Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-11-2008, 06:41 PM   #16
SilverBullit
SilverBullit began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook
Whoops.

Ah, well it was my conclusion after reading what he thinks going to be a competitor for eInk devices.

Even if it is. That all in one laptop is never going to be promoted as an ebook reading device.

Just look at the efforts Sony puts in marketing their Reader

Last edited by SilverBullit; 12-11-2008 at 07:31 PM.
SilverBullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #17
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
If you're interested in the arguments for and against the doom of eBook devices, have a look at this entry in Charles Stross' blog. (though I'm guessing quite a lot of people have been over there.)

Short summary: he explains why he thinks that the market place will generally get swallowed by the phone/mp3/ipod touch devices as the volumes are too small, except for the high end professional markets where things like stylus scribbling are important. But he was surprised by the popularity of the PRS-505 amongst editors, so wonders if he has missed something.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2008, 07:12 PM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullit View Post
Just look at the efforts Sony puts in marketing their eReader
Just to pick my favorite nit: the Sony device is named "Reader" -- no "e."

eReader is an ebook format, and one that is not at all compatible with the Sony Reader.

The only reason I point this out is that folks are frequently (and understandably) confused about the point and get (also understandably) annoyed when their eReader books don't work on their Sony device that they thought was named the same thing.

So we try to minimize the confusion on the point as much as we can.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #19
SilverBullit

Honestly I do not think the average consumer will understand the difference between reader and ereader.

The way an average consumer will see the market:

eReaders:

Kindle
Sony
Iliad
Bebook
Cybook

That not all readers are can read the many different formats is not important. The most important thing is wheither or not a reader can read the newest Harry Potter.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #20
SilverBullit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
Short summary: he explains why he thinks that the market place will generally get swallowed by the phone/mp3/ipod touch devices as the volumes are too small, except for the high end professional markets where things like stylus scribbling are important. But he was surprised by the popularity of the PRS-505 amongst editors, so wonders if he has missed something.
It all comes down to availability of the (e)readers

Do you think the iPhone would be this popular if it where not available everywhere?
Advert
Old 12-11-2008, 08:10 PM   #21
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
And he is missing the point that people don't want to have a device that can do everything.
I do actually want a device that can do a lot of things, but only if it can do them well. Until that day comes, I'd rather have multiple single-purpose devices that excel at what they do.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:20 PM   #22
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Honestly I do not think the average consumer will understand the difference between reader and ereader.
I think you're absolutely correct, and that's where folks get confused -- like I said, it's totally understandable.

I just feel a responsibility to try not to add to the confusion, and if possible, reduce it where I can, that's all.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:52 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I think you're absolutely correct, and that's where folks get confused -- like I said, it's totally understandable.

I just feel a responsibility to try not to add to the confusion, and if possible, reduce it where I can, that's all.
The reason this is an important thing to point out is because many people go to a site like FictionWise, see them "recommending" eReader format (because they own it!), and think - "I have an eReader, so obviously this is the correct format for me!".

WRONG!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:00 AM   #24
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
It all comes down to availability of the (e)readers

Do you think the iPhone would be this popular if it where not available everywhere?
Interesting point. I was in John Lewis (a well respected department store in the UK), and they had a display of the PRS-505 at what I would guess was a prime site (a major flow of people passing it). They had two separate devices out on display (in different colours), and a glass display case with, I would guess, about 50+ PRS-505's in it. There was also a partner (John Lewis term for assistant, but they really do mean partner), who was answering questions from a couple who were trying it out after having just given someone else a red PRS-505. There was at least another person waiting as well. Interestingly, the partner (for what I heard) really understood the PRS-505 and was answering honestly about it -- the couple decided to get one just as I left (most people seem really impressed with the readability of an e-ink display when they get to see one).

So at least the PRS-505 is becoming a lot more available and visible in the UK (i.e. as well as John Lewis, who featured it on the front cover of one of their gadget pamphlets, you have Waterstones and Sony Centres that I've see displays with them.)
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:50 AM   #25
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Sounds to me like he's saying that ebook readers are doomed because they will be replaced with ebook readers.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:06 AM   #26
KindleDude
Connoisseur
KindleDude doesn't litterKindleDude doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I haven't seen OLED in person. Is it anywhere as easy on the eyes as e-ink? If I could have a little netbook or tablet that was about the size and weight of my Kindle, that was as kind to my eyes and daylight readable I'd switch as long as I could get a full day on a charge. If it's not OLED, I'd still bet that there will be a technology that will fit the bill. I don't think this will be any time really soon, but I do think that stand-alone reading devices won't be with us for the long haul.
I've seen them, they're very vivid and bright, I haven't tried to read on one. I think they'd (well, obviously) be great for video, not sure about reading print for long periods.
KindleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:24 AM   #27
mizo9999
mizo9999 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 700
I agree that eInk has qualities--basically not lit up--that make it the optimum for a reading device. I am thinking that colored eInk and larger screens not made of glass--and thus eventually cheaper--will be coming, if the demand justifies it. It doesn't look like the demand will justify it happening any time soon though.
mizo9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:34 AM   #28
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Actually the irony is that after e-reading spent a decade on converged devices (i.e. PDAs, laptops, desktops), it finally migrated to dedicated devices. Now that it is has gotten off of a dedicated device, they are predicting its downfall...

I imagine eventually it will move back to a converged device, but not until the screen technology has advanced to the point where it meets the needs that eInk serves as well as the needs that current backlit LCDs meet as well.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #29
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Actually the irony is that after e-reading spent a decade on converged devices (i.e. PDAs, laptops, desktops), it finally migrated to dedicated devices. Now that it is has gotten off of a dedicated device, they are predicting its downfall...
I think ebooks haven't been very popular in the past because of the difference in reading experience from paper with the converged devices. It's the screens, IMO, not the fact that they're multi-function. Most people find reading on them uncomfortable for long periods. I've wanted to switch to ebooks for over a decade but didn't until e-ink because I simply couldn't bear reading for hours on a CRT or LCD. Some people don't mind it or even prefer it but from what I've seen, they're not in the majority. I think if we can get the right screen technology, we can go back to converged devices. I think most people would prefer them, even people that aren't big into reading. They'd use them for other things, mostly, but that's fine. If this kind of device became mass market, that would likely mean lower prices. I bet practically every student would want a netbook that you could use to take notes, do a little school work, and comfortably read all your texts. You could carry around a whole library with you that was searchable. Internet access would get you even more. These days more and more libraries are putting resources on line. Annotations and citations would be a breeze. I would've loved something like that when I was in university.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:34 PM   #30
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
That not all readers are can read the many different formats is not important. The most important thing is wheither or not a reader can read the newest Harry Potter.
Uh Oh! They aren't going to be happy to hear that the answer is "No" then! To my knowledge, there are no legal eBook versions of the Harry Potter books. However, if they want to read The Chronicles of Narnia eBooks they are all set.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote