Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-21-2014, 03:00 AM   #1
cbrace
cbrace began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Kobo Aura HD: "database disk image is malformed"

Hi all,

Calibre is recognizes my Kobo Aura HD when I connect the latter via USB cable and I can send files to it. But when I try to browse the device, it throws up an error message:
Code:
database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 85, in run
    self.result = self.func(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 476, in _books
    mainlist = self.device.books(oncard=None, end_session=False)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 1722, in books
    for i, row in enumerate(cursor):
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed
Any thoughts on what might be going wrong here?

My OS is Linux Mint v16.
cbrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:37 AM   #2
cbrace

It appears the version of Calibre in the Ubuntu repository is more than a few months old, so I downloaded and installed v1.20.

Still can't browse the device. I see this under Update cached meta on device:

Code:
'list' object has no attribute 'set_debugging_title'

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 86, in run
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 520, in _sync_booklists
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 923, in sync_booklists
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 2156, in update_device_database_collections
AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'set_debugging_title'
Strangely enough I don't have this problem on my Windows laptop at work. Hmmm....

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-21-2014 at 03:58 AM. Reason: added closed code bracket
Advert
Old 01-21-2014, 05:02 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I put the following in the bug you raised, but there might be something more going on.

Quote:
That means the database on the device is corrupt. The device is probably working OK in most ways. You will most likely see problems if you power off and on. Most of the time you are using the device it uses a cached copy and it is only when it needs to be written or read, that problems are seen.

The fix is a new database. The simplest way is to log off on the device. It will restart and take you through the basic setup, During that, a new database will be created and then the books on the device will be reloaded. If there are still issues after this, a factory reset might be needed.
Have you retested with the Windows machine since seeing this error under Linux? One of the causes of the database corruption is not correctly ejecting the device. If you missed this at work, then the corruption would be seen the next time it was connected.

The only reasons I can think of for the difference between the computers are the cable or port used. Some problems like this have been seen with faulty cables or ports. If you can try another, that would be good.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:38 AM   #4
cbrace

Logging out and then in again fixed it. Thanks!

I'll close the bug at Launchpad.

In the future I'll be more vigilant about explicitly ejecting the Kobo.