Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
neadams99
neadams99 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2, 3, KFire, Samsung Epic 4G
Things I wish the Fire would do:

Does anyone know if the Fire can read to me via the text to speech (like my K2 can)?
Also, I am missing the 3G capability (mostly, while in car or non-WiFi places). Will AMZN be able to/be interested in get a Fire out later on with this capability?
neadams99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Currently the Kindle app does not have TTS feature. However, the Fire does have Pico TTS built in, so you can use that with apps that have TTS. I imagine that they will add this feature to the Kindle app in the future, though hopefully they'll also let you install 3rd party TTS engines also, there are at least a couple that are better than Pico TTS.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I haven't found any text-to-speech yet. I don't believe it's there.

3G may come one day, but they would have to make a deal with a wireless carrier. I don't mind not having it as I have my phone if I need 3G for something. But I look at it as a sign to take a break. LOL... I am glued to my gadgets when I'm at home, when I'm out it's nice to leave them alone for a bit.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Mantano has TTS that works okay. I am not a fan of Pico TTS but it does work okay.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
I haven't found any text-to-speech yet. I don't believe it's there.
The Fire comes with PICO Text to Speech Engine but you need an app like Mantano or similar for it to work. Kindle app doesn't have it yet but the capability is there is Amazon ever wants to add it.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:24 AM   #6
neadams99

Thanks for the info. I have Montano (Free version), I'll try to have it do TTS for me. It is a must for me while working out, so I don't have to try to read or turn pgs while on a treadmill.
Guess I should be happy to be unplugged (no 3g), for some of my day. "NEO are you there, NEO?"
Another item I wish Fire had is swype technology. My aneroid ph has this and I love it. Could I sideload it perhaps? WOULD IT WORK?
Old 11-28-2011, 01:26 AM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neadams99 View Post
Thanks for the info. I have Montano (Free version), I'll try to have it do TTS for me. It is a must for me while working out, so I don't have to try to read or turn pgs while on a treadmill.
Guess I should be happy to be unplugged (no 3g), for some of my day. "NEO are you there, NEO?"
Another item I wish Fire had is swype technology. My aneroid ph has this and I love it. Could I sideload it perhaps? WOULD IT WORK?
I don't think alternative Keyboards work on the Fire. I haven't tried it but I tried to install another TTS engine and it went crazy so all I can say is you can give it a try but my guess is no.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #8
Danariel
Enthusiast
Danariel is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
It is possible, there's a thread over at XDA Developers. It should be only be done by folks comfortable with the possibility of bricking their device as it requires Root access. Not for the faint of heart.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=19437337

The post where they get it working is #11.

I started out trying to get this to work, and had so much trouble getting the Android Market to work (i.e., never did, though I did get Gmail, Talk, and a few other Google Apps to work) that I'm sending it back.
Danariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:37 AM   #9
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danariel View Post
I started out trying to get this to work, and had so much trouble getting the Android Market to work (i.e., never did, though I did get Gmail, Talk, and a few other Google Apps to work) that I'm sending it back.
The instructions on XDA for installing Android Market are pretty horrible, even though they are self described as easy. If you still want to try, check my notes here. I have it working on my Fire:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158615
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #10
Danariel
Enthusiast
Danariel is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks for the simple looking and easy to follow instructions, but I had more frustrations with it than just Market access. More in-depth post here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=175

I'm getting a BB Playbook instead. Price drop + double memory + double RAM + Bluetooth (for a keyboard if I want one) + 2 cameras? No brainer. And it'll be ale to run Android Apps pretty soon (now if I can find that app player beta...)
Danariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #11
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Playbook looks nice in terms of hardware. Personally I'd want something that natively runs Android. I also would not get one of the HP Touchpads with webos, even though the prices are attractive.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #12
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The Carousel in itself isn't going to make me return it but my wish for the KF would be for that to be much more orderly.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:16 AM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
The instructions on XDA for installing Android Market are pretty horrible, even though they are self described as easy. If you still want to try, check my notes here. I have it working on my Fire:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158615
When I had my NookColor I found the XDA instructions to be horrible and unreliable too. They often left out steps or important explanations. I don't think I ever got anything done without consulting several different websites then using trial and error to figure out what the hell they were trying to write. You have to be able to read their minds I guess! At any rate the rooted NC was still not very good because the XDA stuff really never addressed many huge issues like battery drain.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #14
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
At any rate the rooted NC was still not very good because the XDA stuff really never addressed many huge issues like battery drain.
Not my experience, I find CM7.1 awesome on the NC. And the battery drain issue was indeed fixed, please check your facts - it was one of the main features of 7.1.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #15
neadams99

I have an update:
The KF can do TTS from (sideloaded) Montano if you add the books in PDF format (which end up in the Docs folder). I usually add them in EPUB (using my public Library and Caliber to deDRM them first) and since I've spent so much time invested in amassing the collection I hate to walk away from it. Is there any way to have the TTS feature for EPUB titles or have Montano find them in the Books folder? It natively searches for the books in Docs.