Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
how to read / convert comics (.cbz)

I just found and added some comic books to my Calibre library. It accepted them OK but has no internal reader ?

So what do folks use to view these on PC and can the be converted/read on Sony or Kindle devices ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Use an external reading application. And yes, you can convert them, but readability of the output depends quite a bit on how large your screen is. If in doubt, try.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Two viewers for comics for PC are CDisplay and ComicRack.
ComicRack is also alibrary system for comics as well.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkin View Post
Two viewers for comics for PC are CDisplay and ComicRack.
ComicRack is also alibrary system for comics as well.
thanks, I'll try those. I'd tried a java thingie called cbviewer but was not impressed with it.

to try a comic on kindle or sony readers , do I convert to pdf ?
Old 09-30-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
thanks, I'll try those. I'd tried a java thingie called cbviewer but was not impressed with it.

to try a comic on kindle or sony readers , do I convert to pdf ?
Depends. Normally, I would recommend converting to the readers native format just because. If your reader allows for zooming in PDFs, it might be worth to use that instead for readability reasons- those fonts can get pretty small.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:45 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard

seems comicRack & windows 7 64 bit do not play together.
comicRack is telling me it needs .net framework v4 but that's already there in win 7 ?
Old 10-01-2010, 02:55 AM   #7
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
seems comicRack & windows 7 64 bit do not play together.
comicRack is telling me it needs .net framework v4 but that's already there in win 7 ?
If in doubt, re-install. Microsofts homepage should have the download you need.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:04 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
If in doubt, re-install. Microsofts homepage should have the download you need.
seemed to do the trick -thanks.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:16 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard

update - the day after forcing the .net 4 install which comicrack wanted I was plagued by BSOD ( which has never happened before on this PC ) . After a nightmare day of running hardware tests, failed system restores ( due to trusteer - rapport crap) , registry restores via ERNDT,and a full repair of office & of the default .net 4 client profile ( repair via control panel) -the BSODs seem to have stopped ( fingers crossed).

that could all be co-incidence, but it's hard to find anything else to blame.
except that there was a windows update which installed when I shut down after the comicrack & .net4 install, which complicated the system restore issue.
Every random BSOD occured when opening or closing some new window on screen . it was not software specific though Outlook was a persistent offender) & was with various stop codes / messages.. I had bad pool error, page fault in non-paged area, system service exception...
I'm guessing that outlook relies on .net framework. could be that the microsoft download does not check PC specs and that it put on a 32 bit version instead of 64 bit - who knows. I think ati catalyst drivers also link into .net framework which could explain the BSODs as always there was a screen refresh involved, due to opening / closing a window.

Anyway I will not be touching the .net install again & comicrack is binned. I'm not that fussed about reading comics!

PS I did see, when googling .net 4, reports of BSOD after installing it, on another board but I can't seem to re-loacate those now.

Last edited by cybmole; 10-04-2010 at 03:39 AM.