Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2011, 04:27 AM   #1
shout
shout began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kobo touch's Dictionnary on ePub format

Hello everybody ,

I want to buy an ereader and I was wondering if the kobo touch's problem with dictionnary it now fixed.
The F.A.Q says I won't work on PDF format but "may not work" on other format.
On this forum, i saw some topics about this feature (and it always been said it doesn't work) but the topics were old and it may be fixed now with some software update.
If someone here with a kobo touch can give me information on this feature ?

Thank you by advance .
shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:33 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Initially the dictionary worked only on kepub books. This is no longer true. It now works on sideloaded ePUB books as well. There are also some very nice translation features now.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2011, 05:00 AM   #3
shout
shout began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ok, thank you for your response
shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
I'm considering buying a Kobo Touch. Was in WH Smith this morning playing around with the display model and I was impressed. But I could not get the dictionary to work. After I came home I did some research and discovered a post saying that the dictionary does not work on Gutenberg ebooks, and the that's what the books on the demo model were.
Just wondering if this is the case and if so if there are any plans to address this in the future. It seems the Kindle dictionary does not suffer from this limitation.
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You almost might like to see what firmware level the demo unit has. At current (1.9.12) versions dictionary does work in both ePub and Kobo format books. You can tell what format a book is in on the Library / Books screen; books will list as either EPUB or KOBO EPUB.

You can check firmware level from the HOME screen by clicking on the gears symbol, and then Device Information.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmartin View Post
I'm considering buying a Kobo Touch. Was in WH Smith this morning playing around with the display model and I was impressed. But I could not get the dictionary to work. After I came home I did some research and discovered a post saying that the dictionary does not work on Gutenberg ebooks, and the that's what the books on the demo model were.
Just wondering if this is the case and if so if there are any plans to address this in the future. It seems the Kindle dictionary does not suffer from this limitation.
Most likely they do not update the display models. The dictionary does work on all book type.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
What the Kindle lacks is no support for books other than the ones you buy from them. (And the Kobo Touch looks nicer than the Kindle Touch )
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Dictionary works on all my books (all epub, no kepubs). I'm at firmware 1.9.11. I only update stuff when there's a feature I actually want. So, I'm waiting for 1.9.13!
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:34 AM   #9
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
Thanks for all the info, I'll check the demo model next chance I get.
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:22 AM   #10
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
The WHSmith demo devices may have an older version of the firmware on them. Our current version which you will get with a brand new device supports dictionary on Kobo books and sideloaded ePub books as well, gutenberg or otherwise.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote