Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
Gem
Gem began at the beginning.

Device: Still not sure
Art School Reader

Hey, I was in the market for an Ebook reader and found this site

My problem is that I'm constantly sorting through tons and tons of big text books. I tend to work in various locations and I always have to run back and fourth to get the books I need, or I just grab 5 or 6 10lb books in a backpack and hope thats all I'll need on a given night. (usually isn't)

My laptop is fine for loading up reference photos and some reading/video, but a large screen is wide (books are mostly tall) and make's my notebook too large to whip out in the middle of a lifedrawing session (much like most books). Doesnt help that I cant use it very well in sunlight.

Any current readers that might lessen my burden out there?

Bonus if I can make notations in it.

Thanks!
Gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:44 AM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

For this you have basically two options:

1 - get a new laptop, but now a tabletpc one.
A tabletpc resolves your landscape versus portrait problem as it can rotate the screen and let you read your documents in portrait. Also it lets you with with a digital pen, meaning you can annotate your books, take notes in your meetings, classes, etc, desing in it, and so on.
It does not stop here, as it keeps on being a normal laptop offering all the functionalities one does have.
You have two types of tabletpcs: slate and convertibles.
If you have never seen one, check per example the TV show CSI New York, when they are in the lab and show each other information in a computer that looks like a notepad, that is a slate tabletpc.
A convertible looks like a normal laptop, but rotates the screen and lets one put if on top of the keyboard, looking like a notepad ad prepared for note taking, web navigating, or what ever one want to do with it.
Take note - you will still have the same problem with trying to read on it in the sun;

2 - a Letter/A4 eBook reader
Today the unique ones are from Irex - the iLiad with a 8.1” screen and the Digital Reader with a 10” screen.
Announced for sometime in the summer is also the Kindle DS with a 10” screen.
Info about these second option and personal experiences, you should check the respective forums here.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote