Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > LRF

Notices

Old 07-18-2009, 11:57 PM   #1
ladykati
ladykati began at the beginning.

Device: prs700
LRF to Mobi??

So I have a PRS-700 I am thinking about buying a kindle DX. I was wondering if there is a way to convert my BBeb books, purchased through the Sony Book store, to a format that is supported by the kindle DX.

Thanks for your help.
ladykati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The DRM on Sony's LRX ebooks has not been circumvented, so they are locked to Sony Readers.

The DRM on Adobe ePub and PDF ebooks has been circumvented, and so these can be converted to MOBI for the Kindle.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
PDF is not usually worth the effort to bother to convert. Sometimes you can get way too many errors.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Is there a way to convert lrf found here on MobileRead to mobi?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
ruddell
Enthusiast
ruddell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
The ABC Amber Sony Converter can supposedly convert LRF to PDF, HTML, DOC, etc. You can't convert to Mobi in 1 step, but you should be able to use this to convert to a format that can be converted to MOBI with a different tool, such as mobipocket creator.

Here is the link: http://www.processtext.com/abcsonylrf.html

Now, if anyone finds a way to convert the lrx files, let me know! Once Google Books completes their lawsuit settlement and opens up the market for ebooks, us Kindle users are going to find ourselves wishing we had a Sony eReader I think!

Last edited by ruddell; 07-27-2009 at 05:19 PM. Reason: forgot to post link
ruddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2009, 04:53 AM   #6
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddell View Post
The ABC Amber Sony Converter can supposedly convert LRF to PDF, HTML, DOC, etc.
The result is very poor as you essentially get a txt file in different format containers.
There is a tool uploaded here in MR, LRFTools, which is more tricky to use but gives far better results, keeping most of the formatting.
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:45 AM   #7
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Nook Color, iPad
I've been testing the LRF tools to convert my lrf books to ePub. I have to say that I'm very impressed with it. The formatting is great, it works in batch mode and it keeps the directory structure intact. I use Calibre for my books, so pointing it to my library, and having it all output to a new directory is very straight forward. I think this is a great way to transition from lrf to any other format.

It outputs lrf as XML, PDF, RTF, HTML and ePub. From here, you can convert easily to anything else. It also has switches to help clean up hand made ebooks that may have formatting errors, as well as the ability to set custom formatting options.
edembowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:10 PM   #8
macthekitten
Enthusiast
macthekitten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macthekitten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macthekitten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS700
Is there a way to do the reverse? I have a .mobi file that I'd love to read on my Sony700 reader
duh, sorry LOL I just popped it into Calibre and Bob's yer uncle hehehe I really AM brunette, not blonde

Last edited by macthekitten; 08-29-2009 at 07:49 PM.
macthekitten is offline   Reply With Quote