Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #46
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by missimpossible View Post
Yeah, this is how I feel. It's fine on a phone or a tablet, but I don't like it on an e-reader.
Why not?

What's the difference between a flush screen on a tablet vs. an e-reader?

I'd rather have a flush one, as I like cases that cover the bezel (slip-in cases). Now I have 'step' from the case to the bezel, and another one from the bezel to the screen. A flush one would remove one step. It would also remove the shadow on the left side of the screen (I have a reading lamp over my left shoulder in bed, as I don't like to use the front-light in complete darkness.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:01 AM   #47
missimpossible
Groupie
missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2, Clara 2e, Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Why not?

What's the difference between a flush screen on a tablet vs. an e-reader?

I'd rather have a flush one, as I like cases that cover the bezel (slip-in cases). Now I have 'step' from the case to the bezel, and another one from the bezel to the screen. A flush one would remove one step. It would also remove the shadow on the left side of the screen (I have a reading lamp over my left shoulder in bed, as I don't like to use the front-light in complete darkness.)
I definitely see your point. I find that using the flush screen on a phone, for example, makes my thumb cramp up. If I'm reading for an extended period at home or work I tend to remove my reader from its case as it makes it lighter (not that the case is heavy, it just makes it as light as possible) so having the "step" is important in that respect. I have a few other objections to the Aura as well in that I just don't like the casing at all, the way the back feels is all wrong for me.

These are very personal things - I have a joint issue in my right hand, arm, and shoulder that is the reason I use my reader the way I do but I can definitely see the advantages of a flush screen
missimpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:06 PM   #48
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
How is the software on the Aura HD compared to the Kobo Glo? Honestly, I was glad to give my Glo to my husband after fighting with the software. Towards the end of my use of it, I was having to reset the device more than once a week because of freezes. Then after reset I would have reload all of the books.

I decided to update my husbands Glo(which is my old one) to the new 3.5.0 firmware. Everything updated smoothly and his books opened fine, but later that night when he went to read....it was non responsive. (Wasn't the first time it happened either)I had to reset it. Once my husband was finished reading, the device couldn't be put to sleep by sliding the button. He had to wait and thankfully it went to sleep after fifteen minutes. (Not a huge deal, but it should work as it did before)

My kindle may not have fancy abilities or a big screen....but I have never had glitches or anything that required a reset. Nothing worse than reaching for your reader(especially in the middle of the night) only to find that the thing won't wake from sleep. I am sure you will find people who have had issues with Kindles, I just wanted to give my experience. At one time, I loved my Glo and the glitches didn't bother me. I kept thinking that they would work it out, but it never happened for me.

Hope this helps,

Penny

Last edited by mystika1; 07-19-2014 at 05:40 PM.
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #49
missimpossible
Groupie
missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2, Clara 2e, Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
How is the software on the Aura HD compared to the Kobo Glo? Honestly, I was glad to give my Glo to my husband after fighting with the software. Towards the end of my use of it, I was having to reset the device more than once a week because of freezes. Then after reset I would have reload all of the books.

I decided to update my husbands Glo(which is my old one) to the new 3.5.0 firmware. Everything updated smoothly and his books opened fine, but later that night when he went to read....it was non responsive. (Wasn't the first time it happened either)I had to reset it. Once my husband was finished reading, the device couldn't be put to sleep by sliding the button. He had to wait and thankfully it went to sleep after fifteen minutes. (Not a huge deal, but it should work as it did before)

My kindle may not have fancy abilities or a big screen....but I have never had glitches or anything that required a reset. Nothing worse than reaching for your reader(especially in the middle of the night) only to find that the thing won't wake from sleep. I am sure you will find people who have had issues with Kindles, I just wanted to give my experience. At one time, I loved my Glo and the glitches didn't bother me. I kept thinking that they would work it out, but it never happened for me.

Hope this helps,

Penny
I'd be interested in hearing opinions on this issue too. One of my annoyances with my Touch and part of the reason I'm replacing it is that about one in three times that I plug it in it will crash after being ejected. Sometimes this results in the books I have added not appearing which means I need to reattach it and go through the same process again and hope it won't crash this time. I also have an issue with page turns being unresponsive and double page turns. I don't know how much of this is firmware-relate and how much is just my particular device but it's definitely been a consistent flaw. So I'd be interested to know how this has developed through newer iterations of Kobo devices?
missimpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #50
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missimpossible View Post
I also have an issue with page turns being unresponsive and double page turns.
Multiple page turns was also a problem for me.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:32 PM   #51
mystika1
Addict

I just figured out why I can put the kobo to sleep. The switch is broken. Now my husband can only use the kobo with a sleep cover. That's rich....
Old 07-19-2014, 09:37 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One benefit of the Kindle not having user-installable fonts is that the supplied fonts can be (and are) optimised for the Kindle's screen, and hence have higher contrast than the user-installable fonts on some other devices. When the Kobo Aura HD first came out, there were quite a few complaints here on MR about how "grey" its fonts appeared. Personally I think the Kindle's fonts are just fine.
I have to disagree. I think it's a good thing to be able to have the font of choice. Also, the Kobo software allows tweaking the font to fit how the user wants it to look.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-19-2014 at 09:46 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:22 PM   #53
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
All I can say is the only freezing/crashing problems I have ever had on my Kindle are when, say, using the skipstone browser hack and trying to load a website that is too heavy for it. Instant forced reboot, but then again,

hacks == Here Be Dragons
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:55 AM   #54
indyglow
Connoisseur
indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.

Device: iPad Air, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
I never had many problems with Kobo Aura HD and with the 3.5.0 firmware it seems to be getting better and better. Yet to come across a freeze or needing to reset device on Aura HD post firmware 3.1.0. Bigger screen, sideloading fonts, and comfort light were the reason for me to choose Kobo over Kindle.
indyglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:23 AM   #55
Lemons
Enthusiast
Lemons began at the beginning.

Device: None
I have been looking through this thread and other posts seeking out opinion's as well comparison's as I can not find much, even through researching into quite a bit on both of these two devices. One thing I notice is the is the Kobo Aura HD does not have any rugged cases and was curious of just how durable it is, as I sometime's am clumsy and have a habit of dropping device's, such as I noticed the Kindle pw 2 had a Otterbox case that is.

The other thing that was holding me off was I already have a old Nook simple touich (without light) that is a few years old and sluggish but the screen size can be a bit small at times so I was put off by the Kindle being the same size of it and looks almost identical to it how much better would the newest one be compared to that and how comen is the cracking-bugs I have heard about.

As for the store buying I won't ever be using it or wifi so I have no interist in that

Last edited by Lemons; 07-20-2014 at 01:27 AM.
Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:59 AM   #56
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
I have been looking through this thread and other posts seeking out opinion's as well comparison's as I can not find much, even through researching into quite a bit on both of these two devices. One thing I notice is the is the Kobo Aura HD does not have any rugged cases and was curious of just how durable it is, as I sometime's am clumsy and have a habit of dropping device's, such as I noticed the Kindle pw 2 had a Otterbox case that is.
If you have a habit of dropping devices, maybe look for a case with a wrist strap attachment, put on an adjustable strap, and make a habit of using it. All rigid-glass eink devices have a chance of shattering if twisted or dropped.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:26 AM   #57
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
The other thing that was holding me off was I already have a old Nook simple touich (without light) that is a few years old and sluggish but the screen size can be a bit small at times so I was put off by the Kindle being the same size of it and looks almost identical to it how much better would the newest one be compared to that and how comen is the cracking-bugs I have heard about.
The resolution on the PW (and indeed any of the other modern ereaders) is better than the Nook ST, so you would notice an improvement in how it looks, but if you feel the screen is a little small, the Aura HD with its slightly bigger screen sounds perfect for you.

As for cracking bugs? I've no idea what that is, do you just mean how common it is for people to suffer from cracked screens? If so, it's not particularly common but all ereaders are somewhat fragile, the glass substrate behind the top layer of the screen is prone to cracking if pressure is put on it (whether its from flexing, or a hard object leaning on it, or from being dropped), just treat it with care and buy a case for it. When you carry it in a bag, make sure there's nothing thats going to lean on the screen, even if your reader is in a case. +1 to what Meera said too about getting a case with some kind of strap if you are prone to being clumsy, a case only offers some protection, it's not a guarantee it'll keep it from being damaged.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:03 AM   #58
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
I just figured out why I can put the kobo to sleep. The switch is broken. Now my husband can only use the kobo with a sleep cover. That's rich....
May I assume you never pried the back of the Kobo off to get to the card inside? Both of my Glo switches are broken, but it's because I took them apart Not a problem, as both of mine reside in cases.

I occasionally have to tap the screen more than once to turn the page, but not so often that it annoys me. I don't recall having that problem on my Aura HD, however.

The Aura HD is truly in a class by itself. Whatever minor flaws one might perceive surely don't matter that much, when taking into accounts all the benefits of the large screen, even light, excellent hardware, and yes, excellent software. My opinion! The Aura HD is the Cadillac Escalade of the Kobo line.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:47 AM   #59
mystika1
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
May I assume you never pried the back of the Kobo off to get to the card inside?
No..I only messed around with the kobo patch and night mode. I never really needed to open the unit as it has enough memory for me.

Thanks,

Penny
Old 07-20-2014, 12:12 PM   #60
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Well then it's a shame the switch on yours broke. I recently got an original Touch and the switch is still quite fine. I think, in general, they are pretty sturdy. You must have gotten one of the few that wasn't.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote