Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
caheaton
Enthusiast
caheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo & Kindle apps (PC, Android), Aura HD, Kindle Touch
Unhappy Not syncing today...always very slow in the past

Hello, in the hopes of downloading the 1.9 firmware, I just tried syncing my (Borders) kobo today. I noticed an odd behavior...when I click the sync button, I get the progress bar and the screen that says "This may take a few minutes" (a joke as my Kobo often takes an hour or more to sync!). Today it just seems to time out after 2 minutes or so. I can see data traffic occuring across my network in spurts after clicking the sync button, but no sync occurs. I confirmed this be reading a few pages of an unread book in the desktop app. After ejecting the kobo and checking, the book still shows as unread on the reader. Has anyone else been having this problem?

And what about those slow syncs? Previously, both at work (50mbps bandwidth) at and home (2mbps bandwidth) it would take as long as 2 hours for a sync to complete. It seems like it redownloads every book, and only in spurts with long pauses in between. If I do it directly with the kobo via wifi, it finishes in about 45 minutes.

Have others been having this problem? My Borders desktop app contains 30 books. Total memory usage on the kobo is around 400Mb (other books have been loaded via ADE).

Overall, I like the Kobo but the software seems to be incredibly buggy...as if it was all alpha code...

Last edited by caheaton; 04-01-2011 at 04:24 PM.
caheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
As a comparison, my Kobo WiFi takes about 15 seconds per book to download (I suppose it depends on the size of the book). It only downloads NEW books, and not any of them that are already loaded. For those it just sync's the bookmarks to the servers, and takes only a second or two for all them.
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
caheaton
Enthusiast
caheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo & Kindle apps (PC, Android), Aura HD, Kindle Touch
Very interesting, as mine is also the wifi version (from Borders) of the Kobo. Perhaps I need to try using Kobo's software rahter then Border's.
Craig
caheaton is offline   Reply With Quote