Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
Farley1240
Farley1240 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is there an eReader without the 'page turn' flicker?

New here and looking for some advice.

I want an eReader, been and had a play with the sony ereaders but the black flash on the page turn would make me dizzy after a while (Inner ear thing - a billion things make me dizzy). In fact it was starting to do so after ten minutes when I was checking it out in waterstones.

So my question is, are there eReaders available that don't do that/

I know you can get 'tablet' type ones but LCD isn't great on the eyes for long reading periods is it, so I'd like, if I can, to avoid that.

I did see the jetbook whilst I was out looking, which claimed to have an ePaper screen and suffered no black flash, but the reviews don't look great. Apparently file format support is limited.

So my question is, does anyone know of another ebook reader that doesn't have the black flash on page turns?

Thanks for any advice.
Farley1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
Farley1240

Agh, I've posted this in the wrong place. Can a mod please move it to the 'Which should I buy?' forum?
Old 11-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
All the eInk readers have some form of "flash" - it can be turned off on some, but then you can get excessive "ghosting" on the screen.

So you'll want something that's not eInk. Like the Alurtek, Jet Book...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome to MR Farley!

I have a jetBook Lite, and am very pleased with it. I don't know why anyone would say that its selection of formats is less than excellent.

The JBL has a reflective TFT screen, like a calculator or a digital wristwatch. It is not backlit, and therefore does not strain the eyes.

You don't say where you are located. Newegg.com currently has the JBL for $99 including a free leather slipcase.

The JetBook has its own forum here, and I suggest you browse through the many threads to get an idea of how people feel about it.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
Farley1240

Thanks for the replies. I'm in the UK.

Can you get cases with lights on for the jetbook?

Last edited by Farley1240; 11-05-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farley1240 View Post
Can you get cases with lights on for the jetbook?
Not that I'm aware of. There is no cover for a jetBook. The case is for when not using the device.

I guess people would use a clip on light. I don't recall any JBL owner ever commenting on it.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
The Elonex 511EB has the flicker turned off. You do get a little ghosting gradually, but then you can press a refresh button to do a flicker to clean up the screen. This means that you tend to do the refresh when you reach appropriate points in the book rather than every page. This actually works quite well as those points come up regularly - section breaks and chapter breaks for example - and are rarely at the end of a screen page.

Not having the flicker also makes the page turn much faster, so it helps while you're reading.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #8
Farley1240

I really like the look of the Elonex compared to the jetbook. I can only find a few UK retailers though and at £130 it seems pretty expensive to me. Especially since the aluratek libre is £80.

I am seriously wish I could get a kindle, it just seems so much easier, a load of accessories available, very easy access to books etc. Damn dizziness.