Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-23-2012, 04:12 AM   #1
themechaniac
Before PC and onward !
themechaniac doesn't litterthemechaniac doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox+ Itouch +Acer A500 + Acer Aspire One
Duhh!!! build qualitiy complaints.???and speed

I've had this thing apart several times. Finger nails to start around back cover guitar pick to push in little tabs carefully. Pry battery up with guitar pick (sticky on back). Unplug battery I used tweezers. Remove small Phillips screws all same size. ( quality) screwed into brass inserts. Fingernails to start around outside of screen. Again used guitar pick to ease the tabs free.(work your way around case carefully. With case off you will see the SD card in holder near top. It is the same as camera card push in release hear a click remove carefully with tweezers. (Fat fingers). Do your Linux stuff with card and reassemble. It all clicks together and screws down smoothly. Very impressed with fit and quality. When all updated it runs very well for a reader, bear in mind it is a single processer and a lot of phones now have dual processors. I like the removable card, opens up many possibilities. I don't like the way the boot has been crippled--eg backups and updates. No Google market installed not a deal breaker for my wife. Who just wants books, emails,a little web surfing and pictures :-) got her hooked on gready spiders. Plays movies and music so so. But hey I come back to (it is a reader)
I have a lot of tablets, computers, iPods, iPads, MPEG players in my family to compare it to and it stacks up well, except for this update zip feasco (odd it didn't hit the first time at Christmas). That I put down to poor programing and marketing policies. I hope that
changes. My wife is not a computer person has a hard time focusing on screens. Can't deal with lights that flicker gives her migrains. She also doesn't, like complicated options.
Hmm!!! Now she can not do without here Vox , there was talk of immediate replacement .

Get those zips out as a file upload first. Give me a choice to update. Inform your customers
A lot of people don't know what programs are needed too get library books or what reading programs they can run.(runs them all Kindle, Overdrive, Lumibooks and probably some I don't use. Ouch that hurts your store. (Yes I do have Kobo on all my devices works great) But happy people buy stuff unhappy go elsewhere and only tell there friends.
Enough venting.
themechaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
pcampbell
pcampbell began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
Yeah, the updates and even initial setup process itself was not handled very well, I'll be the first to admit that. But the hardware is pretty solid. The capacitive touch is actually a good quality glass, lcd is bright and such.

Its just the updates and first setup that makes me cry
pcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote