Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you think of the current MobileRead Logo
I love it, it must never be changed, my personal world would fall off its axis! 1 1.08%
It's fine the way it is. 8 8.60%
I'd kinda like to see something else. 72 77.42%
I hate it as I hate roaches, as I loathe the scum growing inside disused toilets, as .... 7 7.53%
*I* would like to design a new one! I'll attach it below when I get something! 5 5.38%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2007, 10:25 AM   #61
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I like Steve's version with the hand and page a lot... just add the rings. Maybe with the ones and zeros like Mercury7 has.

Are you thinking of changing the favicon, too? It's not so indicative of the site right now, but I do use it to find the right tab if I have several up.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:56 AM   #62
mercury7
mercury7 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
My thought on this is something that is simple and visually indicative of what we're doing, but less hardware-specific:
...and a little further:

mercury7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2007, 11:02 AM   #63
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury7 View Post
...and a little further:
Nice. Add some floating control buttons, too!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:08 AM   #64
mercury7

Quote:
Nice. Add some floating control buttons, too!
Not sure I understand, Steve. Can you make a sketch?

Here's one with rings:
Old 08-25-2007, 11:10 AM   #65
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Not sure I understand, Steve. Can you make a sketch?

Here's one with rings:
I think he means to add a few buttons like in his logo, to make the page look like some ebook reader.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2007, 11:25 AM   #66
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thusly:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MRlogo3.gif
Views:	413
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	5110  
Old 08-25-2007, 11:41 AM   #67
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Or so-ly:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MRlogo4.gif
Views:	378
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	5111  
Old 08-25-2007, 11:45 AM   #68
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
Maybe the bottom half of the page could be zeros and ones fading into letters and words in the top half. And MobileRead should be a bit bigger and bolder.
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:19 PM   #69
mercury7

With buttons:

Last edited by mercury7; 08-25-2007 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Modified the buttons a bit.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:01 PM   #70
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Thusly:
I like those. Very nice. Device agnostic, but shows that it is a book in "e" form.
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 02:04 PM   #71
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
With buttons:
Cool logo.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 02:57 PM   #72
lexico
Lexicographer
lexico began at the beginning.

Device: IBM X 41 T, Samsung D500, Nokia N 800
Lightbulb Slanting thin screen ...

... is really nice. Needs the 3D, and gives the paper-thin feel.

Constructive comments:

-- the buttons scattered around do not add much; and imply a certain interface (why do I need buttons, why not just gesture across the screen to change the page?)

-- the oval rings behind give a nice continuity from the current logo (but they need to be hidden where they cross 'behind' the screen

-- many lines of text is a little too busy for a logo. Just put the words 'mobile read' in there? That may be a bit too empty .. so how about a graphic or an image below it? [hmm .. a simple tree?]. Books are not just text...

Lexico
lexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:16 PM   #73
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I like the idea of text in the logo. Since there are readers from all over the world that check out this site, the text should be the word "Welcome" in different languages. Of course because of the size of the logo it would be very hard if not impossible to read it is the thought that counts.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:42 PM   #74
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

I don't think the actual text in the logo is important... unless you plan on displaying it very large, no one's going to be able to read it anyway. At the size of the current logo, everyone will be able to recognize that it is text, even if they can't actually read it. (And at smaller sizes, it doesn't matter what language it's in.)

Personally, I don't have a problem with not carrying the rings over into a new logo. To me, the rings suggest wireless, but this site is about mobility, which isn't necessarily connected to wirelessness. OTOH, I wouldn't curse the gods if the rings were there. Maybe, instead of text on the screen, the rings would be on the screen as a logo...
Old 08-25-2007, 06:46 PM   #75
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexico View Post
Constructive comments:

-- the buttons scattered around do not add much; and imply a certain interface (why do I need buttons, why not just gesture across the screen to change the page?)
I put the floating buttons in, to make sure the viewer recognized that they were indeed looking at some type of electronic device (books don't have buttons). They are not necessarily logical, but visually they are iconic.