Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #16
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
arrrrRRRRhhhh!!!! and avast and sh*t
Nah, the female book pirates don't say avast, they say avax.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #17
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
bbbut avast rhymes with mast!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #18
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Pirating the Harry Potter books is not damaging anyone's sales, because there are no digital versions to buy.
It is if it keeps you from buying a paper copy, which would be true in most cases I would think.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #19
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
It is if it keeps you from buying a paper copy, which would be true in most cases I would think.
Everyone I know who has digital copies of the HP series also has paper copies. They use the digital versions for fanfic research, because paper doesn't come with search options.

An argument could be made that bootleg digital copies now could cost Rowling & WB sales of authorized digital copies later--but the Tolkien ebooks seem to sell plenty of copies, despite bootlegs having been available for at least a decade first.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #20
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Everyone I know who has digital copies of the HP series also has paper copies. They use the digital versions for fanfic research, because paper doesn't come with search options.
Really? I only know two people with digital copies, neither of them have the paper books. They both came late to the series and never bothered to buy the books, and neither one of them writes fanfic. Maybe they're unique, but I really doubt it.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2011, 01:08 AM   #21
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
There are six full dead tree Harry Potter sets in our family.

A digital ebook set was one of the first requests from one of our daughters when we gave her a PRS-300 for her Christmas present. She wanted to re-read the series but a baby daughter meant that it was easier to read them on an ereader. She did ask if they could be purchased first though.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:13 AM   #22
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i have to admit that it does irk me to hear my "older" sister speak of pirating ebooks when she has a perfectly good job and above-average income (like, very much above-average).
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:23 AM   #23
Ivy
Sometimes I purr.
Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
"Older women" over thirty five
I was about to comment on this, and I'm only 25.

I can honestly say e-books have not driven me to digital piracy.
Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:33 AM   #24
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Exactly. I'm 30, and Napster was at it's peak during my senior year of high school.
I always wondered if that was a picture of you that you display. Now I know for certain it is .
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:35 AM   #25
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
Forty is the new thirty, but thirty is the new sixty.
Thirty can't be the new 60 because that would make me a centenarian and I've got a little bit more oomph than that.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:41 AM   #26
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
i have to admit that it does irk me to hear my "older" sister speak of pirating ebooks when she has a perfectly good job and above-average income (like, very much above-average).
While I don't approve of piracy by ebookers, I similarly don't approve of piracy by the Agency 6. Which raises yet another conundrum: Is it piracy to pirate from pirates? Or is it a civic duty, a social responsibility, a matter of proper civil disobedience to pirate from pirates so as to provide them with a taste of their own bitter medicine?
Old 05-19-2011, 05:50 AM   #27
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
I especially liked the article that used "grannies" in the headline - "grannies"? Seriously?
There's a 30 year old granny lives down the road from me.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:04 AM   #28
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't find a list of questions asked, and without them the results are meaningless. It also doesn't say who carried out the research. Research like this usually tends to be industry-funded with a specific result in mind before it is carried out. Then they have something good to show the government when they ask for new laws.

There must be billions of women over 35 alive today, so if they all buy 52 books a year at $10 a book that means the book industry is losing squigglions of dollars per day. SOMETHING MUST BE DONE ABOUT THIS!
Old 05-19-2011, 06:28 AM   #29
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
Survey: Driving cars lets older women cause accidents!

According to a representative and meaningful study, women over the age of 35 may possibly cause a car accident while driving! Since women were allowed to drive on their own, the number of women actually causing accidents significantly rose within the very first years!
Has there ever been a study on MP3 and older music listeners? Surely they bought all the songs ... my, provide people (yup, even women) with a means to copy, and they will. This has been true since the very first tape cassette.

Why should it be any different for pBooks and eBooks this time?

Last edited by K-Thom; 05-19-2011 at 06:31 AM.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:21 AM   #30
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Does this dress make me look like I've got avast behind?

Tags
ages, ereaders, older, piracy, women