Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-17-2010, 06:46 AM   #31
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by singingbird View Post
And more to the point, with over one thousand people viewing this thread, is no-one else an owner of the samsung device?! No-one has downloaded one bestseller, recent publication, anything other than p.g. stuff???!!!
I did look at it (it's been out for a while now), but couldn't decide between it and the BeBook Neo (about the same price). And then I spent my money on something else
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:43 AM   #32
singingbird
Enthusiast
singingbird doesn't littersingingbird doesn't littersingingbird doesn't litter

Device: samsung sne60
What ended up being your proud purchase, by the way?
singingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #33
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur
MangaEbooker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Looks pretty nice but what is that button...Emolink?
MangaEbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #34
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Device: DXG, PRS-350
9.7 inch one looks very sleek.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_lCd...eature=related
I would make it in black mate though than white shiny. No prices, no nothing. I would be very glad to try one.
pashlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:29 AM   #35
singingbird
Enthusiast

The Emolink is a feature that allows you to share books with other samsung ereaders, but since I don't know of anyone else who has one, it's one of those nifty things you just won't use!
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 07:59 AM   #36
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pashlit View Post
9.7 inch one looks very sleek.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_lCd...eature=related
I would make it in black mate though than white shiny. No prices, no nothing. I would be very glad to try one.
You will never see it:

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/adv.ph...n-1128355.html

They dropped eink screens production and they will not market other eink readers anymore:

" “We will launch a new e-book reader next year but it will use an LCD instead of e-paper,” said spokesman Kim Se-hoon by phone, refusing to say when the company halted e-paper production. He also declined to elaborate further on the size or other specifications of the forthcoming model."
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #37
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Device: DXG, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
You will never see it:

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/adv.ph...n-1128355.html

They dropped eink screens production and they will not market other eink readers anymore:

" “We will launch a new e-book reader next year but it will use an LCD instead of e-paper,” said spokesman Kim Se-hoon by phone, refusing to say when the company halted e-paper production. He also declined to elaborate further on the size or other specifications of the forthcoming model."
Quote:
But the production cost is higher than making LCD panels and the number of suppliers is limited, Kim added.
With limited supplies what s the future of i-ink technology?
pashlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:02 AM   #38
singingbird
Enthusiast

...hmmm, I wonder what will happen if the sales of the sne-60 are fine in the UK??
Old 09-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #39
pbarrette
pbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with others

Device: ASUS EeeNote
Hm...

I have deciphered the Samsung SNE-60/60K firmware format.

It consists of a header, followed by an XOR encrypted U-Boot uImage, followed by an XOR encrypted squashfs file system.

There are two XOR keys in the header. One is used for the uImage and the other is used to decrypt the filesystem.

I have also written a program for Windows .NET which will extract the two sections and decrypt them. It will also compute the firmware file's CRC and validate it against the CRC stored in the firmware header.

The program can be downloaded here.

To use it, just run the program then drag and drop a firmware update .bin file onto the window.

A screenshot of operation:

I hope this will allow people to start hacking away at the linux base OS and software that this thing runs.

I can provide source code as well, but need a little bit of time for some clean up and basic code commenting.

pb
pbarrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #40
singingbird
Enthusiast

ah ha! and will this let me put ade on the ereader???

[noooooooooooooo! is she still stuck on this problem? -ed.]

so tell me why, the sne-60 bought in whsmith will read ade, but mine won't...
Old 09-16-2010, 08:52 AM   #41
singingbird
Enthusiast

This just in...I spoke to the helpdesk at Samsung UK, and have found out the techies are putting the finishing touches on an update for the sne-60! Here's hoping this will sort out my ade nightmare

So those whose Korean is a bit wonky, good news! You can now visit the French and UK Samsung sites for other intel and updates on this nifty ereader
Old 09-16-2010, 05:08 PM   #42
onlyreader
onlyreader began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung SNE60
Quote:
Originally Posted by singingbird View Post
This just in...I spoke to the helpdesk at Samsung UK, and have found out the techies are putting the finishing touches on an update for the sne-60! Here's hoping this will sort out my ade nightmare

So those whose Korean is a bit wonky, good news! You can now visit the French and UK Samsung sites for other intel and updates on this nifty ereader
How do I anyways update the device with a firmware from the korean site? I downloaded it, but it always says "no file present" or something.

On the other side, I did register it with ade, no problem up to now, it was immediately found.

Just bought it few hours ago here in France, manufactured in June 2010, Firmware M-EB06S6FR-1000.1

Anyone knows how to update?
onlyreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:26 PM   #43
pbarrette
pbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with others

Device: ASUS EeeNote
Hi Onlyreader,

Extract SNE-60.bin from the downloaded zip file, then:
A] Put it on an SD card in a folder called "Firmware_Update", or
B] Connect the reader via USB and create a folder called "Firmware_Update" on the root of the drive and put the .bin file in it.
Then go to Settings -> Update Firmware.

It should then ask: "Do you want to update now?"
Then it should start updating and reboot when the update is complete.

At least, that's what the strings in the main application (called MainApp) suggests.

pb
pbarrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #44
onlyreader
onlyreader began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung SNE60
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarrette View Post
Hi Onlyreader,

Extract SNE-60.bin from the downloaded zip file, then:
A] Put it on an SD card in a folder called "Firmware_Update", or
B] Connect the reader via USB and create a folder called "Firmware_Update" on the root of the drive and put the .bin file in it.
Then go to Settings -> Update Firmware.

It should then ask: "Do you want to update now?"
Then it should start updating and reboot when the update is complete.

At least, that's what the strings in the main application (called MainApp) suggests.

pb
Thanks, but that did not work. I extracted the SNE-60.bin and put it on the Reader into this directory. I also tried with another version from the korean site, which had the file E60K.bin. But in any case, it said "no file present". Maybe there is a version dependency, so that french devices cannot be flashed with korean firmwares? Anyone managed to do it?

I will try next week, I had to return it because of a crack in the reader case. Not sure now if I should get a new one in exchange or get the money back. If the firmware update does not work.....
onlyreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:22 PM   #45
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
onlyreader

welcome to mobileread ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote