Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 08-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
tipplej
Jason
tipplej began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question What if you died every day?

The DEAD LOOP

Hello fellow writers and readers!

In the DEAD LOOP trilogy, Ewan Charles experiences his own death every day. It's an intense psycological thriller mystery. Is that a new genre I wonder? !!!

I was hoping to share with you my video trailer for the Dead Loop. Its the first time I have ever made a home video. I thought a breif video showing off ones book was an unusual and under-used idea. I would very much appreciate some feedback on how effective my video is in generating intrigue in the book.

Any suggestions would me much appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: avi DEAD LOOP TRAILER AVI.avi (7.22 MB, 191 views)
tipplej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sounds like Groundhog Day just with a death that day. So yes, it's kind of been done before (living a given day over and over).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!
MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
As JSWolf said, the basic premise has been done before (again and again and again and again - nearly everything does a Groundhog Day spin-off eventually). There are plenty of book trailers floating around, too - a quick rummage through YouTube will show you that that's also an overdone idea.
MissKittiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Star Trek: The Next Generation did an episode that had the ship exploding over and over.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!
MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Supernatural has an episode in which Dean, one of the main characters, dies every day in a different fashion.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
tipplej
Jason

[QUOTE=MissKittiness;2172646]As JSWolf said, the basic premise has been done before (again and again and again and again - nearly everything does a Groundhog Day spin-off eventually). QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback guys!
I guess I never thought of it being like Groundhog day.
Its not really, because Groundhog day is the continual repetition of the same day over and over again. In the Dead Loop Ewan Charles dies every single day but then the next day is a completely different day. The book is about the emotional states he experiences as he learns that he can do nothing to stop an inevitable death occurring at some point during the day. The book explores his feelings as he tries to understand whats happening, until he eventually meets someone who claims to be experiencing exactly the same thing. The mystery grows around what is happening to him and why. Also the explanation to Groundhog was poor, he just sort of fell in love and it stopped happening to him, which always felt a bit weak to me. Unless I misundersood the end!

As much as I love Bill Murray, I think the Dead Loop would make a far superior film to Groundhog day. (Although I did like Groundhog day!) "Put your little hand in mine..." on the radio" every five minutes!

There is no book written where the main character dies at the end of every chapter!

That all said, I appreciate your feedback although I think you would see the originality in a different light if you read it!
Old 08-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!

It sounds like Groundhog Day. Changing certain plot lines doesn't mean it isn't just another spin-off. (You also might want to grab an editor if it's typed in the same fashion as your posts here, so that you're not lumped in with the indie authors who don't have editors. )
Old 08-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
tipplej
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKittiness View Post
It sounds like Groundhog Day. Changing certain plot lines doesn't mean it isn't just another spin-off. (You also might want to grab an editor if it's typed in the same fashion as your posts here, so that you're not lumped in with the indie authors who don't have editors. )

Thanks for the advice although I do have an editor and a professional proofreader. There is a slight difference between the process of editing a book mutiple times and me typing up a post on here. Im not sure but it sounds like your criticising my grammar or something in my posts but am unsure why you feel the need to do so. Im not sure the relevance or need of saying 'in the same fashion'.

After 300 hours of blood sweat and tears of working on a book I dont really need negativity. I dont mind people judging my book and giving an opinion on whether they love it or hate it as thats welcome feedback. I also dont really see how anyone can say its a spin off of Groundhog Day who hast read any of it! Not to mention the fact that you can pick any bestseller and say that it similar to many other books. Hunger Games, 50 Shades, etc are not in the slightest bit original. Doesnt mean people wont read them! In fact Hunger Games is so similar to Battle Royale its incredible.

At least three London literay agents have told me my book is highly original although very few are signing new authors. But like I say, I respect your opinion just not the "fashion" in which you seem to offer it.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
tipplej
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sounds like Groundhog Day just with a death that day. So yes, it's kind of been done before (living a given day over and over).
Blimey! How did you read so many books in 2012 already?
Old 08-04-2012, 06:36 AM   #10
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipplej View Post
Thanks for the advice although I do have an editor and a professional proofreader. There is a slight difference between the process of editing a book mutiple times and me typing up a post on here. Im not sure but it sounds like your criticising my grammar or something in my posts but am unsure why you feel the need to do so. Im not sure the relevance or need of saying 'in the same fashion'.

After 300 hours of blood sweat and tears of working on a book I dont really need negativity. I dont mind people judging my book and giving an opinion on whether they love it or hate it as thats welcome feedback. I also dont really see how anyone can say its a spin off of Groundhog Day who hast read any of it! Not to mention the fact that you can pick any bestseller and say that it similar to many other books. Hunger Games, 50 Shades, etc are not in the slightest bit original. Doesnt mean people wont read them! In fact Hunger Games is so similar to Battle Royale its incredible.

At least three London literay agents have told me my book is highly original although very few are signing new authors. But like I say, I respect your opinion just not the "fashion" in which you seem to offer it.
If you only want feedback which strokes your ego, then I suggest that you ask your close personal friends for their opinion, rather than opening yourself up to a forum full of strangers. You asked for feedback and opinions, and I've provided it: if your current grammar is similar to that of your book, it will not be well-written. If your synopsis is an accurate description of the plot of your book in any way, then it will just look like yet another Groundhog Day ripoff.

Not everybody is going to like your book, and if you think that I'm rude, you've got a long thing coming when some of the GoodReads reviewers get their hands on your book.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #11
tipplej
Jason

Dead Loop website

The DEAD LOOP has its own website.
Dead-Groundhog-Loop-Day.com

Not really...
It is
http://dead-loop.com/

I guess the FAQ on there might explain it a bit more clearly than my synopsis.

For example:

Is Ewan Charles based on the author of the Dead Loop?
No! The author is happily married, fairly successful, British and likes skydiving.
Ewan charles is married, succesful, British, loves skydiving and dies every day.

What exactly is the "Dead Loop"?
The Dead Loop is the name that Ewan gives to his own situation of dying every day or the "situation" he is in.
Its definitely nothing to do with motorbikes.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Blimey! How did you read so many books in 2012 already?
Read books you like and just read read read.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The DEAD LOOP

Is that a new genre I wonder? !!!
Captain Scarlet used to die at the end of every episode.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #14
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If it's like Groundhog Day, all the more reason to read it. Really, there are tons of stories you can tell with time loops, time travel, etc. it's not like you can patent the idea.

But it's not actually like Groundhog Day, if it's not the same day there's no way the main character can tune it to be a perfect day by trial-and-error, which is what Groundhog Day is all about really.

So the only similarity might be the dying and coming back to life part; which happens in Groundhog Day only because the main character becomes so despaired he commits a series of suicides. But this is only one of several side plots in Groundhog Day...

Your web page design takes some getting used to, it's not the 90s anymore

Can you make this available through other channels than Amazon, e.g. Smashwords? Or at least put some sample chapters on your webpage?
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #15
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Wait. He dies every day and comes back to life the next day. Not a reliving of the same day over and over? Wouldn't everyone else around him go, "Hey! Aren't you supposed to be dead?!??"
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead, death, thriller