Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2009, 07:38 AM   #1
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Sad tale that ends happily!

On Monday, I went to give blood at a local Red Cross drive and being a typical blood drive, I knew it would take a while so I took my PRS505 and red it. When I was done, I rounded up my kids picked up my back-pack and went out to get in the car. I went back to work, met my wife and other kids for supper and went home. When I went to go to work the next day, I went looking for my book... I tried to remember where I had it last, but couldn't remember using it past the blood drive. I called the church and asked if anyone had turned it in, called the Red Cross, call the local police, drove back around to where I had been... nothing. I received a final call from some one I had left a message with and they hadn't seen it. Finally, about 7:00 last night I gave up and accepted that it was gone for good and that I would have to start saving for a new one.

About 15 minutes later, I received a call from someone that asked if I had lost something... I said yes and explained what it was. I thought he was someone from the church that had the blood drive, but it turns out, it was a gentleman that lived about 2 miles around the corner from me, he had found it along a country road about 2 miles from his house (4 from mine) and thought it looked like something important so he picked it up. Thanks to JeffElkins' PRSCustomizer, the were able to get my name and phone number from the about page. If only Sony had done this by default!

So, not only was someone able to contact me because of a "hack", but there was a great human being honest enough to call and return it, but it survived a fall off the roof of my 1.75 m tall jeep going over 55 MPH! The only damage was a little cover scuffing and 1 little dink in the corner of the metal casing. The screen is perfect, the light is still good! I have the SonyWedge light, inside of a leather daytimer cover with a zipper.

To those that carry their's everywhere, I suggest you grab PRSCustomizer and put your information in it and get a durable cover that complete closes with a zipper or velcro.

I am ecstatic that I have it back, with just a few cosmetic reminders of it's ordeal!
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
wow, i am really glad there was a happy ending to this story !! i would be miserable if i lost mine and reading the middle part i was feeling so sad for you ! that is excellent advice ; everyone should make sure their name and contact info are easily found somewhere, just in case, and a good case is clearly no luxury. congratulations to you for taking steps to make sure your sony could get back to you, and also for your luck in having it fall into the right hands, when you lost it ! but still, let's hope you never go through that again.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Where does one find PRSCustomizer ?
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
jedavis1
Zealot

You can get it from the Dev Center in this forum: Here!
Old 09-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Wow! You are so very lucky. I dread having anything happen to my 505. I have a zippered padded case for mine and always keep it closed when not reading.

I sure hope you showed your heartfelt gratitude to the gentleman who found it and called you (maybe even demonstrated it to him also).
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Wow! That's quite a story!! Glad your 505 made it through with only minor damage! And that it was found by someone who cared enough to get it back to you!

One thing I've done in addition to adding my name with the PRS Customizer is to tape one of my business cards to the inside back cover. I figure that way, someone doesn't even have to figure out how to turn the device on in order to contact me.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
jedavis1
Zealot

I tried to give the man some "encouragement" in the form of money, but he wouldn't hear of it. I tried several times, but no dice. I am just glad there are people like that still around.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedavis1 View Post
I tried to give the man some "encouragement" in the form of money, but he wouldn't hear of it. I tried several times, but no dice. I am just glad there are people like that still around.
Sigh. That does make you feel good, doesn't it?

Would he be single, by any chance?

Age, looks - don't matter nearly as much as pure decency.

Sigh again.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #9
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Wow great story. Thanks for sharing it.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #10
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
This would make a great movie! Told completely from the 505's perspective as it changes hands from one person to another. We would have to add a long list of eccentric people who come upon the 505, have some magical adventure happen before losing it again for another to find, eventually finding it's way back to you where it guides you though its adventures through the eink screen. You both live happily ever after.

Kinda like Milo and Otis but with an electronic reader instead of a cat and a dog.

Or maybe I am crazy.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:25 PM   #11
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Wow! That's amazing! What a great story. It puts a big smile on my face just reading about it.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:49 PM   #12
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedavis1 View Post
it survived a fall off the roof of my 1.75 m tall jeep going over 55 MPH!
As John Cameron Swayze would say: "The Sony Reader, it takes a licking and keeps on ticking."
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:54 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Congrats... glad you got it back. any idea how it got there?

I've done the, put something on the car and forget I did it then drive away. (Never with the baby seat with the baby in it though, that god.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:19 AM   #14
jedavis1
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Congrats... glad you got it back. any idea how it got there? (Never with the baby seat with the baby in it though, that god.)

BOb
When I was leaving the blood drive, my son and his friend still hadn't been called back yet, and they had both been setting their for about 1.5 hours. I was talking to one of the Red Cross helpers telling them this while trying to get my iPhone back from my son and getting my back-pack all while trying to wrangle up my 6, almost 7 year-old daughter... Little bit distracted. I must have had my book in one had and back-pack in the other, but needed to get my keys for the car in my pocket, so I must have put my book on top of my car and then left it there while I got my daughter and other stuff into the car. What I am completely baffeled by is the fact that it waited to fall off. I had drove around town, starting, stopping, turning, getting in and out, more sharp turns...
Old 09-03-2009, 07:27 AM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
WOw! There are good people in the world!

I'm going to make sure my name/contact is in and on my 505!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote