Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #31
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
"One additional criterion: formats. I have a number of texts in .html and .doc format, but I don't see whether either of these readers can handle them. Can they? If not, is there conversion software out there that can make them readable by one or the other? My wife and I just got Office 2007, and I've been told it can make a PDF out of just about any document. I know that both readers can read PDFs... but do they read PDFs well? Or does it make for awkward reading"

You can re-save word docs as RTF's then upload them to the Sony library. I have done this with several of my documents. I created a seperate file on my pc for converted word docs to RTF docs. I increase the size to 22 Arial save as an RTF & upload.

Last edited by cfrizz; 05-22-2010 at 11:33 AM.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:09 PM   #32
draj
draj began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-300
Hi,

I've been lurking for awhile and as I had a kobo and returned it and am now thinking about buying a prs-300, I thought I'd add my voice to the thread.

I bought a kobo reader ten days ago and today I returned it. The primary reason I returned it was the battery did not work as advertised. I only got approx. 500 page turns per charge. I also found the lack of collections and problem with font size (though the person I spoke to at chapters said that the upcoming update should fix some of the problems). The kobo software was also awful, though the fix for it is to use Calibre. My primary problem was with the battery and the different answers I kept receiving from the kobo help line. First I was told that there was a problem, then later that week I was told that perhaps the reader's stated 8000 page turns was overstated (?), and then two days ago I was told that yes the reader should get 8000 page turns.

Anyways, I went with the kobo initially because of the price and the fact I wanted a bare bones reader as my first device. I liked the sony pocket reader that I borrowed from a friend a few months ago but it was too expensive. I also found it to be faster in terms of page turns than the kobo (though this my subjective opinion and I suspect one is not actually faster than the other). While the sony prs-300 is not as cheap as it seems to be in the US (best price I've found in Canada is 179) at the moment, the price has dropped in the last couple of months and I think I'll end up buying one because as another poster put it, it works! Also, it is a lot more sturdy in construction than the kobo, which I found to be kind of flimsy/ fragile because of the plastic front and buttons that stuck out.
draj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #33
Shecky
Shecky doesn't litterShecky doesn't litter

Device: Sony Pocket PRS-300
Hmm. Nook Lite, eh? Grr. I hate decision-making.

I'm hearing, obviously, varying responses to the Kobo - some say it's flimsy, others say it's fine, some say it's smooth-working, others say it's a pain in the neck, etc. Think I'm going to wait a little longer to see what shakes loose on this.

Anyway, some further clarification on what interests me and what's irrelevant to me, if it helps you guys in your feedback (by the way, THANKS for everyone's comments so far!).

1) Page-turn speed is not necessarily a problem. I often find myself reading paperbacks standing up one-handed (hanging on to a subway strap with the other, for instance), and it already takes a bit to turn the page, so slow turns are not automatically deal-breakers. Just HOW slow might make a difference, though. I'm not into instant gratification, but some alacrity is always appreciated.
2) Price is ALWAYS a consideration.
3) Screen size? Ditto. The more text I can pack onto a page, the better (I've got good eyesight and am not bothered by small fonts). Ideally, I'd like a reader that's about the size of a paperback, with a screen that takes up most of the front and a text box that's about the same size as that of a paperback.
4) Ultra-long battery life is a concern, but not a huge one. I cannot recall the last time I had a block of time large enough to read 500 pages at a clip. However, recharging time would figure greatly as a factor in this - if the battery runs out quickly AND takes a long time to recharge, that would be a stopper.
5) A flimsy "feel" really doesn't concern me. While it's a pleasure to hold a device that feels sturdy and ergonomically fitting, remember that I'm used to holding paperbacks one-handed, and they feel REALLY flimsy and non-ergonomic. It's a net gain.
6) Actual flimsiness may or may not be a problem. I don't drop books and would not expect a manufacturer to cover for my clumsiness. That being said, if the reader doesn't stand up to normal handling (the occasional bang when it's bumped around inside a soft-side briefcase or backpack needs not to pose any problems), that would be a no-go.

So, to recap, the central issues are: readability (about a paperback page's worth of text at once, but I know I won't get that without a larger reader, so the most I can get would suffice), size (paperback book) and price. Everything else is more or less negotiable.

Last edited by Shecky; 05-27-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Shecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #34
Shecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
"One additional criterion: formats. I have a number of texts in .html and .doc format, but I don't see whether either of these readers can handle them. Can they? If not, is there conversion software out there that can make them readable by one or the other? My wife and I just got Office 2007, and I've been told it can make a PDF out of just about any document. I know that both readers can read PDFs... but do they read PDFs well? Or does it make for awkward reading"

You can re-save word docs as RTF's then upload them to the Sony library. I have done this with several of my documents. I created a seperate file on my pc for converted word docs to RTF docs. I increase the size to 22 Arial save as an RTF & upload.
Most interesting. Anyone out there know if the Kobo offers anything similar?

And, in general, how seamlessly would Calibre work with either reader?
Old 05-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #35
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I looked over Kobo's manual and it looks like the only documents it is able to read that you would drag & drop from you pc to your reader are pdf's.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 09:41 AM   #36
Shecky

Okay, now I'm getting twitchy; I've apparently been infected with the gotta-have-it-now bug. Finally laid hands on a working demo model of the Sony Touch, and I liked it. The Touch is still selling for $200 and I'm hoping the price lasts long enough for me to lay hands on a Kobo to compare.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:45 AM   #37
lmcread
Enthusiast
lmcread began at the beginning.

Device: none
hello.... I am new to all this ereader stuff and am here to learn .. so what better way than to ask all the users here...
between the kobo and sony ereaders... which is a better one to also use for surfing the web ?? and in turns of storage .. does any of these 2 of USB ports ?
lmcread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:23 PM   #38
Broccoli
Broccoli began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Product: PRST1BC
Per Unit Price: $144.99
Quantity: 1
Total Price: $144.99
Description: Reader Wi-Fi
Ship Method: Standard Delivery
Estimated Ship Date: 10/25/2011
Subtotal: $144.99
GST: $7.25
Promotional Discount: -$25.00
eCoupons: $25 off $100 purchase or more

If you are a Canadian, then buy the Sony as it is only a few dollars more. The Kobo is something you might have bought if you were saving a good amount of money. This is no longer the case (at least for now)
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:24 PM   #39
Broccoli
Broccoli began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
The promo code is SONYLOYALTY
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #40
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcread View Post
hello.... I am new to all this ereader stuff and am here to learn .. so what better way than to ask all the users here...
between the kobo and sony ereaders... which is a better one to also use for surfing the web ?? and in turns of storage .. does any of these 2 of USB ports ?
The answer is neither one. E-ink devices were designed to read books and they do that very well. They were not designed to display color, flash or java content, etc. The e-ink that gives them such a clear screen also requires a refresh when the contents of the screen changes. If you want something that surfs the web, checks email, etc., then you're better off with a tablet.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote