Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2006, 03:19 PM   #1
Frogsmasha
Connoisseur
Frogsmasha began at the beginning.

Formatting for this device

Does anyone know any formatting guidelines for this device? I have some files stored, and when viewed with notepad or other programs, they tend to look a little cluttered. So I am wondering if anyone knows how I can prepare some of the files I have for the new Sony Reader, rather than scrambling when I have the device in hand.

Thanks alot.
Frogsmasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:50 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
We sort of discussed that in July, I think ... here you go.

My best guess (which came out of that discussion) on PDF sizing was 3.54” X 4.85” with a .03” margin or 89.9mm X 123.2 mm with a .76 mm margin.

That ought to be a good place to start experimenting, anyway.

Of course, we can't really know until we do have Readers to experiment on....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:21 PM   #3
Frogsmasha
Connoisseur
Frogsmasha began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
We sort of discussed that in July, I think ... here you go.

My best guess (which came out of that discussion) on PDF sizing was 3.54” X 4.85” with a .03” margin or 89.9mm X 123.2 mm with a .76 mm margin.

That ought to be a good place to start experimenting, anyway.

Of course, we can't really know until we do have Readers to experiment on....
Good deal. I didn't think about searching for anything since the device isn't out yet. I greatly appreciate that link :-)

I hope it's quite easy to format the various file types I have.
Frogsmasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:00 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
If all else fails, you ought to be able to slap them into RTF format.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:31 PM   #5
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Same topic, different question (I hope I'm not getting annoying): how would I go about using this novel on the Reader? It's there on the page in html, zipped in html, and in pdf (the files are formatted with 2 pages side-by-side).

Would I somehow convert it to rtf? Or just copy/paste it into a Word document and let the Reader software convert it to rtf? Or does it need to be formatted to the size page in the Reader somehow?

Once I get some of these basics understood, I won't bug you so much, I promise. Some of my favorite sf authors are free under CC licenses.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:48 PM   #6
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
I used the free html to rtf software from http://htmltortf.com the one on the far right of the screen did the job fine. How it displays on the reader, I have yet to determine.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:13 AM   #7
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultim8fury
I used the free html to rtf software from http://htmltortf.com the one on the far right of the screen did the job fine. How it displays on the reader, I have yet to determine.
I used this software also. Using a font size of 18 makes for nice large readable text (the default is 10, which is readable but a little squinty. Somewhere in the middle might be a nicer balance...).

One downside is that the software doesn't seem to be able to handle smart quotes and m-dashes and things. I got some weird character sequences when converting Eastern Standard Tribe - a few quick Find and Replaces fixed it, though.

All in all, though, this software is really useful. Thanks for the link! I wish there were a few more options, and I wish I didn't have to browse for both input and output each time, but minor niggles. :-) I'm also going to try out BookDesigner and see how that conversion process goes.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:38 AM   #8
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
What's wrong with opening html in Word and saving as an RTF?
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:57 AM   #9
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
You can only do one at a time in word. htmltortf does batch processing, makes a lot more sense if you have a few files to do.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:25 PM   #10
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks for the info. I just opened Eastern Standard Tribe in Word, and got weird characters on every line.

As for PDF it sounds like normal pdf formatting isn't ideal for the Reader. I've never manipulated pdf files, so I don't know if this can be done, but is it possible to create some kind of macro or program to run pdf documents through to custom-format it for the Reader? Is there a way to do it manually?

Last edited by Michele; 10-03-2006 at 12:38 PM.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote