I do.
carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #8
iolusia

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie View Post
Go to the little drop down menu above open and cancel. In the drop down menu choose 'all files'. Your .doc files will now appear and you can add them to calibre.

I am back from holidays and I've just seen your message. You are right. That solves my problem

thanks a lot!!!