Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
aleritty
aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 keyboard
Restore original kindle software (to write a cool HOWTO)

Hi!
I followed a lot of guides here around and I finally turned my kindle 3 WiFi only (broken screen) in a really good webserver with some other functions.

Now I really want to write a guide to permit others to get root and turn their kindle in a webserver, with eventually FTP, port-knocking and all security possible.
I will write a guide especially for people with a broken screen, so they can reuse their kindle!

But to do this I really need to restore the original linux that my kindle had, because in this way I can write step by step everything I did without my trial and error phases.

So, I think that the best way will be download the original firmware and kernel and dd them in the correct places? But for my kindle there is only the / partition image and not /var/local (thus I'm not sure I modificed something inside that).

What is the better and safer way to regain a clean environment to write my guide? Thank you for your help!

Last edited by aleritty; 09-09-2012 at 09:20 AM.
aleritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Start in the K3Flasher thread.
Or wait a few days - Hawhill has some changes in the works.
Also check the large collection of software twobob has recently compiled for the K3.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
aleritty
aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.

Thanks, I'll use k3flasher to return to the origins!

Actually I hope that I remember everything correctly because it was an hard work to get everything function correctly! :-D
Old 09-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
aleritty

I can't access gitbrew to download the images, there is anyone here around that can give me images for K3 (fw v.3.3)

I have another identical k3, how can I extract the image from that? I searched but k3flasher want memory addresses to dump...

Last edited by aleritty; 09-09-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try the first listed (pastebin) in this (top sticky) post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929

Last edited by knc1; 09-09-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Advert
Old 09-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #6
aleritty

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Try the first listed (pastebin) in this (top sticky) post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929
This pastebin is the on that I'm following, but the images are hosted on gitbrew that is down from 2 days now... So I can't download the images, but I can extract them from my other kindle maybe?
Old 09-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleritty View Post
This pastebin is the on that I'm following, but the images are hosted on gitbrew that is down from 2 days now... So I can't download the images, but I can extract them from my other kindle maybe?
That list includes images and kernels for the K3 on mediafire.
Try your page down key when viewing the pastebin page.

For what you are proposing to do, using the 3.0.2 image and kernel should be fine.
Otherwise, you will have to update the 3.0.2 install to the desired starting version.

Last edited by knc1; 09-09-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
aleritty

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That list includes images and kernels for the K3 on mediafire.
Try your page down key when viewing the pastebin page.
No, it doesn't, for k3 there is kernel 3.3 on mediafire but no system image other than gitbrew.

Quote:
For what you are proposing to do, using the 3.0.2 image and kernel should be fine.
Otherwise, you will have to update the 3.0.2 install to the desired starting version.
I'll try with the old image and kernel
Old 09-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Or wait for the version 3.4 images to be posted.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #10
aleritty

Actually I decided to experiment a little bit further and I'm extracting the whole memory from my unhacked-original kindle 3, and I'll write that memory on the broken-screen one (except devid of course).

After that I'll start again modifying it.

Thank you for your help till now!
Old 09-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #11
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Actually I decided to experiment a little bit further and I'm extracting the whole memory from my unhacked-original kindle 3, and I'll write that memory on the broken-screen one (except devid of course).

After that I'll start again modifying it.

Thank you for your help till now!
That could be a problem if you overwrite the portion of /dev/mmcblk0 that contains the idme vars (serial number, mac address, and such). Better to only write the parts you need, using k3flasher or ATK.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
That could be a problem if you overwrite the portion of /dev/mmcblk0 that contains the idme vars (serial number, mac address, and such). Better to only write the parts you need, using k3flasher or ATK.
There is (or was) a script in the k3flasher project that would pull the logical parts of the mmc out as different files.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #13
aleritty

Yep, in fact I'm using k3flasher, I dumped everything from my "good" kindle and wrote everything back on my "bad" kindle EXCEPT the devid part, fortunatelly the author of k3flasher used a backup script that export in separate files every part of the memory, putting everything together is really simple!
Old 09-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #14
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Yep, in fact I'm using k3flasher, I dumped everything from my "good" kindle and wrote everything back on my "bad" kindle EXCEPT the devid part, fortunatelly the author of k3flasher used a backup script that export in separate files every part of the memory, putting everything together is really simple!
Is the bad kindle working again?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #15
aleritty

Yep, It finished to write an hour ago and it's fully functional! (except the broken screeen of course, that is phisically broken)

Now I have another problem but is unrelated: I don't have the wireless connection sat up in that kindle and without the screen I'm unable to make another connection... I'm trying with wpa_supplicant from ssh now but is a little bit difficult!