Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kindle forum needs prefixes

The Kindle forum needs prefixes for all the different Kindle eink models.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Does the Sony-Man have difficulties following all the developments in the Kindle section?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
JSWolf -- I agree and had also started a thread requesting this exact forum functionality.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I concur
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:28 AM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Well, as I stated in that other thread, I really don't see the need for additional prefixes or sub-forums. The models all do the same things; the only difference is whether they do it using a physical keyboard, a virtual keyboard, or a 5-way controller. The only real difference I can see is the X-Ray function on some of the newer models.

I can understand why the Kindle Fire would merit its own sub-forum. It's as different from other Kindles as night and day. It's a tablet with a backlit screen that runs apps. But the other Kindles are extremely similar. Outside of the X-Ray function mentioned above, which I doubt many owners will use with any regularity, and one or two other quirks such as the 3G Touch needing a WiFi connection to surf the Internet, they're all basically the same device.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Well, as I stated in that other thread, I really don't see the need for additional prefixes or sub-forums. The models all do the same things; the only difference is whether they do it using a physical keyboard, a virtual keyboard, or a 5-way controller. The only real difference I can see is the X-Ray function on some of the newer models.

I can understand why the Kindle Fire would merit its own sub-forum. It's as different from other Kindles as night and day. It's a tablet with a backlit screen that runs apps. But the other Kindles are extremely similar. Outside of the X-Ray function mentioned above, which I doubt many owners will use with any regularity, and one or two other quirks such as the 3G Touch needing a WiFi connection to surf the Internet, they're all basically the same device.
Even though they may do the same thing, the internals are not the same. So even if you feel the Kindle forum doesn't need prefixes, the Kindle Developer forum does and as long as it does, the Kindle forum should also get them. The Sony forum has them. Why? The Sony readers do mostly the same things. So that's really not a very valid excuse not to have the prefixes.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
spear
Connoisseur
spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Different Kindles use different cases. Some Kindles have Special Offers, some don't. As mentioned before keyboard, joystick, touch all have different procedures. These differences may seem trivial to some people, but if I am having problems with my Kindle Keyboard I would like to easily search for an answer (why start a new thread, if the answer exists?), and currently I find my self a little confused (and frankly less interested in just looking around for "new" discoveries for my Kindle like I used to) and I am not a novice.

I visit the Kindle forum less then I used to (and less then the forums for some of my older devices) partly because of the clutter and chaos.

ADDITION: Suggestion; maybe poll the users of the Kindle Forum to see the best option.

Last edited by spear; 01-13-2012 at 04:10 PM.
spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by spear View Post
Different Kindles use different cases. Some Kindles have Special Offers, some don't. As mentioned before keyboard, joystick, touch all have different procedures. These differences may seem trivial to some people, but if I am having problems with my Kindle Keyboard I would like to easily search for an answer (why start a new thread, if the answer exists?), and currently I find my self a little confused (and frankly less interested in just looking around for "new" discoveries for my Kindle like I used to) and I am not a novice.

I visit the Kindle forum less then I used to (and less then the forums for some of my older devices) partly because of the clutter and chaos.
You just brought up an excellent point. One cannot search for K1, K2, K3, KK, KT or K4. That just doesn't work. So prefixes would allow searching for threads about the different Kindles since searching does not work. So because of this, it's impossible to do a search that finds all the threads you are looking for.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #9
spear
Connoisseur
spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Exactly, what good is a database that is unsearchable? Granted there are many things in common with all/many models, but there could be a "General Kindle" prefix for those items if wished.

Last edited by spear; 01-13-2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: spelling....
spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

What I want to know now is what's the staff's reasoning for not having Kindle prefixes since we just gave them the ultimate reason for having Kindle prefixes.