Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #1216
lohtse
Groupie
lohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Touch
Would love to see

Ability to view more titles than five or 6 files in library.
WORKING CBR viewer.
Ability to dim screen.
Jepg viewer.
Email app.
Working SD card drivers(f/w from 2.61 don't work correctly on my touch)
Better web browser...

Thats about it....
lohtse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #1217
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohtse View Post
WORKING CBR viewer.
Looks to be fixed in the beta firmware.
Quote:
Ability to dim screen.
How do you dim a screen that doesn't have a light? So, I'm not sure what you want.
Quote:
Jepg viewer.
There is one. I have used it in the past, and it is working in the beta firmware i am running now. Where did you put the JPEG you wanted on the device?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2013, 03:23 AM   #1218
lohtse
Groupie
lohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Looks to be fixed in the beta firmware.

How do you dim a screen that doesn't have a light? So, I'm not sure what you want.

There is one. I have used it in the past, and it is working in the beta firmware i am running now. Where did you put the JPEG you wanted on the device?
beta firmware???

on my psion you could alter the contrast of the grey scales(thats what I menat not dimming)
Old 10-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #1219
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
beta firmware???
Yes, but it isn't generally available.
Quote:
on my psion you could alter the contrast of the grey scales(thats what I menat not dimming)
I don't think the e-ink screens allow that sort of control. There is some adjustment to font sharpness and weight that might help.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:33 AM   #1220
lohtse
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, but it isn't generally available.
any chance of getting a copy to try??
Advert
Old 10-25-2013, 05:56 AM   #1221
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Hi, lohtse. I'm not sure if it is what you are after, but if you open the settings bar at the bottom of the page, press the "AA" character (text settings), then "Advanced" there is a slider labelled "Weight". This seems to alter the contrast, though the difference between one end of the slider and the other isn't great.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #1222
mld
mld , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mld , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mld , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mld , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mld , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mld , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mld , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mld , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mld , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mld , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mld , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

If you want my point of view, any firmware update pushes you into beta testing.

I have a lot of books coming from various sources and I had to turn off wifi because I ended being forced to update/upgrade and it compromised my enjoyable reading as well as my epuq files. I bought that eBook to read, not experiment. I'm still running 2.2.0 and if I upgrade I will pick the version I want, not the latest.

Like many things in life, change does not mean benefit.
mld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #1223
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mld View Post
If you want my point of view, any firmware update pushes you into beta testing. ... I bought that eBook to read, not experiment. ... Like many things in life, change does not mean benefit.
There is a lot of truth in that! Kobo updates have a deservedly bad reputation for messing with things that don't need touching, and having an all-or-nothing attitude to accepting what they have changed.

If there isn't an easy way to restore from an update, think hard before installing one unless it is likely to cure a problem you are experiencing.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #1224
lohtse
Groupie

hmmmm lots of great points of view....... 2.61 is the best I have found so far as it allows the latest hacks etc without loosing the ability to read CBRs... but still would loive to get my hands on the beta with jpeg support, would be the bee's knees for me I suspect..
Old 10-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #1225
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
... but still would loive to get my hands on the beta with jpeg support, would be the bee's knees for me I suspect..
No beta needed. I just tried it on my Touch running 2.5.1 and drag and drop of a .jpg file and it shows up in the book library and displays just fine.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #1226
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
No beta needed. I just tried it on my Touch running 2.5.1 and drag and drop of a .jpg file and it shows up in the book library and displays just fine.
Just out of genuine interest, why would you want to open jpgs on a black and white screen?
Old 10-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #1227
lohtse
Groupie

Have a lot of maps I refer to for work....and all my manuals etc are on the ereader as lot smaller than my droid tablet and lighter so unless I need the tab I have now started prefering the kobo... so jpeg support would be useful...
Old 10-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #1228
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Have a lot of maps I refer to for work....and all my manuals etc are on the ereader as lot smaller than my droid tablet and lighter so unless I need the tab I have now started prefering the kobo... so jpeg support would be useful...
Ah, yes. That makes sense. Lack of imagination on my part. I use my Note for the same things, but if I didn't have that I might well do the same as you. In fact, the Touch probably does some of those things better (keeping a map on the screen without burning through the battery, for instance).
Old 10-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #1229
lohtse
Groupie

It would be great for nothing more than quick ref when teaching
Old 10-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #1230
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
It would be great for nothing more than quick ref when teaching
Screen resolution on the Touch is going to be your limiting factor (esp if there is text on the map) but just drop one onto your Touch and give it a shot and see how it works for you (capability is there).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote