Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #16
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Maybe I'm daft, but I seem to have read at some point in time that e-mailing stuff to your Kindle e-mail address actually costs money for each item you send, and it costs extra if the file needs to be converted to Mobi/AZW.

Was this ever the case, is it still the case, does it only apply if you download through 3G.... I am not completely sure. If it costs money, then mailing a load of stuff to your Kindle could walk into the papers (*).

(*) That was an intentionally written, direct 1-to-1 translation of the Dutch proverb "In de papieren lopen", which means something costs much more money than intended.
I think that might be in the case of Whispernet. Wi-Fi is free but sometimes there could be a charge if done by Whispernet. http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...200767340#fees
I always use my Wi-Fi so I don't have that problem.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #17
KimberlyFDR
Groupie
KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Fire 7, Fire HD 6, FireStick, Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Connect
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Exactly, only if it's via 3G. Wi-fi transfers have always been free.
And I double-checked that many times when I first got my Kindle last year I send a lot of documents to my Kindle every day (A LOT) and always download over wi-fi for free. Since I don't have a 3G version of either the Kindle or Kindle Fire, I can't comment for sure, but you should be able to put your document cost limit to $0 under Manage Your Kindle and that will force download to only be over free wi-fi.
KimberlyFDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeighs View Post
I don't like to sideload because it's a pit of a pain. I'd rather just click a couple of buttons. Until your post, though, I didn't realize that I would be missing out on the benefits of cloud if I did it that way. Thanks!
I always upload my books with Send to Kindle. I love that the PW separates my Docs from the Amazon books in the cloud! It's like having my very own Archive I customized my way and I get all the same benefits of a Amazon book with Whispersync. 5GB is alot of space too. Last year I had nearly 300 books uploaded before I wiped them all this year to start fresh. I own 5 Kindles devices and 1 Tablet so Syncing my books are very important to me. Although I only read on the PW as of late.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #19
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyFDR View Post
And I double-checked that many times when I first got my Kindle last year I send a lot of documents to my Kindle every day (A LOT) and always download over wi-fi for free. Since I don't have a 3G version of either the Kindle or Kindle Fire, I can't comment for sure, but you should be able to put your document cost limit to $0 under Manage Your Kindle and that will force download to only be over free wi-fi.
You can also just disable the feature entirely. I have mine set that way so it always go to WiFi and never 3G.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #20
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I always upload my books with Send to Kindle. I love that the PW separates my Docs from the Amazon books in the cloud!
More annoying is that Amazon, without asking, changes periodicals into personal documents if you email them to your Kindle, so you end up with two categories: periodicals from Amazon, which go into the archive folder and get expired, and periodicals from Calibre, which don't, so every old issue sits outside all collections cluttering things up until you delete them. Yes, that's right, Amazon silently edits your MOBIs in flight. Not very nice, really.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #21
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
More annoying is that Amazon, without asking, changes periodicals into personal documents if you email them to your Kindle, so you end up with two categories: periodicals from Amazon, which go into the archive folder and get expired, and periodicals from Calibre, which don't, so every old issue sits outside all collections cluttering things up until you delete them. Yes, that's right, Amazon silently edits your MOBIs in flight. Not very nice, really.
Interesting I didn't know that. One thing I really like about STK is the fact that you can either choose to archive your uploaded book or just to send it to your Kindle(s) or both. So you don't have to have a book archived if you don't want to nor do you have to have it loaded onto your Kindle by the program if you just want to put it in Archive.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #22
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I don't know why, but I've been having issues with books sent by email. The covers don't show up, but everything is fine if I just sideload them through USB. Is this a know issue? I send the books in AZW3 (which I always use) but I believe they are converted into mobi while being sent.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #23
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPE View Post
I don't know why, but I've been having issues with books sent by email. The covers don't show up, but everything is fine if I just sideload them through USB. Is this a know issue? I send the books in AZW3 (which I always use) but I believe they are converted into mobi while being sent.
Do you add the covers to books via Calibre and then just send them through email via that route? If you add a cover to a book in Calibre you have to reconvert it before saving it somewhere or the cover won't stick to the file.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #24
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPE View Post
This is a known bug and there is no fix for it other than to sideload them.
Pdoc service doesn't support KF8. It's best to convert them yourself to Mobi and then send them and you will get covers every time.

Last edited by Blossom; 02-05-2013 at 07:59 PM.