Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-18-2009, 07:56 AM   #1
iain_benson
Connoisseur
iain_benson began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Memory Card Access Speeds

I've just done some quick benchmarking tests of various memory card types in the PRS-505 and assorted readers. I've used XBench on the Mac, and quoted the speed in megabytes per second for 256K block uncached reads and writes.

I don't know whether it is the internal card readers in the PRS-505, or the USB access, but it is disturbingly slow, even compared to a cheap USB reader. It's a pity there is no real way of getting an internal speed benchmark from it.

Code:

Memory Card  Sandisk Extreme III 8GB MS   Sandisk 2GB SD    Sandisk 2GB Micro SD   Sandisk Extreme IV 8GB CF
Reader                       Read    Write          Read   Write        Read    Write            Read    Write
Sandisk Extreme FW           4.07     3.86          9.08    3.72        9.01     3.24            83.93   67.29
Trust USB                    4.51     4.22          3.68    3.51        3.65     2.59		
PRS-505 USB                  1.90     1.58          2.40    1.70        2.56     1.83		
Sony Express Card           38.33    35.04
Note : I used a Sony Memory Stick to CF adaptor, a generic unbranded SD to CF adaptor and a Sandisk Micro SD to SD adaptor where necessary.
iain_benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
This is useful info. Thanks. (I haven't received my reader yet, but I guess the slowness rumors are all true...)
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
They used a different chip in the 700, so the card reading time is really fast.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I usually only transfer one or two books at a time, so I have not noticed any slowness. I expect that it could get very annoying if I was transferring a large batch of files!
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do you really need to use a memory card? I found that I could comfortably carry 100+ books in the internal memory with no difficulty, with is about a year's reading for me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you really need to use a memory card? I found that I could comfortably carry 100+ books in the internal memory with no difficulty, with is about a year's reading for me.
Examples of useful things, other than your current ebooks, that could be carried in a Reader:
- newspapers and magazines. (Also, you might often want to save articles for a little while, so wind up saving old issues.)
- Schedules, found in PDF, like from your gym or favorite sports team.
- Reference material for work.
- Deferred web reading, captured via Bookit.
- Operating manuals for your various devices and appliances.
- PDF publications. Like the 2009 Fuel Economy Guide, or tax publications.
- A surfeit of "good intentions" Classics.
- Tutorials. Technical, language-learning, etc.
- Dictionary(s).
- Religious texts (Bibles, Korans, etc.), even if you're not religious, just to look up stuff.
- etc.

It really depends on your preferences about information vs. overload and clutter.

After two weeks of ownership, I have come close to filling my PRS-505's internal memory, so have offloaded stuff to an SD card. That's with most of my ebooks not yet loaded.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Yeah I have a ton of .PDFs I want to carry with me for work purposes, many of which consist mainly of scanned images, some over 10 MB.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote