Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-10-2007, 03:53 PM   #61
Ravenflight
Connoisseur
Ravenflight began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Macbook, iPhone
Thermoplastic doesn't affect rfi by itself- true. But have you ever opened a plastic case and found the inside painted with a metalic silvery or copper paint? Ever wonder why a company would go to the expense and trouble to paint the inside of their device?
Ravenflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:54 PM   #62
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
A point, but changing the outer shape of the casing wouldn't necessarily mean needing to change the inner shape.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2007, 05:14 PM   #63
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenflight View Post
Is that photo a true representation of what the Kindle is supposed to look like??? If so that is one of the ugliest pieces of consumer electronics I have ever seen!
Ok, this is gonna sound really bad, but I sorta dig that retro sci-fi look. But I don't think that is what it's going to look like. They are just trying to throw the competition off.

But I like it. It has a Space: 1999 kinda vibe.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:40 PM   #64
RalphTrickey
Enthusiast
RalphTrickey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenflight View Post
Thermoplastic doesn't affect rfi by itself- true. But have you ever opened a plastic case and found the inside painted with a metalic silvery or copper paint? Ever wonder why a company would go to the expense and trouble to paint the inside of their device?
No. I know electroncs. It's the same reason that the EVDO piece will probably be in a metal box.
RalphTrickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:27 PM   #65
Ravenflight
Connoisseur
Ravenflight began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Macbook, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
Ok, this is gonna sound really bad, but I sorta dig that retro sci-fi look. But I don't think that is what it's going to look like. They are just trying to throw the competition off.

But I like it. It has a Space: 1999 kinda vibe.
I just hope this is not the final design they're going with. I'd hate to see another poorly designed ebook reader fail. Especially one from a company with the influence of Amazon. They have the resources and connections to create a device that could be the ipod of books. Be a shame to see them blow it.
Ravenflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2007, 09:43 PM   #66
happyreader
Pleasant page turner
happyreader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Kindle 2, iPhone
Well, Amazon did buy Mobipocket so who knows what to expect from them.

All I know is that if this is the final look of the device the owners are going to be in for some serious public ridicule.
happyreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:06 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyreader View Post

All I know is that if this is the final look of the device the owners are going to be in for some serious public ridicule.
it won't be any worse then someone walking around with a blutooth ear piece attached to the ear. That's rather silly looking.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:39 PM   #68
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
it won't be any worse then someone walking around with a blutooth ear piece attached to the ear. That's rather silly looking.
Lol! This is too funny, yet true! I get a kick out of seeing all those people constantly wearing their BT headsets for no apparent reason other than to attract attention to themselves. It also reminds me of the people who used to, and some still do, wear the wired headsets and walk around looking like they're talking to themselves. First time I saw someone doing this, I thought he was talking to me before I saw the wire. Come on, are you so busy you can't sit down or stand somewhere out of the way for the few minutes the phone call will take? Or better yet, take the 10 seconds that's needed to put the earpiece in? Even funnier is that it's not usually the stereo-typical geeks doing this either, but someone trying to *look* cool.

</rant>
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:32 AM   #69
RalphTrickey
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyreader View Post

Check out the manual. It's inside a leather book cover.
It still looks tacky, but better at least.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:51 AM   #70
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated."
Old 09-13-2007, 12:29 PM   #71
RalphTrickey
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated."
I've had that comment more than once. The problem is that there is no place else to put an earpiece.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:14 PM   #72
NatCh
Gizmologist

I'm sure there are some clever souls who could suggest other places to put an earpiece, probably suggest an orientation too.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:50 PM   #73
RalphTrickey
Enthusiast

I have though about pinning it to my left lapel and saying I was a 'Trekkie'...
Old 09-13-2007, 04:52 PM   #74
NatCh
Gizmologist

Ooooo. That must be especially tempting to someone with your last name.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:05 PM   #75
RalphTrickey
Enthusiast