Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-29-2006, 11:19 AM   #46
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I highly recommend that you email Customer Service and inform them when they are charging hardback prices for books that are out in paperback. They will fix it within 24-48 hours.

I don't understand why people are posting their findings here instead of emailing Connect directly. They do respond.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:02 PM   #47
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Prowly 'cause we've got a thread for it, Michele.

I'm beginning to wonder if they don't have a two server type of set up. I mean one "source server" from which a "production server" is updated on a scheduled basis. That might explain the re-changing prices -- if they only corrected the prices on the server that we see & buy from, and not the source server, then the changes would get wiped out as soon as it refreshed.

If that is the case, then perhaps SonyStyle needs to train their SysAdmins a bit better.

Last edited by NatCh; 10-30-2006 at 11:41 AM. Reason: typo
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2006, 05:30 PM   #48
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele
I don't understand why people are posting their findings here instead of emailing Connect directly.
Because complaining here and making them change the prices is way cooler than complaining directly at them.
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:25 AM   #49
Morbius
Morbius began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele
I don't understand why people are posting their findings here instead of emailing Connect directly. They do respond.
Well, in my experience this is simply not true...within the first two days of my Reader purchase, I emailed customer service twice about multiple book prices that were obviously way too high. Each time, the reponse I got from them was that they don't set the prices, the publishers do.

When I would then quiz them as to why the publisher would "force" Sony to sell a book at almost twice the price that the "publisher" would allow Amazon, Barnes&Noble, or some other site to sell it at, they had no answer.

So when I started relaying those experiences here, the thread hit a nerve with others, and the idea for this ongoing list was put into place, in hopes that enough folks with enough different titles showing this issue would (when Bob forwarded it to someone at Sony) prompt them to take another look at their whole pricing scheme, as something is clearly wrong.

Now, if you actually have some contact at Sony yourself whom you think actually DOES go change prices as soon as you point them out, then perhaps you can go back through all posts in this thread and send the list of titles folks have mentioned to your contact. If they can actually change the prices for you, that would be great! But it certainly didn't work when I tried contacting them...
Morbius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:44 PM   #50
jasonbrent
jasonbrent began at the beginning.

10/31/06 - Once again, I do not purchase Anansi Boys from connect as it is still $15.96 and nearly twice that of the closest competitors and paperback vendors.

Sigh; I'm soon going to finish my current ebook and be ready to purchase my next and well, Sony isn't going to get my money at the current rate. Further, they are going to force me to speak bad things about a good device due to lack of content at prices that match their competitors.

Support doesn't work.. perhaps moaning here will work again... doubt it.

-jbl
jasonbrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2006, 01:38 PM   #51
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Sony changed the prices for a number of Lisa Scottoline novels back when I first mentioned it, and now they've all returned to the $15.96 mark.

Not only are these titles long in paperback, but ebooks.com and fictionwise.com sell the electronic versions for about $7.99.

When I was talking to their support about an old edition of a book which they were selling at hardcover prices, they sent me this bit of canned text:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony Connect Support
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Sony Connect!

Unfortunately we when we recieve the rights to sell the books on our site. The price is usually set at what we are allowed to sell those books at that price specifically. If the information I have provided does not completely answer your question, please update this incident so I may be of further assistance to you.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:08 PM   #52
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The English looks a bit iffy to be a template response...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:12 PM   #53
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
BuddyBoy, you sure you e-mailed the right folks? Seems like Sony outsourced their Connect store personell, which is weird considering that the Reader and the e-books are only offered to US customers.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:17 PM   #54
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The Connect Store is run by a different Division, SonyStyle, I think. The more I think about it, the more I think that da_jane is most likely correct that their book distribution rights might not be worldwide.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:08 PM   #55
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
The Connect Store is run by a different Division, SonyStyle, I think. The more I think about it, the more I think that da_jane is most likely correct that their book distribution rights might not be worldwide.
They cannot be worldwide before they study and adhere to every code of law, in concordance with copyright. Laws differ in every country. That takes a lot of time.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:57 AM   #56
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
BuddyBoy, you sure you e-mailed the right folks? Seems like Sony outsourced their Connect store personell, which is weird considering that the Reader and the e-books are only offered to US customers.
Oh yes, they were the right folks. They ended up giving me a credit on my account when I said I was going over their head to "head office."
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 03:00 PM   #57
airlik
Connoisseur
airlik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
The store just needs work...

I saw "Quicksilver" by Neal Stephenson... it listed on the Neal Stephenson page at $15.96. I clicked the title to get details... and it said it was $5.59. I added it to my cart, and it went back up to $15.96. I checked Amazon, and you can get the paperback for $10.85.

It's bad enough their prices are just not great, but when the price of an item varies that much depending on where you look at it... they really need to get it together or I'll just stop looking.
airlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:12 PM   #58
Peregrine
Enthusiast
Peregrine began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I checked out the three books of the Briar King trilogy by Gregory Keyes, it shows how strange the pricing is. The first book, the Briar King, is $3.99 on Connect, which is obviously fine, even cheaper than the alternatives. The second book, The Charnel Prince, is $14.36 which is way too expensive, Mobipocket has it for $6.99, it's $7.99 for Amazon paperback. The third book the Blood Knight is $14.36 but it just came out a few months ago, and is again a little cheaper than the competition. But that second book is definitely out of whack.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:34 AM   #59
melchioe
Addicted
melchioe began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Nooks, PRS-505, Kindles, lots of old ones
1 Fatal Flaw
2 Lashner, William
3 $15.96(Sony)
4 $6.75(Palm)
5 Paperback = Yes

1 Past due
2 Lashner, William
3 $15.96(Sony)
4 $7.19(Palm)
5 Paperback = Yes

1 Falls the Shadow
2 Lashner, William
3 $15.96(Sony)
4 $7.19(Palm)
5 Paperback = Yes

I emailed customer service about these titles last week (Thursday, Nov. 9), so I thought I'd take a crack at posting them here.
melchioe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:59 AM   #60
odklizec
odklizec began at the beginning.

1. Thud!
2. Terry Pratchett
3. Connect $15.96
4. Amazon $7.99
5. Mass Market Paperback
odklizec is offline   Reply With Quote