Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
Mystify
Mystify began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Does Reset to Factory defaults remove hacks.

Title says it all.

I have been trying to get the usbNetwork working on my Kindle2 (B002) with firmware 2.5.7, but I am having problems.

Since it's a second hand unit, I was kinda wondering if there were hacks installed already (or if one of the many that I have tried during this adventure may still be loaded and interfering)

If I "Reset to Factory Defaults" - will that unload any hacks that may have been installed?

If not, is there a way that I could completely clear everything to return to an "out of the box" state?

if not, is there a way I can tell which ones ARE installed so that I could possibly track down and run their uninstaller?
Mystify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
fulltimer
Enthusiast
fulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: K2, K3(3G-WIFI), Fire
It did on my wife's K2 that we sent back on a warranty replacement.

I clicked on the reset to factory link and it removed the hacks and the books and when it restarted it showed the original welcome screen.

don
fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Yes. But not the firmware updates for some reason.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
I wouldn't rely on it to remove everything. Alterations to system files won't be reverted by doing a factory restore as the Kindle doesn't keep a backup copy of those around. If the hack was based around altering some setting somewhere then it may revert it when it does a factory reset.

You've got a K2 which does have complete firmware images available unlike the K3 which relies on a patching system. If you can force it to install a previous version or the same version then it'll wipe out all hacks.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:37 PM   #5
Mystify
Mystify began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Thanks Tiersten

I don't think I can get it to go "backwards" as when I put older firmware on it, it doesn't allow for the update... I will try again with the same firmware file and see if that does it.
Mystify is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
hacks, reset, uninstall