Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 07-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
MarioP
Nameless Being

Question Connecting Kobo Vox to TV?

Hello everyone!

My wife just purchased a Kobo Vox. Not only is she using it for her reading, but also for work (she's a teacher) and the size is perfect to carry around her teaching materials.

One thing I would like to know (as my exhaustive search has come up empty-handed), is does anyone know if it's possible to connect a Kobo to a TV (either the old fashioned RCA cables or newer HDMI).

The idea is that she could display teaching videos, presentations and what not on a bigger screen. I've checked the big stores like Future Shop, Best Buy and even Amazon.

Surely for an open sourced platform like Android, someone has to have tinkered with the idea.

Last edited by MarioP; 07-16-2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Question already asked / answered.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
The vox lacks the hardware required to do this.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
didn't somebody link theirs to a video baby moniter? I thought I read that way back at the beginning.
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:30 AM   #4
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I seem to recall someone mentioning that the chipset supports video output, though I forget in what form and I don't know how much effort it would take to add the appropriate connectors. It would range from soldering wires to pins on a chip, to adding some components and compiling a kernel.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
It might be possible via wifi - see these apps for examples. Unless the hardware is already in place (ie: wifi projector, wifi tv box, laptop ) it would probably be cheaper and better to buy a new tablet with HDMI out and save the vox for home use.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #6
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Using a server on a computer & appropriate app would allow for material to go to the Vox (example Calibre Server/get books into Aldiko) . Getting it to go the other way however (from the Vox to TV etc) is another story....
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Using a server on a computer & appropriate app would allow for material to go to the Vox (example Calibre Server/get books into Aldiko) . Getting it to go the other way however (from the Vox to TV etc) is another story....
Actually, most of the apps listed will turn your Vox into a streaming server to a wifi enabled projector or tv. In the case of one app it will mirror the Vox display (though root is required).

Or did I misunderstand your comment?
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
The Vox is missing the required hardware for some of the apps. Wifi Doc can't be installed, neither can MirrorOp Sender, MobiShow PRO, WiFi-Doc, RemoCamWT etc.
Rooting is not for everyone and no easy root process has been posted since the last Vox update for those apps that could work with rooting.
What I meant is that it's not a given that it will be easy to make things work with all the constraints the Vox hardware imposes... Plus you need the correct equipment to "receive".
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
Using a DLNA device attached to the TV is a possible route. Some Blu-ray players and TV's support this in a limited fashion. There are dedicated digital media devices like the WDTV and Boxee Box etc which are more versatile.
I have had limited success streaming video and images from my Vox to my Panasonic blu-ray player and better success with my GEN2 WDTV which supports more video and audio formats.

It is likely to be a long frustrating process however!

Also, if you have a laptop with WinXp or Win7 you can use Twonky's media streaming software to play to DLNA devices. There are even Android aps that allow you to control the Twonky server with your Vox.

Larry Mohr
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote