Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-12-2011, 05:29 AM   #1
Xosted
Xosted began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Is there any new innovative tech coming soon?

Hi everyone,

Like many, I am thinking about buying an E-boor reader soon. And still like many, I struggle to find relevant information about these devices.
So far, the PocketBook 903 seems to be the one matching most of my requirements (large display, e-ink for comfort, maximum format compatibility...) But considering the price of it, I am a bit worried not to know anything about what is cooking on the manufacturers side.
I wouldn't want to buy it now and find out that in two weeks a company Z releases a new "super fantastic" piece of tech, cutting by half the price of current devices.

So is there anything coming soon? anything that would be worth waiting for? where to look for this kind of info?

Thank you all
Xosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:43 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
As far as I know there's nothing startlingly new due out in the next few months.

eInk have started shipping their new colour Triton displays, but apparently not yet in sufficient quantity for a mass-market ebook reader.

Mirasol have been working on a colour bi-stable display for some time, and have shown off engineering samples, but I haven't heard anything about contracts and mass production yet.

Liquavista have what looks like even more interesting tech, but are probably even further from market than Mirasol.

Plastic Logic (robust all-plastic displays) have been promising shipments for ages, but have yet to do anything in large quantities.

Hopefully in 2012 we'll see a mass-market 5" or 6" ebook reader that either has a reasonable colour display, or has a properly robust greyscale display.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #3
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
IIRC, some have complained about bugginess in the Pocketbook 903. You also would have to import it.

As for e-ink, if you look at the video Charbax posted in the News forum, the E-ink VP of marketing talked about plastic substrates (which will make for a more robust screen, allowing for a lighter e-reader) and higher resolution.

This is just my personal opinion, but I doubt the price of 9.7" inch devices is going to go down. Also my opinion, but the most interesting thing in large e-ink readers I've seen is Ricoh's e-reader/writer for enterprise. I haven't seen any other e-ink devices flip through pages as quickly as it does.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
joenunya
Banned
joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle4pc
We will probably see the first color eink screen readers and other devices in the latter part of 2012. Otherwise I haven't read anything interesting and genuinely new.
joenunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Also in that interview by Charbax in news forum, the e-Ink guy mentions that Texas Instruments? is currently manufacturing a chip will dramatically increase screen resolution of e-Ink screens (using the present day e-Ink technology).
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #6
Demented
Connoisseur
Demented began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, Nook, Cybook Original
It seems like someone would be able to produce a high end single purpose reader at this point.

I'd like to see:
9-10 Inch Pearl Display
Finger touch display
Lite weight
Decent battery life
Fast Page turning
Compact Form Factor(< 1 cm border around the screen)

No need for 3g
No need for wifi

The onyx book m90/91 seems to be the closest but it lacks the finger touch display on the 91s model to truly make it stand out. Plus it seems a bit on the hefty side.
Demented is offline   Reply With Quote